Nanticoke River Swim & Triathlon Association
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 8s
Overall Rank = 108/222
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

package pickup at Evolution Brewing (restaurant parking lot) evening before the race. Dinner at cousins house in Salisbury (rode the Eagleman course on Saturday, along with the Six Pilars Bike event). Breakfast of whole wheat english muffin, yogurt, hot tea. Ate a banana and sipped gatorade waiting for race to start. Got to the race about 8:20am - perfect timing.
Event warmup:

Racked bike, walked transition. Checked water temp (was told the night before that it was 65 in the jetty and 61 out in the open water). Put on sleeveless wetsuit and walked in the water - -no WAY was it 65 degrees. I was in 61 degrees on Thursday and this was definitely colder than 61. Ran back to the car and got my long sleeve wetsuit.
Swim
  • 17m 26s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was MUCH colder than we were told. I wore a lycra cap underneath my swim cap - perfect. As soon as we were allowed into the water, I bobbed up and down to get my face wet and get my breathing steady. Swam around for the 1:30 we had before our wave started. Great swim! Started up front and to the right of the pack, stayed close to the buoys and sighted every 6th stroke on the way out and every 8th stroke on the way back in. Lots of confusion out where the two orange buoys were near the yellow marker for the 3 mile swim. People did not know which buoy to turn at and folks were treading water to ask each other. Plus the buoys were bouncing all over the place - got bonked in the head with one. Small craft advisory (3 foot swells) delayed the 2 and 3 mile swim starts. We had about 100 yards of some pretty tough water. Just told myself not to fight it - roll with it. Did fine - only one face full of water. Now understand how someone could get sea sick swimming - only one fleeting moment when my stomach rolled with the waves.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Was really glad to get out of the rough water and back into the jetty. Started to pick up the pace on the way back - passing lots of folks at this point and feeling pretty strong. Swam until I my hand touched bottom then stood up and ran through the shoot.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

I knew this would be tougher with the long sleeved wetsuit and that I would have to put on a long sleeved shirt on a wet body. No way, was I heading out on the bike without the warmer clothes. I hate the cold and didn't want to waste energy having to maintain body heat that I really needed for the bike. Good decision. Also wore a skull cap inside my helmet and fleece gloves on my hands. So all of this took a bit longer to get on in transition.

Not sure how to dry off any quicker - roll the sleeves up on my shirt to put it on and then unroll them as I ride? Sleeves got stuck on my hands/arms.
Bike
  • 49m 15s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 18.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Target power 140 watts. Started out 150+ and was worried I would not be able to maintain. HR was in the 160's so needed to get this down. Eased back and settled into 140 watt range. Crosswinds for the most part. For the first time in any race, I was passing several riders, both men and women. This was pretty awesome for me - - my strength is increasing and all my weight training and nutrition is paying off. Sipped Gatorade throughout the ride. Watched heart rate - -stayed mostly in the upper 150's occasionally I saw 160 or 161. A little high, but figured it would be a short ride, so I could handle it. I was really hoping to finish in 45 minutes - a real stretch goal for me. Might have been able to push it a little more (was worried about the run) - had a few minutes were I lost focus and found myself day dreaming. My feet froze - problem with the cold. I opted NOT to wear my shoe covers because they take to long to put on. VERY glad I had the skull cover for my head, the fleece gloves (probably cost me some time as I was putting them on while I was riding out of the park) and the long sleeved shirt.

Perhaps reconsider the shoe covers - they definitely impacted my run. My toes were frozen until mile 2 when I could finally feel them again.

Actual Watts : 142
Average HR: 156 bpm

Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Love my dismount, I always come in very strong and stop short at the dismount. I think the volunteers think I'm going to fly on through (I just want to get the most out of my ride).

Stripped off long sleeve shirt and gloves, swapped out helmet for visor,switched shoes,ditched the sunglasses, grabbed my garmin, gatorade bottle and gel and then headed out of transition.

nothing.
Run
  • 24m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I am completely amazed at my time on the run - especially since I couldn't feel my feet for the first two miles. I grabbed my gel and my gatorade and didn't use either one. I ditched the gatorade at the water station. Good decision. My heart rate was too high to digest anything anyway and I was plenty hydrated from the bike. I kept passing folks and thought I had passed all the women within reach. Turns out there was one more just :15 seconds ahead of me.

nothing. This was a wonderful run :)

Post race
Warm down:

walked around, chatted with Jen and Ellen. Found Andrea. Checked the results. They stopped posting after the first 100 finishers and I knew my time was seconds after they stopped posting, so I had to wait around 1.5 hours to find out if I actually placed or not.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hesitant to push harder on the bike, knowing I wanted to do well on the run.

Event comments:

This is a great race. The course is fun (flat and fast) - the water can be cold (and choppy), but lots of volunteers, well organized, great food available to everyone (not just race participants). Nice shirt! (and swim cap) - - wish I had won a pair of socks (always useful, especially on a cold day).

Temp (per iphone) at start of race 48 degrees, at end of race 51 degrees. Winds 15 mph ENE.

This was my first EVER triathlon in 2009 where I placed 12 out of 12 in my age group. I was thrilled to win 3rd in my age group today (out of 14). NOTE: There were 14 in my age group and the first 2 placed first and second for women overall, so we all moved up two spaces, making me the third place winner (I'll take it!!).

2013:

Time 1:36:08
Swim 17:26
T1 3:33
Bike 49:15
T2 :57
Run 24:58

2009:

Time: 2:07:00
Swim 23:06
T1 3:59
Bike 1:07:33
T2 1:21
Run 31:03

Last updated: 2013-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:26 | 875 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 0/222
Performance: Good
Suit: Long Sleeved
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:15 | 15.2 miles | 18.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 0/222
Performance: Good
Actual Watts 142 HR Avg 156
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: flat out and back with circle on small side roads that require you to basically stop to turn.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 73
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good