General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 50 Miler training-North Face DC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-07 11:41 AM

New user

Annapolis
Subject: 50 Miler training-North Face DC

I'm getting ready to do the North Face 50 in DC.  This will be my first Ultra so I have a couple of questions if you guys have a minute:

-I have completed two runs of 40 miles and each time around 32 my legs get really heavy and slow.  I've figured out the nutrition and am averaging around 210 calories per hour.  My water intake is still a little low.  Is the 30 mile barrier common to beginning ultra runners? Or is this a lack of training/water issue? 

-Do the majority of people carry a camelback with them?  I have been training with one and could go either way on race day due to the multitude of rest stations.  Is it just extra weight that will add up in the end?

-Do GPS watches work back in the woods of this course?  I have a 910 but am thinking of just wearing a regular watch.

-Does anyone have a recommendation of a place to stay the night before?  

Thanks! 

2013-05-07 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4731289

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: 50 Miler training-North Face DC
Roger23 - 2013-05-07 11:41 AM

I'm getting ready to do the North Face 50 in DC.  This will be my first Ultra so I have a couple of questions if you guys have a minute:

-I have completed two runs of 40 miles and each time around 32 my legs get really heavy and slow.  I've figured out the nutrition and am averaging around 210 calories per hour.  My water intake is still a little low.  Is the 30 mile barrier common to beginning ultra runners? Or is this a lack of training/water issue? I don't think there is really a common "barrier" per se, but it's pretty common to feel heavy and slow after running that distance.  There isn't really much you can do about it, except keep running.  If you run 30+ miles, you're going to feel tired, heavy and slow.

-Do the majority of people carry a camelback with them?  I have been training with one and could go either way on race day due to the multitude of rest stations.  Is it just extra weight that will add up in the end? Some people use camelbacks, some don't.  It depends on the race and what support is provided really.  Most ultras I've done have aid stations every 4-6 miles, so I like to run with a handheld and not a backpack and just fill it up at each aid station.  I would go with whatever you've been training with.

-Do GPS watches work back in the woods of this course?  I have a 910 but am thinking of just wearing a regular watch. Sorry, I haven't done this course.

-Does anyone have a recommendation of a place to stay the night before?   I like camping out at the race site if it's allowed, that makes for the ultimate ultra experience!

Thanks! 

GOOD LUCK!

2013-05-10 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4731289

User image

I'm getting ready to do the North Face 50 in DC.  This will be my first Ultra so I have a couple of questions if you guys have a minute:  I'm running the 50K as my first ultra.  I've done the 13.1 for the last couple years and decided to take on the challenge.  This is my usual long run course.

-I have completed two runs of 40 miles and each time around 32 my legs get really heavy and slow.  I've figured out the nutrition and am averaging around 210 calories per hour.  My water intake is still a little low.  Is the 30 mile barrier common to beginning ultra runners? Or is this a lack of training/water issue? I wish my legs made it 32 miles before getting heavy and slow!  Be sure you are taking in enough water/electrolytes.   It can also be pretty hot and humid.  I think it was close to 90 at 8 am last year.  It has been a cooler spring.

-Do the majority of people carry a camelback with them?  I have been training with one and could go either way on race day due to the multitude of rest stations.  Is it just extra weight that will add up in the end?  A lot of people will have a Camelbak with them but plenty will just have a handheld.  I'm slow and train with one b/c there is nothing out there in the way of a refill except on race day. 

-Do GPS watches work back in the woods of this course?  I have a 910 but am thinking of just wearing a regular watch.  My Timex GPS works so does my phone.  You are not far from civilization on the course which I am reminded of when Marine One and its counterparts fly in/out of DC and I can see the pilots outline.  

-Does anyone have a recommendation of a place to stay the night before?  There are cabins at the park but no tent camping areas.  Not sure what the host hotel is but I know t TNF makes a big deal about shuttling.  I live a few miles from the park and when my family visits they stay at 

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/iadtc-courtyard-dulles-town-center/

This course can get pretty muddy especially after the rain this week with more coming this weekend.  They have built some stream crossings over the last year or so.  I was down at the Potomac yesterday couldn't believe the amount and speed of water flowing.  Two weeks ago I was coughing dust b/c it was so dry.  I bet the view @ Great Falls is spectacular.  Hoping to get out on the course for my final long run this weekend.  

Always a great weekend of racing. 

2013-05-21 5:23 PM
in reply to: Roger23

User image

Veteran
Huntington Beach
GPS works everywhere it can obtain satellites. Doesn't mean it won't lose signal and show you are 2 miles further back than you really are and get you to freak out and dip you into a mental low. I hate GPS for ultra. Take a watch and look at what mile you are at each aid station and do the math in your head.

Yes, majority of people have CamelBak. A lot of faster guys do not have them. I assume a 50 miler in DC will be a mellow 50 so your time between AS shouldn't be too long. I am sure you can get by with a handheld. I just like to carry exactly what I want because a ruined stomach is the #1 way to DNF an ultra. A strong stomach is much more important than the extra 2-3 pounds on your back during the race.

The 30 mile mark a barrier for ultras? Depends on the course. It would be much more dependent on elapsed time and cumulative elevation gain and altitude over cumulative mileage. But yes, after 32 miles I would assume your legs might be feeling trashed. "The first 50 miles are run with your legs and the last 50 with your mind." So eventually your legs are going to be just two big lumps of pain.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 50 Miler training-North Face DC Rss Feed