General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Practicing OWS in Phoenix AZ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-13 6:28 AM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Practicing OWS in Phoenix AZ
I'm new triathlon and made it off the couch to finish a sprint race this April (400m pool swim). I'm spending the summer working on my swim and will racing in the Timex triathlon at the end of September (750m OWS in Tempe Town Lake). Does anyone know of any groups that get together and practice OWS in or around Phoenix? I really didn't want the race to be my first ever OWS but I'm not keen on the idea of swimming alone in any of the surrounding lakes.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks !!

2006-07-13 9:15 AM
in reply to: #481221

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Practicing OWS in Phoenix AZ
If you can grab the July edition of Sweat magazine (which is free and you can find around gyms, cofee shops etc in the Phx area), it is a Tri edition with lots of info on various clubs and group training. I also know that the Arizona tri club practice at some lakes www.AzTriClub.com. I am more about the pool swimming than the OWS, but good luck to you!
2006-07-13 2:41 PM

Chandler, AZ
I was worried about swimming in Tempe town lake too just because it looks pretty gross. However, there are a series of "Splash and Dash" races put on by DCB Sports where you can get some practice in the lake. I think there is only one race before the Timex Tri but it's 1000m swim and that should get you really used to the water!

http://www.splashanddashaz.com/

I think anyone (but I never have) can swim anytime in Cayon or Saguaro Lake.

2006-07-13 2:53 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

The Phoenix Tri Club does OWS workouts (don't know if it's limited to members only):  http://www.phoenixtriathlonclub.org/index.jsp

If you have a friend with a boat or kayak, you can always go to an AZ lake (Canyon, Bartlett, Pleasant, Saguaro, Apache, etc) and practice and have them follow close to you.  I don't recommend swimming in an AZ lake alone, as boaters & jetskiers probably won't see your bobbing head.

2006-07-13 8:15 PM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks everyone !! It sounds like I have plenty of options. I'll check out the clubs but will also recruit my teenager to rent a kayak and follow along. It looks like you can rent them by the hour at Saguaro and Canyon lakes.

Thanks again
2006-07-13 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

You can also try firstwavetri.com for club events (anyone is welcome to join in).  We do some OWS on occasion, just another place you can look for group swims...good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Practicing OWS in Phoenix AZ Rss Feed