BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-05-22 6:35 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP
KTC - does you husband read your posts in here? lol

Originally posted by krazytallchick

Lori - so sorry to hear about your injuries. Hope you recover quickly.

Jen - Wow, company that does the barricades files bankruptcy. That had to hurt area races. Interesting race though, 1 mile swim and a 10k. That really isn't a aquathon then is it?

New Site - I am still learning my way around so I have no opinion just yet.

Tim - one year my husband would get a flat just about every time he rode. We checked the tire each time and never could figure it out what was causing it as the tire itself was fine. We figured that it must have been his weight that was causing it.

2013-05-22 6:36 PM
in reply to: SouthFLJoe

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Joe - welcome we will be with you every step of the way.
KC

Originally posted by SouthFLJoe

Was wondering if I can join your group? I'm new and have never done a triathlon. I am planning for an Olympic in August and maybe a sprint before then. I just purchased my first road bike and have been swimming for about a month. I just started keeping training logs on here. My main area of focus will be swimming bc that's my weakest. Thanks for your consideration!
2013-05-22 6:39 PM
in reply to: retiretotri

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Lori - sorry to hear you are still on the injured reserve - hang tough and get better.

Originally posted by retiretotri

Count me in for another round! Gimping along with my training and hoping to heal quickly! The posterior horn of my meniscus is torn, sprained MCL, and tendinitis in the tendon on the medial side of my left knee. Other than that I'm fine.

New site? Hmmm, taking me awhile to get it figured out. I think they should have put a table out there with "the old way" and "the new way" to do things. The graphics are awfully nice and the site has a fresh look to it.
2013-05-22 6:39 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
I think the new site it great so far. Going to take some getting used to though.

Stay safe everyone.

KC
2013-05-22 6:58 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

New user

Originally posted by tmoran80

Joe - welcome to the group. Sounds like you ar eonthe right track and I think you will learn a whole bunch with this group. When you get a chance reply with you background a little bit about you so we can get to know you.

I've played sports off and on when I was younger, but nothing too serious. I have done numerous 5k runs with my best run being about 28 minutes. I've also done several "mud runs" such as Superhero scramble, Spartan Race, and several others. I'm not married, and have no kids so that leaves me plenty of time to train when I'm not at work.

I live in South FL (if you couldnt tell from my name) so it rains here just about every afternoon during the summer so I've been doing most of my runs, bike, and swims at the gym.

I purchased a Focus Cayo carbon road bike last week and have only gotten to ride it once so far, but it is fast and will definitely not be the limiting factor for me! Thanks for the welcome and the help so far! I'll continue to update my training logs unless I forget.
2013-05-22 8:19 PM

User image

Chicago
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP - OPEN
Hey Tim,

I have checked those races out but I will be doing some traveling early June through June 23rd and those races fall within the time I will be away. I did register for a Olympic Tri on July 14th in Lake Zurich IL. It will be my first full tri. I would of liked to of done a smaller tri just to get in the the swing of things but I guess it will have to be sink or swim. Hahaha.

I plan on training while I'm traveling. I'll be by the ocean and some lakes so I plan on doing some open water swiming and I'll get as much running in as possible. The bike part will be difficult to do but I'll have to live with what I get.

Thanks for all your help.

Gil- thanks - yes it was a good race - logistically kind of a mess bu the weather was great and the course and Galena area are really beautiful. Have you checked out Pleasant Prairie Triathlon, Big Foot Lake Geneva or Rockford triathlon? Those might be good ones to check since you missed Galena.

Originally posted by gdelamora

Hey Tim,

Thanks for keeping this group going. I would like to be a part of it again.

Sounds like you had a good race last weekend. I missed out but I will tri for it again next year.

2013-05-22 8:30 PM

User image

Chicago
Tim - I was in the same situation this past winter when I had signed up for a half marathon in March and had my Achilles tendons act up on me so I could do much running. What help me was heart rate. I stayed within my lactate threshold and tried not to go over much until the last few miles. All I did was watch my HR and managed it so that I wouldn't fatigue throughout the race. It worked well for me and I had one of the most enjoyable races that I could remember. I ended up getting a 1:55 and now I can qualify for a corral spot which reminds me that I have to send in my time.

Well I really want to get into a Chicago Marathon start corral this October but I have to qualify by August 26 at a Half Marathon. I have looked at my calendar and the only one that fits my ridiculously busy schedule is June 2. So... I registered today and now have about 10 days to train for a 1/2 marathon and run a sub 1:55. I need to run a 8:50 pace to get into the "D" corral. My current PR at the 13.1 is 1:48 back in 2010 when i was training for Branson 70.3. I think my running is ok but I am worried about leg fatigue since my longest run has been about 5 miles in the past 6 months. Any tips or advice haha...
2013-05-22 8:38 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP - OPEN
KC good new on the house being sold. I am sure that relieves a lot of stress.

I went out for a tough run today to see how I would feel. I have a hill route i run by work that has about 6 good hills over about 6 miles. I pushed it somewhat hard for me and averaged 8:35/mile. Legs were somewhat tired but I did the last mile at 8:15 pace. I think since this 1/2 marathon course is mostly flat I should be ok at 8:50/mile pace. If I can get to Mile 10 with something left in the tank I should be good. I will try and get couple 800 repeat speed workouts in the next week to get the legs used to turning over. Kind of weird how I am back in running mode today after so long of putting it on the back burner with long course tri. I actually went to the Runners World website for the first time in years haha.
2013-05-22 8:51 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Expert
I have thought about using the HR but my zones are all out of whack with my IMWI training since the Fink plan uses a little bit different formula. I am just not crazy about doing some testing this week before the race and not being able to really test it out on some long runs. I am just gonna suck it up and use the Garmin to give me my pace and stick with the 8:50 pace I need. If I feel good after 6 or 7 I will pick it up. If I don't... then hello open corral in October haha

Congrats on getting in and get that in ASAP so you don't forget like Galena!!!

Originally posted by gdelamora

Tim - I was in the same situation this past winter when I had signed up for a half marathon in March and had my Achilles tendons act up on me so I could do much running. What help me was heart rate. I stayed within my lactate threshold and tried not to go over much until the last few miles. All I did was watch my HR and managed it so that I wouldn't fatigue throughout the race. It worked well for me and I had one of the most enjoyable races that I could remember. I ended up getting a 1:55 and now I can qualify for a corral spot which reminds me that I have to send in my time.

2013-05-22 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4745108

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- OPEN
Want us all to don bear suits and ride behind you roaring till you PR? Haha
2013-05-23 9:03 AM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team.

Have a great day.

KC

2013-05-23 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
I will continue with TEAM RFP. You guys are great, thanks Tim for continuing.
:tup:
2013-05-23 10:19 AM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Expert
Yes that would help but only if you dress like this guy - http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/10/08/sports/08bear/08bear...

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

Want us all to don bear suits and ride behind you roaring till you PR? Haha
2013-05-23 10:26 AM
in reply to: t-royboy

User image

Expert
Troy - how is your Racine training going? So are we all gonna try and meet up that weekend? With Josi's work schedule we usually don't head up until about 1pm and get into Racine around 3pm. How about maybe all meeting up for some dinner or maybe a beer after the race? We have not decided if we are bringing the kids up or not so not sure about meeting at a bar but maybe you or Jen could recommend a good micro brew that we can sneak onto the beach in some solo cups and cool of in the lake haha.

Just let me know

Originally posted by t-royboy

I will continue with TEAM RFP. You guys are great, thanks Tim for continuing.
:tup:
2013-05-23 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Ok so this is what I have so far as members for this session ( I have not heard from Kristen but will hold a spot for her):

- tmoran80 -Tim
- kcgolf - Kevin (KC)
- IceManScott - Scott
- cheekymonkeys1 - Deb
- krazytallchick - Kathy
- WillTriForBeer - Jen
- kruzmeister - Simone
- gdelamora - Gil
- t-royboy - Troy
- phishinphan - Pierce
- retiretotri - Lori
-SouthFLJoe- Joe

That puts us at 12 right now so I think I will take 4 or 5 more and then close it up. Sound good? Am I missing anyone?
2013-05-23 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
Hey, I was just in Louisville and I got introduced to "Sergio's". It is a little hole in the wall place with over 1,000 beers. I got to try the worlds #1 beer - Trappist Westvleteren 12. Well worth it. WillTriForBeer would have loved it!

2013-05-24 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Originally posted by tmoran80

Ok so this is what I have so far as members for this session ( I have not heard from Kristen but will hold a spot for her):

- tmoran80 -Tim
- kcgolf - Kevin (KC)
- IceManScott - Scott
- cheekymonkeys1 - Deb
- krazytallchick - Kathy
- WillTriForBeer - Jen
- kruzmeister - Simone
- gdelamora - Gil
- t-royboy - Troy
- phishinphan - Pierce
- retiretotri - Lori
-SouthFLJoe- Joe

That puts us at 12 right now so I think I will take 4 or 5 more and then close it up. Sound good? Am I missing anyone?

Thanks for saving me a spot, but I'm afraid I'm going to take a pass this next go around. I just reconnected with another mentor group that I had participated in previously. It has been great getting to know you all over the past couple of months. Happy training, everyone! And continue to RFP...
2013-05-24 12:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Team!

Been away for a few days. Hope everyone has a great Memorial Weekend! I am looking forward to the Indianapolis 500 and resting.

KTC

Edited by krazytallchick 2013-05-24 12:22 PM
2013-05-24 1:08 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team.

Troyboy - welcome back.
Kristen - all the best.

Ok Team - just signed up for my first Tri of the Season - Sunday June 2 Belle River Sprint Tri. Should be fun.

KC
2013-05-24 9:02 PM

Hello...my name is Brandy. I did my first tri in 2006. I got heavy into racing ''09-''11 the end of '12 I pretty much wasn't racing or training. I've been back in training mode for the last 3-4 weeks. I just upgraded to a Bronze membership here and am trying to get as involved as I can to get back up to at least an Olympic distance race .. Thinking Sept for that. I have completed a few 70.3 but that's a bit much to shoot for at my current fitness level. I would like to join this group.
2013-05-24 10:24 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
G'day Team,

thanks to Tim's advice and Don Fink's training plan, I finally have my 70.3 and IM training schedules worked out. I start on the 17th of June and it cannot come quick enough as I really need the structure at the moment. I've been struggling a bit with some personal issues since I got back from Port Macquarie and have lost some momentum and a bit of my mojo, but I've written out a little three week program to get me back into the swing of things and ready for my IM training plan to start. My next race is the half marathon in 8 weeks, but I am going to treat it more like a long training run/walk and 'anxiety' practice for the bigger events.

Sounds like everyone else is busy with races coming up. Sounds like some of you are still in the throws of cr@ppy weather too, which I hope changes soon. It's been cold by our standards down here (balmy winter's day by yours!), but I am going to start forcing myself out the door earlier over the next couple of weeks to try and reset my bodyclock.

Anyway welcome back to everyone and welcome to the new folks. Have a great weekend all!

2013-05-25 7:26 AM
in reply to: bmaldonado

User image

Expert
Hi Brandy - welcome to the group! With your experience it will come back quick and you will be more then ready by Septemeber. We will do our best to help you get there!!

Originally posted by bmaldonado

Hello...my name is Brandy. I did my first tri in 2006. I got heavy into racing ''09-''11 the end of '12 I pretty much wasn't racing or training. I've been back in training mode for the last 3-4 weeks. I just upgraded to a Bronze membership here and am trying to get as involved as I can to get back up to at least an Olympic distance race .. Thinking Sept for that. I have completed a few 70.3 but that's a bit much to shoot for at my current fitness level. I would like to join this group.
2013-05-25 7:29 AM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

Expert
Sorry ti hear that Kristen - Best of luck with your training and racing this summer. Stay in touch.

Originally posted by kpringle
Thanks for saving me a spot, but I'm afraid I'm going to take a pass this next go around. I just reconnected with another mentor group that I had participated in previously. It has been great getting to know you all over the past couple of months. Happy training, everyone! And continue to RFP...
2013-05-25 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
I was able to do a 9.5 mile run at 8:44/mile pace this morning. While it was a hard run it was definitely not race effort and still had something left in the tank so I am feeling a little more comfortable about my 1/2 marathon next weekend. The only thing I have left to worry about is finding a place that rents full bear costumes.
2013-05-25 9:43 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Expert
One thing you can try Simone is to just follow the first week of the Fink program for 2-3 weeks to help get in the swing of things and used to the program. This will also help with the swim since it starts off fairly large with 2500Y swim sessions.

Originally posted by kruzmeister
I've been struggling a bit with some personal issues since I got back from Port Macquarie and have lost some momentum and a bit of my mojo, but I've written out a little three week program to get me back into the swing of things and ready for my IM training plan to start.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28