Dam to Dam
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 51s
Overall Rank = 732/7087
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 92/422
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30,. had steel oats oatmeal w/apples, coconut milk, and banana. It's a decent bus ride from downtown (race finish) to the dam (race start) so on the ride I had some Stinger Energy chews. Once we got dropped off I waited until about 20 minutes to the start and downed a Gatorade pre-race fuel. I was drinking a fair amount of water on the bus ride too. A bit too much, as it would turn out.
Event warmup:

Didn't have any time to warm-up, per se. Waited in line for 30 minutes to use a port-a-potty, got in about 4 minutes before the race start. There was no way I was going to get up to the 8-9 min pace group, so I casually jogged up to the back of the group (It was probably long enough to officially be a half-marathon if included with the recorded distance). I was a good 8 minutes back from the timing mat when the gun went off, so I kept lightly jogging and fast-walking my way up until I got to the mat.
Run
  • 1h 39m 51s
  • 20 kms
  • 04m 59s  min/km
Comments:

I smartly started out slowly, but slower than I probably should have. I have my first Half-Ironman in 8 days, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to attack the course or go casual. I figured I'd start out casual, and see how I feel. When I saw I was at 8:44 after Mile 1, I knew I had enough to go faster. Only problem was around Mile 2 my bladder was telling me I drank too much beforehand. *sigh* I knew there was no way I'd finish with the degree of urgency, so when I saw a bunch of guys in the same predicament off to the side of the road just before Mile 3, I did the same. Cost me at least 30 seconds, but it was better than waiting for one of the port-a-pottys along the way (the lines were all at least 5 deep).
When we hit the first hill around Mile 5, I decided to stride up it and keep the stride going for a bit after to see how I felt. No problem. Nice! I did the same at every hill and felt great. My splits kept dropping, and I was impressing myself that I was consistently hitting sub-8's. Imagine my surprise when I started closing in on sub-7! I never got it, though - came close with the last mile at 7:06. Only downside that I could tell was my quads felt a bit tight. But I felt strong the entire course - no fatigue, no real soreness or aches.
What would you do differently?:

Not over-hydrate beforehand, especially with such mild temperatures. Get to the race early enough to start with the right pace group. Go out just a little bit faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Took in some Powerade, bananas, chocolate milk. Didn't feel the need for any massages. Didn't stretch right away, but did later. Took advantage of the free beers after the 'good' food had settled and I found my friend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I'm starting a taper week for the HIM in 8 days was constantly in the back of my mind. If it wasn't so close, I would have gone out a bit harder. Knowing I'm capable of the times I logged was actually a huge confidence booster, not just for the HIM but other events also.

Event comments:

Glad I had a friend to mill around with afterwards. Apparently runners can have as much Coors Light as they wish after they finish! And other goodies too, of course. I just wish they had a few more port-a-potties at the start. It was a madhouse once there was less than 10 minutes until the start. They're probably limited on space, though. Great support along the route, great volunteers, great finish area. This'll definitely be an annual event for me.

Last updated: 2013-06-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:51 | 20 kms | 04m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 92/422
Overall: 732/7087
Performance: Good
No need for every lap split, but here's a sampling: L1: 8:44, L4: 7:55, L8: 7:59, L12: 7:06 HR went up accordingly, started out in 130-140 range, went up to 150s mid-race, stayed around 160-170 for the final push, maxed out at exactly 180.
Course: Relatively flat, closed course almost entirely on surface streets. Long gradual downhill right after mile 1, then pretty flat until about mile 5. There were 3 appreciable hills, nothing too challenging. Great finish downtown.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-03 8:46 PM

User image

New user

Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: Dam to Dam 20k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dam to Dam 20k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dam to Dam 20k

Started by disturbed275
Views: 1489 Posts: 1

2013-06-02 7:55 PM disturbed275

Dam to Dam 20k

Started by disturbed275
Views: 1694 Posts: 4

2012-06-06 9:02 AM QueenZipp

Dam to Dam 20k

Started by Swee
Views: 762 Posts: 1

2012-06-02 9:44 PM Swee

Dam to Dam

Started by disturbed275
Views: 1980 Posts: 1

2008-06-01 9:07 AM disturbed275

Dam to Dam 5K

Started by jhinrichs11
Views: 1466 Posts: 1

2008-05-31 2:15 PM jhinrichs11
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 0
We did really well with the beers, which will explain my reluctance to get out of bed on Saturday morning.