General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri Trinona - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Tri Trinona - International Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winona, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Tri
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 50m 58s
Overall Rank = 21/61
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

We spent the night in WInona at the Riverport Inn. I didn't sleep well the night before - I was worried about the weather, we were supposed to get heavy rain. We got up at 5:00, made my protein, kale and chia smoothie. Got dressed and headed over to the race start. The hotel is about 1 1/2 miles away so we biked over with our packs on our backs.

Note - overall is female only
Event warmup:

I set up my transition area and talked to various rack mates. Walked around, shivered and tried to stay dry. About 15 minutes before my wave, I swam maybe a 100 yards.
Swim
  • 35m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very nervous going in, this would be my longest open water swim this year and the first time at this distance in a race. My wave was the last of the day and it was a very small wave. I started in the back on the left. I found myself in clear water really quickly but it took a bit to get into my rhythm. The long side of the had a long patch of tall weeds. They were all up in my face. I couldn't do a full arm stroke. I also hit a patch of floating weeds on the way to the finish. I had to stop and remove the weeds from my face a few times. It was hard to pick out exactly where the swim finish was.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get better at the swim. I'm slow and that hurts me. I had times of good siting and other times did pretty poorly.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I had some problem getting out of my wet suit, I was trying to push it off my foot and kept getting caught on my chip.

Be a little more aggressive getting the wetsuit off.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 19s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Hardest ride course I've ever seen, but really fun too. It felt really good to pass people. I've always been the one being passed, this ride I just kept passing others. I got passed once on the whole course and that was on the decent. The roads were mostly wet so had to be a bit careful. I was careful on the big decent even though it was mostly dry.

I need to get more comfortable handling my bike. Cornering and going down hills need work.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Banged my leg on the pedal going over one of the little ramps. Luckily it didn't hurt my run. Shoe change went well.

Went pretty well.
Run
  • 46m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

From the time I hit the shoes this run felt really good. I ran strong and kept passing people. I only had instant pace on my watch so I ran by feel. This felt smooth and amazing! I walked two water stations and got some Nuun.

Absolutely nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

I did a little walking and tried to stay dry and warm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim - my weakest sport

Event comments:

There were a lot of good points about this race but some not good things. The starting line up was bad - Oly elites, sprints and then Olys with the 40+ Oly females last. The elite's had to make a left around the same buoy the first waves of the sprinters were making a right around it. Awards were going on while I was in T2. Giveaways were a separate sign up while I was on the course. There was no hot food left when I got to the food line. Food was sold to spectators when there wasn't enough for the racers.

Also have to note the misspelling on the finisher's medal - Battle for the Buff

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:18 | 1640 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 39/61
Performance:
Suit: full suit
Course: Large triangle with a strange left turn just before the finish.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:19 | 24.85 miles | 17.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 16/61
Performance: Average
Gamin issues - no splits, no numbers at all. Garmin thought I was in Africa.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: After completing the out and back on a small country road for the sprint course the course turns and goes up Garvin Heights. That was a huge hard climb. The whole course was up and down hills.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:30 | 06.21 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 5/61
Performance: Good
Garmin still thought I was in Africa.
Course: Flat, flat and more flat!! I have never run a flatter course. Out and back around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-09 9:08 PM

User image

Regular
Bloomington
Subject: Life Time Tri Trinona - International Course

2013-06-09 11:07 PM
in reply to: #4771503

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Life Time Tri Trinona - International Course
Really nice run.
Congrats on the award.
2013-06-10 8:27 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Congrats on the podium finish!
2013-06-10 10:12 PM

User image

New user
The no hot food for Oly's really annoyed me. Why sell food to non-competitors, and then run out of hot food for competitors? This is one aspect that hopefully LF will address next year.

Weeds weren't that bad on the Sprint swim - Had a few in my face coming into the last bit, just like you. At least the water was warmer than Blaine!

Would have liked to have the awards start after all the Oly's were finished. Didn't know about the signup for drawing, either.

Congrats on your finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri Trinona - International Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Life Time Tri Trinona - International Course

Started by tmvolk00
Views: 1057 Posts: 1

2013-06-09 7:22 PM tmvolk00

Life Time Tri Trinona - International Course

Started by tmvolk00
Views: 838 Posts: 1

2013-05-28 5:05 PM tmvolk00

Life Time Minneapolis Triathlon - International Course

Started by kimarch
Views: 925 Posts: 1

2011-11-19 6:07 PM kimarch

Life Time Minneapolis Triathlon - International Course

Started by theresaj
Views: 1331 Posts: 1

2011-07-14 6:17 PM theresaj

LIFE TIME MINNEAPOLIS TRIATHLON - International Course

Started by rdailey1
Views: 1556 Posts: 2

2011-07-09 4:31 PM BikerGrrrl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.