General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What gels/drinks do you like? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-17 9:28 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: What gels/drinks do you like?
So with the boss out of town doing support for GOBA this week, I've decided to overhaul the nutrition offerings at the shop. With oodles of products out on the market, I'm not sure what to order. I'm hoping BT Ohio can help me out!

Does anyone have any gels, bars, drink mixes that you like to use while working out? Do you think that GF and vegan are important to the market? How hard is it to find GF products?

Thanks in advance!

2013-06-18 7:09 AM
in reply to: Aysel

User image

Subject: RE: What gels/drinks do you like?
I believe I usually get the Cliff energy shots. They are made with brown rice syrup and natural ingredients. I think that vegan and or GF would be nice to have as thats something that seems to be hard to find around here.
2013-06-18 9:38 AM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Cleveland OH
Only problem I see with GF and Vegan products are the shelf life. I can't imagine your boss will be too happy if you order cases of GF or vegan energy mixes, gels and bars, then don't sell them.
I have only started to dabble in the Gels and energy mixes. I used a few Gu's and still trying to use up my gatorade mixes I had from last year. I will be on the market later though for some healthier alternatives. I can't stand to drink gatorade anymore.

I hear a lot of people talk about Infinite on podcasts, Ben Greenfield, IMtalk and think I heard it on Macca's too.

http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

Good Luck
2013-06-18 10:06 AM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Cleveland OH
Just did a little research, between some of the cannister mixes,

Infinite looks really good actually, has everything I was looking for in a mix.
The Hammer Nutrittion race day booster only has 24 calories, 0 protein

Gu Electrolyte Brew only has 35 calories and no protein

Cliff shot Electrolyte looked ok.

take a look at the Infinite you will be impressed, and it looks like you can manipulate the mixes to form your own version of it depending what you want.

2013-06-18 10:21 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

GF/vegan aren't important to me, but I just like to eat.

For the last few months, I've been using Hammer Perpetuem, Shot Blocks, and Gu's.

I really like the Perpetuem, but I wish I hadn't bought the orange-vanilla death flavor - and a large container of it at that.

I've really started to like the Shot Blocks - they're tasty and super easy on the stomach.  I love that half a package is 100 calories, too.  I munched a whole package right before the start of a HM this past Sunday and I feel that carried me rather well into the first few miles.  I also like that I don't feel like I have a mini-crash like I do at times with gels... sometimes, if I don't take them with enough water, it seems like taking a gel will actually wipe me out.

2013-06-18 10:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have Celiac disease so GF is imperative.

I drink Skratch Labs sports drink. It's the "cleanest" sports drink I've ever found. I've tried other ones that are sold as GF and they must be cross-contaminated because I've gotten very ill drinking them.

For bars I do Bonk Breaker or Picky.

For gels I do Gu.

**thought I'd add that it's very hard to find these things in stores. I order in bulk on Amazon. I can get Gu around here but that's about it.

Edited by jarvy01 2013-06-18 10:45 AM

2013-06-19 8:51 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Delaware, OH
Thanks for the great suggestions!

Currently at the store we carry: Honey Stinger waffles in regular and vanilla, Honey stinger gel in plain, 2 types of stinger chews, Cliff shots (4 flavors), hammer shots (4 flavors, plus the big flask refill bottles), Orange Vanilla Perpetuum, and a cherry Stinger bar. I just had to DX several flavors of Nunn and Perpetuum tablets.

We don't carry a huge supply of nutrition because we are such a small shop and traditionally don't move food very fast! I don't know if that's because our business is slower, or we aren't carrying the right stuff!

Good call on the GF shelf life- I've got some phone calls to make to the manufactures on those items.

I don't think I can get Infinit from my suppliers, but I know I can get both Skratch Lab's secrete drink mix and everyday drink mix. I've heard a lot about it from Velo News and I'm pretty curious myself. I can get it in single serving packets, so it's on the short list. .

As far as flavors go, what's best? An assortment of fruit, chocolate and vanilla? I can't carry full lines of everything due to the cost so I'm trying to pick and choose top selling flavors. I also can't stock large canisters of anything due to cost, but I can order upon request. My goal is to see what sells, and then go into depth in that product.

Thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming!

2013-06-19 1:50 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I haven't tried it, yet, but I've been told that the chocolate-mocha (I think?) flavor of Perpetuem is by far the best (and quite good!).

The orange-vanilla sounds good on paper, but then you try it warm and it just really isn't.  I can tolerate it, but I wouldn't say that I like it.

2013-06-28 8:07 AM

I eat a Paleo diet, so I don't use anything that's on the market because it's mostly chemical based, in my opinion. I use Go-Go Squeeze Applesauce packets as a gel substitute and a mixture of salt, coconut water and pineapple juice as a drink. I probably eat a bigger breakfast than most also - I just make sure to get up and eat early enough to have plenty of digestion time. Mind you, I haven't done any tri's over 2 hours, so I'm not sure how effective my approach would be for longer races...although this approach + extra water did work well for me last weekend on a 3.5 hour mountain bike ride in 90 degree heat.
2013-06-28 8:09 AM
in reply to: fitnesskelly

PS. If you want to make your own or need to be GF and vegan - there are resources online and in books on making your own gel. The book Sweet Potato Power has some recipes for sweet potato based gels and sports drinks. Baby food packets make a nice replacement as well.
2013-07-02 12:26 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Delaware, OH
Originally posted by cgregg

I haven't tried it, yet, but I've been told that the chocolate-mocha (I think?) flavor of Perpetuem is by far the best (and quite good!).

The orange-vanilla sounds good on paper, but then you try it warm and it just really isn't.  I can tolerate it, but I wouldn't say that I like it.

I have two tubes of chocolate-mocha Perpetuem at the shop that's in the break room- ie past its exp date. You are welcome to try it if you are up my way.

2013-07-02 3:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Originally posted by jarvy01

I drink Skratch Labs sports drink. It's the "cleanest" sports drink I've ever found. I've tried other ones that are sold as GF and they must be cross-contaminated because I've gotten very ill drinking them.

For gels I do Gu.

**thought I'd add that it's very hard to find these things in stores. I order in bulk on Amazon. I can get Gu around here but that's about it.

I'm glad you mentioned this ~ thank you! I had never heard of Skratch Labs before this post. I was interested, did a little research, bought some and so far so good. I like that it tastes lighter and doesn't have that sticky factor, either. I will definitely be using more of this product.

Thanks again!!

Edited by marathongirl11 2013-07-02 3:17 PM
2013-07-08 3:51 AM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by marathongirl11

Originally posted by jarvy01

For gels I do Gu.

I'm glad you mentioned this ~ thank you! I had never heard of Skratch Labs before this post. I was interested, did a little research, bought some and so far so good. I like that it tastes lighter and doesn't have that sticky factor, either. I will definitely be using more of this product.

Thanks again!!

You're welcome! Glad to hear you like it. I love that it tastes lighter and doesn't have the sticky factor. It doesn't give me any GI distress at all. My only beef with it is that it's sold in smallish bags. Since I'm IM training at the moment I'm using more of it than I normally would use. Their products have really taken off and I'm surprised they haven't started selling a larger container.
2013-07-28 4:19 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Delaware, OH
sorry I haven't been around much, this semester has been killing me! I have made the switch to Skratch Labs- light on the stomach and tasty!

I now carry all 4 favors of Skratch Labs in individual serving sizes so you can try before you buy. Pineapple, lemon/lime, orange, and raspberries. Can also order the 40 serving size bags for $19, no shipping charge.
2013-07-30 12:48 AM

User image

Regular
Columbus
A somewhat related question - has anyone tried the Salted Caramel flavored Gu? Just saw it for the first time at the Giant Eagle race expo. I didn't buy any but am thinking about trying it. I do love caramel, but don't really want it if it's sickeningly sweet...any thoughts?

Jamie
2013-07-30 10:52 AM
in reply to: NDIrishO3

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I saw that, too, but was kinda afraid to try it.

Lisac957 mentioned using them in her Vineman race report.

"I also started to eat a Salty Caramel GU and my gag/vomit reflex was activated. Somehow I nursed most of it down but it was not enjoyable. "

I have no idea whether is was bad because that is how it is, or due to where she was in the race.

As a side note:  I tried Louis Garneau gels over the weekend, and they have a Berry Pomegranate one that is really quite good!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What gels/drinks do you like? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone doing Maumee ? Pages: 1 2

Started by abrezo
Views: 2680 Posts: 35

2010-06-20 9:59 PM danbob

Anyone done a 24 hour MTB race?

Started by k-read23
Views: 926 Posts: 4

2010-01-06 12:27 AM DLaw

hows everyone doing?

Started by newbz
Views: 1488 Posts: 13

2010-01-04 10:06 AM DieuEtMonDroit

columbus turkey trots, which are you doing?

Started by newbz
Views: 1217 Posts: 3

2009-11-17 11:30 PM k_watzek

Thinking of doing the 2007 Nationals Duathlon, Mason

Started by EABonney
Views: 983 Posts: 3

2007-07-23 2:48 PM EABonney
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.

date : May 19, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Alcohol and athletics is a dangerous duo. Serious recreational runners drink more than their sedentary counterparts. This article lists several of the negative consequences of alcohol.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mrakes1
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.