General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Lewis Triple Threat Triathlon Series - Race #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fort Lewis Triple Threat Triathlon Series - Race #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
North Fort Lewis, Washington
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 53s
Overall Rank = 99/138
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Event warmup:

Nothing much, just lots of stretching. I walked around and watched other contestants and their pre-race routines and setup.
Swim
  • 18m 2s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

The race start was separated into two heats (1 minute apart) based on swim ability. Racers started in the water and swam towards a floating buoy. After a right turn at the first buoy and another right turn at a second buoy, racers finished on the beach. A short sprint up the hill across a parking lot put you into the transition area.

Overall I was pleased with my swim time since even though I started in the second wave, I was 54/138. I caught up to and passed several swimmers from the first wave.
What would you do differently?:

I need to continue to work on my endurance since I did most of the race breaststroke. When it got crowded, I would use freestyle to free myself from the congestion and sprint ahead. However, I wasn't able to sustain that pace and went back to using the breaststroke.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Not sure what my T1 time was since I didn't have my watch and the race committee didn't time this portion separately. If anything, it was lumped into my bike time since upon exiting the water we gave a race official a velcro strap with our race number.

I learned from my first race to use a bucket with water, but found trying to balance myself after having cleaned my foot difficult.

Practice, practice, practice!
Bike
  • 59m 39s
  • 15 miles
  • 15.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Using a mountain bike just plain sucks. Even though I had road tires and aerobars put on, the bike is simply not designed for speed. I had some brake issues in that my front pads were rubbing on the tire rim. The rubbing was making noise the entire ride, and around the 9 mile point I saw my left front brake shoe fly off the bike into obscurity.

Same as my first race - get a road/race bike!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 and T2 were in the same area.

The final portion of the bike was downhill, so it was a bit of a challenge to slow down, get off the bike and then run up a short hill into the transition area. I required no equipment change since I used the same shoes for biking and running.

I had a power gel pack and some water to wash it down before I headed out of T2 for the run.

Next time I'll try eating the power gel pack prior to finishing the bike portion to cut down on time in T2.
Run
  • 25m 13s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I hate running up hills. Consequently I was almost a full minute slower than my first triathlon run pace.

Run harder, run faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Upon finishing the race I drank water and had some bananas. None of the other provided snacks interested me, so I ate my Snickers marathon bar.

I didn't do any cool-down stretches, but walked around and kept moving for several minutes after finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I improved my overall time by swimming and biking faster. However, using a mountain bike severely slowed me down. Plus, coming out of the water 54/138 and ending up 109/138 after the bike stinks and is a demoralizer.

Last updated: 2006-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:02 | 805 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 54/138
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless shortie
Course: Flat calm lake with a triangular course swim.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:59:39 | 15 miles | 15.09 mile/hr
Overall: 109/138
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: A relatively flat course with a slight uphill at the beginning. Basically, 7.5 miles out and back on an open road with several 90 degree turns. Turnaround point was a traffic circle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:13 | 03 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 97/138
Performance: Below average
Course: Short initial uphill (1/4 mile) into a residential neighborhood. The turnaround point was a downhill/uphill area and back along the same course to the finish point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 9:33 PM

User image

Subject: Fort Lewis Triple Threat Triathlon Series - Race #2
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Lewis Triple Threat Triathlon Series - Race #2 Rss Feed