General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie swim question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-18 9:48 PM

New user

Subject: Newbie swim question
I have just decided to attempt my first sprint triathlon a. I come from a cycling approximately 100 miles per week. I am 40 years old, 6'1" 217 lbs (about 30 lbs overweight, but down from 240 lbs earlier this year). I am having a very difficult time with establishing a rythmic swim. My breathing is causing me the most problems.
I can't quite get the proper stroke techniques to ensure adequate oxygen intake to sustain a swim of any length. Each time I need to take breath I loose my technique. I was able to complete 200 yds in 5:35 this evening. This was my third time in the pool and I have gotten much more comfortable after trying to be more efficient but the lack of oxygen and proper breathing technique is hindering my progress.
My question is should I seek a professional to help me with proper technique or is there a book that I can read to help me? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

2006-07-18 10:13 PM
in reply to: #486585

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: RE: Newbie swim question
There are books and videos that you can get to help you. Total Immersion is one of the more popular swimming style/methodology of swimming. They offer books, videos and training sessions. Check our their web site here - http://www.totalimmersion.net

You may even find their books and video at your local library so it's worth a check.

Swimming is completely technical so it's very important to make sure that you have the right technique. While you can read about it in the books, I find that it's best if you can get someone to provide you with some personal (or group) training.
2006-07-18 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Agree completely with Calus, especially about some direct feedback from a coach, or experienced swimmer.

Another thing that may help. Slow down. Swim a nice, long, comfortable, stroke. If you take it nice and easy, you'll be that much more relaxed. The more relaxed, the less O2 you need, and the further/faster you'll swim.

Swim lots
2006-07-18 10:46 PM

Veteran
Do make sure you are exhaling completely while your face is in the water. It sounds simple, but many people don't, and end up trying to exhale and inhale when their face is out of the water....making it impossible to stay in rhythm and get a full breath.

Good job on making the start!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie swim question Rss Feed