General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower Back pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-04 12:35 PM

Subject: Lower Back pain
How do I get my lower back to not feel like it is going to seize up while riding, it makes for a tough transition into the run... Any specific core exercises that can target that area?

2013-08-04 1:33 PM
in reply to: leeper22

Subject: RE: Lower Back pain
Low back pain is the leading work disability in this country. Not knowing how old you are, I would suggest going in for a workup and see if you have any alignment issues or other. Once this is reviewed, then appropriate exercises can be provided. Good luck.
2013-08-04 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

There are several likely causes.  At the top of the list are bike fit, inadequate core strength to hold position for extended periods of time, and tight hip flexors.  Some more information will help you get better advice.  I'd suggest you share:

• What type of bike are you riding?
  • Have you been professionally fit on your bike?
  • If so, were you fit to optimize aerodynamics or comfort?
  • What is your athletic background?
  • How long have you been riding?
  • Does it hurt at any other time, or only while riding?
  • Does it hurt on every ride, or only after x amount of time?
  • Does it hurt after riding?
  • How old are you?
  • Do you have a job that requires a lot of sitting?
2013-08-04 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Sounds like it might be a bike fit problem.  My suggestion would be to have the fitter at your LBS take a look at your position.  Sometimes you have to trade off aero for comfort.

I have a history of lower back problems going back to my high school football days.  I do some stretching and some core exercises at the gym, but quite frankly the best way to build core strength for the bike is by riding more.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower Back pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Core workouts= lower back pain

Started by PDA
Views: 1306 Posts: 7

2007-02-17 11:01 AM mikericci

Lower back pain after swimming

Started by fb444
Views: 8911 Posts: 5

2006-10-02 7:40 PM fb444

lower back pain while cycling

Started by bucwilson
Views: 909 Posts: 5

2006-04-09 7:17 PM Casie

Lower back pain from running?

Started by tucrew
Views: 1599 Posts: 16

2006-02-09 2:23 AM officersdr

Lower back pain after running?

Started by joscon
Views: 1359 Posts: 21

2004-04-06 9:00 AM Canadian_newfie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : December 14, 2011
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : March 23, 2011
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : January 17, 2011
comments : 2
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?
date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : May 25, 2009
I started playing basketball three times a week in addition to running and biking. Now, whenever I run any distance, the next day, I can hardly sit in my chair at work.
date : April 22, 2009
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
A lot of us don’t spend too much time worrying about stretching and strengthening exercises for our lower back.