General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS group in Gulf (Galveston/Kemah)? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-04 7:27 PM

User image

Rowlett, TX (Dallas area)
Subject: OWS group in Gulf (Galveston/Kemah)?
Does anyone know of a group that has open water swim practices in Galveston Bay (or Kemah could work too)? I'm doing IMFL this November and am a little nervous about the swim being in the ocean. I'm a good swimmer and have never had a problem with lakes, but I know the ocean is a different beast. I live in Dallas so I don't have anywhere to practice in salt water around here, but I could possibly take a weekend to go to Galveston however I don't really know where around there to swim and I'm worried about safety so it would be better if there was a group I could join. Thanks!

2013-08-04 9:26 PM
in reply to: jec03

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: OWS group in Gulf (Galveston/Kemah)?
Originally posted by jec03

Does anyone know of a group that has open water swim practices in Galveston Bay (or Kemah could work too)? I'm doing IMFL this November and am a little nervous about the swim being in the ocean. I'm a good swimmer and have never had a problem with lakes, but I know the ocean is a different beast. I live in Dallas so I don't have anywhere to practice in salt water around here, but I could possibly take a weekend to go to Galveston however I don't really know where around there to swim and I'm worried about safety so it would be better if there was a group I could join. Thanks!

5150 Galveston Olympic tri
2013-08-04 10:26 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Rowlett, TX (Dallas area)
Thanks, but I'm already doing Redman Half that weekend.
2013-08-05 2:22 PM
in reply to: jec03

New user

Houston
I've been asking the same thing and the answer is basically, no. Your best bet is to get a partner/friend to come with you and walk/jog along the shore while you swim the distance you want to go. There are numerous little parks further down from the popular beaches where it's easy to park and just start swimming along the shore. We're taking the kids this weekend and I plan on just marking a .25 mile stretch on the beach and swimming that back and forth for some practice.
2013-08-29 3:37 PM
in reply to: kati_lh

User image

I live in the Clear Lake area and have been asking the same thing. I have been practicing OWS at 288 Lake but have been searching for some place to practice ocean water swimming since the Lone Star Spring will be in the bayou/bay and not a lake. I was told Sylvan Beach would be a good place to practice but that I shouldn't do it barefoot. No one else has been able to give me any other suggestions either.

So... I continue practicing my OWS at 288 Lake and am hoping for the best. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS group in Gulf (Galveston/Kemah)? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Open Water Swimming Group in Galveston Area?

Started by victorduwon
Views: 3281 Posts: 8

2013-03-18 10:15 AM victorduwon

OWS practice for Kemah or Galveston racers

Started by KeriKadi
Views: 1444 Posts: 9

2013-02-26 10:09 PM dfwchris

Lake Travis OWS Groups

Started by GomesBolt
Views: 1652 Posts: 15

2012-09-25 4:06 PM GomesBolt

Galveston Run and OWS training

Started by MrSolis
Views: 633 Posts: 1

2011-08-02 6:56 PM MrSolis

OWS practice groups in Houston Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Seminole_Coastie
Views: 3789 Posts: 80

2009-06-19 10:34 PM fattyfatfat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.