General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Child carriers and race bike's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-31 4:04 AM

User image

Subject: Child carriers and race bike's
Hello,

A question i have a hard time getting an answer to..

I live in the forrest and i have 4km to the nearest asphalt road, our dirt road is very good but still.. I also have 1 boy and anotherone on the way. I have a chariot cx 2, I run with it and I want to ride the bike with it.. I am new to tritathlon so I need to buy a bike. The question then is:

1. Can i pull a chariot with a race bike?
2. would a race bike survive my road conditions?

What should I have in mind when choosing a race bike..?

My goals are not competetive racing, just participating racing so to speak.. 2015 I need to survive a Ironman and I want what ever bike i buy to endure both Ironman, dirt road and child carriers.. Is it even remotly possible?

2013-08-31 7:59 AM
in reply to: Jarngubben

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Child carriers and race bike's
A cyclocross bike would be ideal for your fitness goals road conditions. Use the 32 mm wiide knobby tires for the packed dirt road, and switch to slicks for race day. I would not try to pull the Chariot CX 2 with the bike. Its center of gravity is too high for its track width. There will be roll-overs. There are bike-specific trailers that would safely carry your training partners.
2013-08-31 8:17 AM
in reply to: Jarngubben

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Subject: RE: Child carriers and race bike's
How about this idea. Go to a local used store and pick up a cheap MTB or hybrid to pull the kids on the Chariot. Your not going to go for really long training rides with the kids on tugging along I figure 20km max You have the bike attachment for the chariot right? I have a MEC jogging stroller/ bike carrier and have never had a problem with roll overs. This would leave you free to buy a decent road bike. you could ride on the dirt road to pavement (depends on the condition of the road. I've ridden 2 km on dirt road but some sections were extremely packed down by the application of calcium to keep road dust down. I have a carbon trek with 700x 23c gatorskins tires on it. If the road isn't in the greatest condition just throw the bike in the vehicle and drive to the pavement.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Child carriers and race bike's Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Child Carrier Question

Started by bboston88
Views: 921 Posts: 6

2008-02-03 6:26 PM bboston88

Interior Mounted Bike Rack/Carrier

Started by gonnatrione
Views: 631 Posts: 2

2007-03-08 8:55 AM browncd

Looking for Hitch-mount bike carrier

Started by x_caliber50
Views: 694 Posts: 3

2006-05-09 12:27 PM x_caliber50

bike carrier

Started by westwoodrnr
Views: 711 Posts: 4

2006-01-23 12:42 PM cmbrown

bike carrier

Started by Lucy
Views: 811 Posts: 3

2005-09-17 2:10 PM sbrnaz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2012
author : TheClaaaw
comments : 4
A back of back of packer feels sympathy for the vast middle of the pack who never gets nearly as many cheers.

date : July 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How safe is it for children to participate in triathlons and other endurance events? Here are the opinions of several experts in the field.
date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
As a sports-parent, you can be a good role model for athleticism and healthful food choices. What can you do to regain control without becoming the food police?
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : May 3, 2005
author : infosteward
Can the USAT serve its 50,000+ members largely made up of weekend warriors in search of age-group hardware, while catering to the small percent of elite or pro athletes?
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.