Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Unfortunate Tazer casualty

2013-09-20 4:30 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Unfortunate Tazer casualty
Training device.......no way you can scream when you REALLY get tazed.
2013-09-20 4:33 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain Training device.......no way you can scream when you REALLY get tazed.

I thought the same thing.  Seemed like the juice was turned down a little.

2013-09-20 8:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
Originally posted by Left Brain

Training device.......no way you can scream when you REALLY get tazed.

I don't mean to be a contrarian, but yah, you can scream.
I got taser certified a couple of weeks ago and have the video to watch over and over. Thankfully the noise I made was more like a loud growl, so I didn't sound like a complete wuss, but a few of our people did scream. Afterwards they said they could hear themselves screaming and had no control over it. I had intended to not make any noise at all, but as soon as the probes hit, my body just started making the noise. I was able to stop it after about 3 seconds, but it started completely involuntarily.

The training cartridges have non-conductive filaments replacing the wires, so a training device would only produce an impact and imbed the barbed probes, no current goes to the probes.

And during the classroom portion we saw similar footage from another agency. Apparently it's not uncommon for the "spotters" to be grabbed when some people's hands curl-up.

Originally posted by tuwood
I thought the same thing. Seemed like the juice was turned down a little.

There's not any way to control the power level of the device, which is probably a good thing. The cartridges used for end-user "exposure" are the same ones carried on-duty. It's not the worst pain I've ever experienced, that award still goes to gall stones, but it wasn't something I'll be putting on my Christmas list!

Edited by RBesecke 2013-09-20 8:55 PM
2013-09-20 9:13 PM
in reply to: RBesecke

User image

Pro

Originally posted by RBesecke
Originally posted by Left Brain Training device.......no way you can scream when you REALLY get tazed.
I don't mean to be a contrarian, but yah, you can scream. I got taser certified a couple of weeks ago and have the video to watch over and over. Thankfully the noise I made was more like a loud growl, so I didn't sound like a complete wuss, but a few of our people did scream. Afterwards they said they could hear themselves screaming and had no control over it. I had intended to not make any noise at all, but as soon as the probes hit, my body just started making the noise. I was able to stop it after about 3 seconds, but it started completely involuntarily. The training cartridges have non-conductive filaments replacing the wires, so a training device would only produce an impact and imbed the barbed probes, no current goes to the probes. And during the classroom portion we saw similar footage from another agency. Apparently it's not uncommon for the "spotters" to be grabbed when some people's hands curl-up.
Originally posted by tuwood I thought the same thing. Seemed like the juice was turned down a little.
There's not any way to control the power level of the device, which is probably a good thing. The cartridges used for end-user "exposure" are the same ones carried on-duty. It's not the worst pain I've ever experienced, that award still goes to gall stones, but it wasn't something I'll be putting on my Christmas list!

#1 - there are training devices that have lower juice

#2 - the pins were stuck pretty close together on her....and probably on you too for your training (if the training was done properly)...... get one in your leg and one in your shoulder and tell me about how you scream. LOL

#3 - I can deliver multiple shocks that you didn't get in training that will cause you to STOP screaming. LOL

#4 - if a Police Officer is threatening to taze you....... do all you can to keep that from happening.... you'll never forget it if you don't.

2013-09-21 6:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
Originally posted by Left Brain

#1 - there are training devices that have lower juice

#2 - the pins were stuck pretty close together on her....and probably on you too for your training (if the training was done properly)...... get one in your leg and one in your shoulder and tell me about how you scream. LOL

#3 - I can deliver multiple shocks that you didn't get in training that will cause you to STOP screaming. LOL

#4 - if a Police Officer is threatening to taze you....... do all you can to keep that from happening.... you'll never forget it if you don't.

I won't contradict that, I've not done any research beyond what we had in our class.

I know that the probes hit me in my left thigh and just below my right shoulder. Our instructors pulled the X26 model right off the shelf of the issue room and used regular, issued cartridges for our exposure, but my knowledge of all of the possibilities provided by the manufacturer is very limited. I can only speak from my own experience.

And while I'll volunteer for another exposure if need be, I know that I have NO desire to experience multiple cycles in one instance. A single 5-second ride is plenty. I remember some folks talking about having devices that have an automatic 15 or 20 second cycle; ours are shorter and I'm fine with that.

Edited by RBesecke 2013-09-21 6:56 AM

2013-09-21 7:19 AM
in reply to: RBesecke

User image

Pro
Originally posted by RBesecke
Originally posted by Left Brain #1 - there are training devices that have lower juice

I won't contradict that, I've not done any research beyond what we had in our class. I know that the probes hit me in my left thigh and just below my right shoulder. Our instructors pulled the X26 model right off the shelf of the issue room and used regular, issued cartridges for our exposure, but my knowledge of all of the possibilities provided by the manufacturer is very limited. I can only speak from my own experience. And while I'll volunteer for another exposure if need be, I know that I have NO desire to experience multiple cycles in one instance. A single 5-second ride is plenty. I remember some folks talking about having devices that have an automatic 15 or 20 second cycle; ours are shorter and I'm fine with that.

Yeah, that's all good stuff.......I'm going from the experience of probably seeing a couple hundred people tazed......not many screamers....and not for long if they are.  The idea is to render them incapacitated...... it's not pretty, but there isn't a lot of vocalization going on.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Unfortunate Tazer casualty Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Casualty list - pre race

Started by cnsegura
Views: 1434 Posts: 7

2013-09-13 3:39 PM danimal123

Casualties of the current economy... Pages: 1 2

Started by SweetK
Views: 1527 Posts: 26

2008-10-07 2:43 PM kmanus

Casualties of the current economy...