General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-17 7:17 AM

Subject: Cold weather tri
I'm doing a tri this weekend that includes a pool swim. The indoor swim will be a breeze but then the outside temp for the bike and run will be chilly - about 50 degrees. Trying to decide what gear to put on in transition 1. Should I put on a jacket and gloves? Or just arm warmers? I hate to take a lot of time to put clothes on, of course, but I also hate the thought of being frozen during the bike and run. I appreciate any tips!

2013-10-17 7:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Cold weather tri
If it's a sprint I wouldn't worry about anything but a tri suit. You'll warm up quickly if you're going all out on the bike. If you really need to you can throw on some arm warmers. Roll them up and throw them on your wrists in transition then pull them up once you get going on the bike. You shouldn't need anything extra for the run. 50 is perfect running temperature.

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by Patrick E 2013-10-17 7:25 AM
2013-10-17 7:25 AM
in reply to: claire1000

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

your adrenaline will keep you warm, i wouldn't even worry about wearing anything extra on the bike, and you will be plenty warm by the time the run comes 

2013-10-17 7:47 AM

User image

Everyone reacts to the cold differently. I'm older a older 65 yo male with a fairly low % body fat. My worst Triathlon this year was one I did when the morning air temp was around 48F and the water temp was 63F.

Even with a wet suit, by the end of the swim, I could feel my core temperature decrease. I took the time to put on a long sleeve cycle shirt, but, it was to light and didn't block the wind sufficiently. My bike leg of the Triathlon was a disaster!! My body got colder and colder and I just couldn't function. Worst bike ride of the year!

I finally started to warm up three miles into the run and could feel my body come alive again.

Lessons to self:

1. Don't schedule Triathlons for to early or to late in the season.
2. If the air temperature is low, take the time to wear "cold weather" jersey. One that has a front panel that blocks the wind. The time lost in transition will be made up on the bike with better performance.
3. If the water temperature is very low, double cap to keep your head warm and wear ear plugs. Cold water really plays havoc with my inner ear and balance. Ear plug solves that problem.

Good Luck
Have a great Triathlon!!

2013-10-17 9:33 AM

User image

New user
Athens, GA
My first tri of the season was a pool swim with early morning temps in the low 40s. I used arm warmers, and I think gloves (just cheap $1 stretchy Target ones). I also wore socks on the bike and run and toe covers on my bike shoes. In retrospect, I could probably have lived without the arm warmers (I did take them off on the run as planned) but they didn't take much time to put on - I had them rolled up so just popped them over my wrists and didn't unroll them up my arms until I was already moving on the bike.

For me, a sprint at 50 degrees and assuming the weather is otherwise mild, I'm not adding anything at all. For a longer race or if the weather is inclement, I might add something.
2013-10-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: Macguyverguy

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Originally posted by Macguyverguy

Everyone reacts to the cold differently. I'm older a older 65 yo male with a fairly low % body fat. My worst Triathlon this year was one I did when the morning air temp was around 48F and the water temp was 63F.

Even with a wet suit, by the end of the swim, I could feel my core temperature decrease. I took the time to put on a long sleeve cycle shirt, but, it was to light and didn't block the wind sufficiently. My bike leg of the Triathlon was a disaster!! My body got colder and colder and I just couldn't function. Worst bike ride of the year!

I finally started to warm up three miles into the run and could feel my body come alive again.

Lessons to self:

1. Don't schedule Triathlons for to early or to late in the season.
2. If the air temperature is low, take the time to wear "cold weather" jersey. One that has a front panel that blocks the wind. The time lost in transition will be made up on the bike with better performance.
3. If the water temperature is very low, double cap to keep your head warm and wear ear plugs. Cold water really plays havoc with my inner ear and balance. Ear plug solves that problem.

X2, This would describe my first cold weather Tri to a Tee.

Good Luck
Have a great Triathlon!!

2013-10-17 11:04 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
2013-10-17 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4878971

Thank you all for your helpfulness. Hmmm ... decisions, decisions. I really have an extremely low tolerance for cold so I don't think it would be wise for me to go with just the tri suit. I'm thinking I'll try the rollled up arm warmers and toe covers and see how that works. Thanks again!
2013-10-17 10:13 PM

Personally, I would go with a tight fitting full zip windbreaker for ease of getting it on, gloves, and socks. Strip off the windbreaker and gloves for the run. I've had crap weather for many of my races this year, and found that biking wet at 50 degrees or less is a miserable experience.
2013-10-20 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4879578

So ... I ended up wearing arm warmers AND a jacket AND gloves. Maybe I'm a wimp but I'm so glad I did it. I was still agonizingly cold but it was bearable and I survived. Finished 4th in my AG because the transitions killed me but at least I don't feel as though I abused my body more than absolutely necessary. I think what I've learned through all this is that I probably just need to stay away from cold weather events. My blood is just too thin Thanks for all the tips!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather tri Rss Feed