General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting Back...running question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-17 10:48 AM

Cumming, GA
Subject: Starting Back...running question
I did a couple sprint triathlons a couple years ago and took some time off. I am starting back up again and have a question about running strategy.

Currently I cannot run for more than 3 minutes without heart rate going through the roof and having to walk, so I am starting from ground zero. My goal is to do a sprint tri in the spring (2014) and then an Olympic towards the late summer/fall (2014).

Should I:

A) Do a couch to 5k type program to get myself up to the point where I can run a 5k without stopping then move into a training plan that will likely keep me in heart rate zones during base phases. (currently on week 2 of a couch to 5k plan and I am often above my aerobic heart rate zones although my average heart rate at the end of the workout is not that far above my range).

or

B) Stop what I am doing and do heart rate based training on my runs to build up my aerobic base.

or perhaps something totally different. Interested in your thoughts.

2013-10-17 10:51 AM
in reply to: Dooly

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Subject: RE: Starting Back...running question
At that stage, don't be so tied or worried about your heart rate. You just need to run easy to medium and until you build your base up again.
2013-10-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

A Couch to 5K program or something similar would be great to gradually build back. But it sounds like you have to slow WAY DOWN to be able to extend out your running.

2013-10-17 10:57 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I guess the couch to 5k plan has a lot of run walk in it.

I would ditch whatever heart rate monitor you have and just run or run/walk the prescribed miles. After a few weeks your body moves past the inital steep learning curve and you can run in zone 1/2 without the cardiac peaks.

This come from someone who is very anti electronics however. I have never trained for HR and only really take it when I am resting to see if I am still in recovery or not.
2013-10-17 11:43 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Personally, at this point, I'd say do the couch to 5k/beginning run plan, but drop the hrm and use PE. If you can't talk or converse during the run part of your run walk program, slow down. Concentrate solely on building a base, not on distance or pace.
2013-10-17 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4879130

if it was myself i wouldn't relay to a 5k training program at this stage.
first you need to build a base then you can adjust to the type of race you want to compete in.
don't worry about heart rates at this time, slow down your run and keep on going until you reach the goal of 1h run non stop. perfect for a beginner would be 10km in 1h. from this base you can start doing differents workouts (sprints, intervals).
but first build a base and give your body/joints/knees the time to adjust to the run/fatigue/

2013-10-17 12:00 PM

User image

Regular
Ankeny
I'm in a simmilar situation however, my layoff was due to injury. What I've done is gotten to the point where I could run a mile, and jumped back into C25K from there. It's worked really well for me thus far. My goal is to build a base of five miles (slow and steady) and then start with the HR training training. I should be there by 1 January.

Good Luck!
2013-10-17 11:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, California
I just started training in July after years of not running and have Been using an iPhone app. Zombies,Run! It builds from the ground up and is so fun to listen to and train with. It starts with walk run intervals and transitions to longer runs, all while playing your workout playlist and telling a story. I can't wait to get to the regular running app. Give it a try. You'll be ready for the zombie apocalypse!

Edited by Trbilbao 2013-10-17 11:44 PM
2013-10-18 4:00 PM
in reply to: Trbilbao

Cumming, GA
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I think I am going to stick with the couch to 5k program, but I won't overdue it and repeat weeks if I have to.
2013-10-21 3:34 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
I did somewhat similar. I had an Achilles rupture, and when I was finally allowed to start running, I would run/jog 1 min, walk 2. I did that for a mile, then increased it until I hit 2-3 miles. Then I went back to the 1 mile distance, but ran 2, walked 1. Got that up to three miles.

From then on, I just worked on getting it to where I was running 3 miles a day (Which is 21 a week, respectable if you're doing sprint tri training), and then morphed into the BarryP running plan. (3 short runs, 2 med runs, 1 long. Each one is double the previous, so if your short run is 15 mins, your med are 30 and your long is 45).

John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting Back...running question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Question: Back to back events?

Started by indianacyclist
Views: 933 Posts: 7

2011-07-26 8:45 AM japarker24

Question on doing Sprints on back to back weekends

Started by uhcoog
Views: 955 Posts: 5

2010-08-31 9:24 AM uhcoog

Back to back races....question!!!

Started by rhodespedal
Views: 566 Posts: 2

2007-06-26 10:30 AM briderdt

Started Running!....now I have a few questions...

Started by Redline1
Views: 942 Posts: 10

2007-02-24 10:35 AM us50090

long run and long bike back to back?

Started by kellc09
Views: 1629 Posts: 10

2006-02-26 8:32 AM amiine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on running muscle imbalance correction, water running, overdistance training, back-to-back Olys, maintenance plans and speed and common age-grouper mistakes.
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
My main concern is obviously the running but my priority is weight loss. I really need any advice on how to get ready.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Michael
Why is it so hard to start over after an extended leave from the sport. When it comes to training we can't live in our glory days!
date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.