General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Double, Triple IM, Virginia Beach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-01 9:54 AM

London UK
Subject: Double, Triple IM, Virginia Beach
Has anyone done this event in previous years? I was just wondering how well it is run, venue, course info. A couple of us were thinking of 'having a go' in Oct.

Thanks

2006-08-01 10:33 AM
in reply to: #499271

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Double, Triple IM, Virginia Beach

I have NOT done this race. I had it on my calendar for this year but ... excuses excuses excuses.   I believe Gina (grvfrog) is still planning on doing it this year.

I am going to volunteer in October just to get an idea of what it is like, and plan on preparing for it for 2007. 

From what I hear, it is well run, but it is an "unusual" venue.  You do multiple (as in 24 for the swim, 45 for the bike and 26 for the run) loops to complete the distances. So the entire race takes place within a relatively small area. 

Oh yeah, it is NOT Virginia Beach.  Lake Anna State Park is more central VA - probably close to 2 hours from Va Beach and an hour south of DC. 

I have no idea what your base is like, and NO offense intended, but I can't imagine just "giving it a go"  unless you were in EXTREMELY great shape. Exlcuding the thought of a 3+ hour swim, the difficulty of getting off the bike in an regular IM and running a marathon is bad enough.   Now bike for 14 hours (the time a lot of us FINISH an IM in) and go for a 50+ mile run???   And THATS just the DOUBLE!  lol  

You might take a look at the volume that Gina is putting in preparing for it.

I did a 50 mile trail run that was difficult for me to finish.  Anyway, probably stating the obvious, but an extremely mentally and physically demanding challenge. 

If you do decide to attempt it best of luck and see ya there.

Crap, I meant to put the website link in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.usaultratri.com/welcome.html

At the bottom of that page you can click on links to see the S/B/R courses and descriptions.

Edited by glf33 2006-08-01 10:38 AM
2006-08-01 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
That sounds pretty nuts to me but I just looked and you don't actually have to "swim" the swim. You are allowed to paddle it in a kayak/canoe. That is kinda strange.
2006-08-01 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Quebec City
You do have to swim. But your crew and staff have to paddle!  
2006-08-01 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Actually, they do have a division for those who want to kayak the swim portion (I haven't seen any results from where people have done this in the past though). Your crew is allowed to wade out to the swim line to bring you water/food/etc.
2006-08-01 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Also, you can look at the current participant list for this year at the site, looks like there are a couple of other guys from the UK coming out for the race too. That Arthur Puckrin from England has done several ultra triathlons and has done a couple of brief race reports on this race, however, he says the course is hilly, but from the website, etc. I'm reading that it's fairly flat, guess it's everyone's own perspective.

Another thing, if you are planning to do it, I would e-mail the RD, Steve Kirby. He sent out an e-mail to us this week wanting to verify who all are still coming or not to get an accurate headcount for planning purposes.

2006-08-07 10:42 AM

London UK
Many thanks for the comments!

I've just sent an email to Steve K to let him know I'm interested but wont be able to commit until 22 August. Also seen the list of those entered/interested. I recognise a couple of names inc Andy Collier who I've communicated with before on another forum.

When I say 'give it a go' it's the feeling I get when I move up to any distance. I don't want to expect too much from it. It's obviously a completely different ball-park and I don't want to put any pressure on myself. Only done 2 ironmans (3rd coming up) and 13 marathons (inc) so far. The reason I'm thinking of trying this out is because my IMUK splits last year got quicker as the race went on until I found my second half-mara was 25th. Ive cycled lejog twice (1100 in 11 days with full camping gear) and felt good.

Anyone know how much you would expect to drop your speed for the three disciplines in a double (from an ironman)?
I didnt realise the laps were so short - but useful....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Double, Triple IM, Virginia Beach Rss Feed