Buy a SmartTV3 Votes - [60%]
Buy a TV & Chromecast2 Votes - [40%]
Buy a TV & Apple TV0 Votes - [0%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2014-01-27 10:00 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: Help me pick another screen

Until last week, I used two laptops in my house. My old one would be streaming Netflix, and the new one would be used managing my coaching clients, catching up on e-mail, and playing around on the internet.

Well, the old laptop died. It wouldn't turn on for 3 days, then it did, and still won't connect to the internet. I've declared it useless or that and many other reasons (battery doesn't work, USB ports usually don't work...)

My TV is so old (and it was free), it doesn't have HDMI inputs, and isn't widescreen. I don't have cable, so it pretty much only gets used for DVDs, and as speakers for my laptop.

Here are my options, as I see them:

1. Buy a tablet as my second screen. My bf is lending me his iPad and letting me install some apps so I can see if it's worth the money.

2. Buy a smart TV - it'll do basically everything I was using the old laptop for.

3. Buy a TV that's HDMI capable, and get Chromecast

4. TV w/ HDMI and Apple TV (can do more things than Chromecast)

5. Something else?

2014-01-27 10:31 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Help me pick another screen

You might look at "Smart" blu-ray players for your netflix watching. In our house we have a "dumb" tv and we bought a Samsung smart blu ray player that plays the discs but also can download apps such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. Works pretty well for our purposes and might save you money over a smart TV.

Another really cheap option is a Roku box. It won't play discs but it will do all the apps. We bought one for our bedroom tv because the tv is hung on a wall where we cannot put a BR player below it. The Roku uses a radio remote instead of an infared so we were able to put the Roku up on a plant shelf, out of sight but the remote still works. They run $100 or less.

2014-01-27 10:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
36 - 40 inch LED (you can find them cheap) - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/42-class-42-diag--led-1080p-120hz-hdtv/...

WiFi enabled Blu-Ray (also find relatively cheap so you have Netflix and regular/Blu-ray DVD player) - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/smart-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player/783...

Chromecast - it's only $30 so I'd spring for it regardless.

Also look at getting an inexpensive sound bar with subwoofer. You can get all the above for about $600 and be set up for all your AV needs.

Edited by bradleyd3 2014-01-27 10:38 AM
2014-01-27 10:55 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

Hadn't even thought about the smart Blu-ray thingy. Hmmm...

Thanks guys!

2014-01-27 10:57 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Thanks guys!

Just don't go too cheap on one. We went cheap the first time, got an Insignia, which is the Best Buy brand made by LG. It sucks. Never gets an update, drops wifi often, etc. 

The Samsung unit we bought after that is much better, gets updated often and is pretty quick to respond. The Roku is even faster. 

2014-01-27 11:21 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Thanks guys!

Just don't go too cheap on one. We went cheap the first time, got an Insignia, which is the Best Buy brand made by LG. It sucks. Never gets an update, drops wifi often, etc. 

The Samsung unit we bought after that is much better, gets updated often and is pretty quick to respond. The Roku is even faster. 

BIL got the insigna one....and would not update. He called customer service and was basically told that there were no more firmware updates. Basically he's stuck with that. Some discs play, others don't.

The Blu-Ray I linked above is the one I have. It's great.

Roku is a good option too. We have one but it's in the bedroom for Netflix. Great thing about that is that it's a plug and play so you can take it TV to TV in your house (or take it anywhere as long as there is wifi).

2014-01-27 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Is cable in your future? If so, a TV might be the way to go with Chromecast for the time being.

2014-01-27 2:12 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID

Are you an Apple based family?  Pictures, movies etc through iPhones and iTunes with music etc?  If so, an Apple TV might be better as you can stream you iPhones and their videos and pictures etc.  If you aren't an Apple family, go with Chromecast.

2014-01-27 2:17 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro

Originally posted by cdban66

Is cable in your future? If so, a TV might be the way to go with Chromecast for the time being.

No cable in my future.

2014-01-27 2:17 PM
in reply to: bradword

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bradword

Are you an Apple based family?  Pictures, movies etc through iPhones and iTunes with music etc?  If so, an Apple TV might be better as you can stream you iPhones and their videos and pictures etc.  If you aren't an Apple family, go with Chromecast.

I have an iPod nano and shuffle. That is the extent of my Apple-fan-ness

2014-01-27 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Chromecast is pretty cool, I got one for Christmas.  Some things about it if you are not familiar.

You do need to power it.  There is a micro USB connector on the end and it comes with the proper cable to connect to a standard USB port.  Most TVs also come with at least one USB port so getting power to it is not an issue, just an FYI...

Setup takes all of about 5 minutes.  It was really easy but it does require you have wireless in your home.

We have android and apple in the house both play very nicely

Since it uses your wireless connection there is no extra battery drain on the device broadcasting to it

It only works with certain apps but there are supposedly a lot in the works

There is a plug in for the Chrome browser that allow you to stream the internet from a PC so any website could be broadcast

Hope that helps, good luck!!

2014-01-27 3:00 PM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Pro

Originally posted by caffer

Chromecast is pretty cool, I got one for Christmas.  Some things about it if you are not familiar.

You do need to power it.  There is a micro USB connector on the end and it comes with the proper cable to connect to a standard USB port.  Most TVs also come with at least one USB port so getting power to it is not an issue, just an FYI...

Setup takes all of about 5 minutes.  It was really easy but it does require you have wireless in your home.

Since it uses your wireless connection there is no extra battery drain on the device broadcasting to it

There is a plug in for the Chrome browser that allow you to stream the internet from a PC so any website could be broadcast

I can do other things on the same PC while watching something streaming from the PC on Chromecast, right?

2014-01-27 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Be careful with Chromecast and Ipad combo. We have an old Ipad (Ipad 2?) and its operating system is too old and not chromecast compatible. Also I could not get chromecast stream from media player (solved it by copying the movie into a flash drive and installing the drive in the USB port of a smart blue ray player).

Having said that, my Chromecast works great from computers and from the surface tablet, and for $30 well worth it.  That and a smart TV/smart blue ray DVD combo should work great. I bought my TV at costco, since they give you a 2nd year of warranty for free. I got a Vizio (my second one) and quite happy with it, great value.

2014-01-27 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

I can do other things on the same PC while watching something streaming from the PC on Chromecast, right?

I would think so but I have not yet tried that....  I will try when I get home tonight and report back.

2014-01-27 3:58 PM
in reply to: Samyg

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Samyg

Be careful with Chromecast and Ipad combo. We have an old Ipad (Ipad 2?) and its operating system is too old and not chromecast compatible. Also I could not get chromecast stream from media player (solved it by copying the movie into a flash drive and installing the drive in the USB port of a smart blue ray player).

Having said that, my Chromecast works great from computers and from the surface tablet, and for $30 well worth it.  That and a smart TV/smart blue ray DVD combo should work great. I bought my TV at costco, since they give you a 2nd year of warranty for free. I got a Vizio (my second one) and quite happy with it, great value.

Thanks!

If I go the iPad route, I won't be getting a TV - I'll just continue to stream on my laptop (or the iPad)

2014-01-27 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Yep , you can run other programs while your casting, in fact, you can even open other tabs in chrome and browse while broadcasting a different tab.  If you have multiple tabs open they are listed when you click on the Google Cast icon you just choose which tab you want to broadcast.  The only thing I see with casting the chrome browser is about a second or 2 lag on the TV from when you scroll the screen on the PC.

2014-01-27 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

You might look at "Smart" blu-ray players for your netflix watching. In our house we have a "dumb" tv and we bought a Samsung smart blu ray player that plays the discs but also can download apps such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. Works pretty well for our purposes and might save you money over a smart TV.

Another really cheap option is a Roku box. It won't play discs but it will do all the apps. We bought one for our bedroom tv because the tv is hung on a wall where we cannot put a BR player below it. The Roku uses a radio remote instead of an infared so we were able to put the Roku up on a plant shelf, out of sight but the remote still works. They run $100 or less.

x2 for Roku.  Love it.  we have 2 of them.   For most of our watching, streaming is unreliable due to the speed of traffic through the great firewall.  We generally download our shows and then watch them.  You can get a program called "Plex" for your computer to serve up the files, and then install the Plex channel on the Roku.  Works a treat!

Also:  Whenever possible, hardwire these types of devices instead of using wifi.   MUCH more reliable and much faster as well.   Sometimes, you just can't... but when you can, I highly recommend it.     Hardwiring my iMac and Roku solved ALL problems with long load times and drop-outs during watching.   

2014-01-28 8:51 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Pro

Originally posted by moondawg14

x2 for Roku.  Love it.  we have 2 of them.   For most of our watching, streaming is unreliable due to the speed of traffic through the great firewall.  We generally download our shows and then watch them.  You can get a program called "Plex" for your computer to serve up the files, and then install the Plex channel on the Roku.  Works a treat!

Also:  Whenever possible, hardwire these types of devices instead of using wifi.   MUCH more reliable and much faster as well.   Sometimes, you just can't... but when you can, I highly recommend it.     Hardwiring my iMac and Roku solved ALL problems with long load times and drop-outs during watching.   

My house is tiny. I don't think I can put the TV more than 10 feet away from the cable modem

2014-02-04 2:06 PM

User image

Pro

I know you are all anxiously awaiting the results. I bought a SmartTV on eBay. Apparently, if you don't mind two small scratches on the screen, those things sell for like 30% of the total retail cost. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Help me pick another screen Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

my dog is running into my screen door, help

Started by Focker
Views: 8734 Posts: 12

2012-11-20 7:33 AM wwlani

Screen help!!

Started by Daremo
Views: 1269 Posts: 12

2008-11-17 1:58 PM Daremo

Help me pick my wedding song Pages: 1 2

Started by kleinrider
Views: 1585 Posts: 29

2007-08-23 8:33 AM DTraub

Help me pick 10yr anniversary work gift

Started by auto208562
Views: 1342 Posts: 14

2006-06-12 10:43 AM bmacmanus

Help me pick a new cell phone

Started by kleinrider
Views: 1746 Posts: 24

2013-06-05 4:53 PM rick4657
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.

date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.
date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.