General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frustation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-27 10:32 PM

User image

Subject: Frustation
Feeling a little frustated!
Going onto week four of really watching my nutrition and exercise! By no means have I been a saint! And my measurements are showing body composition changes. But I have been up a couple pounds the last 4-5 days!

I now up and down swings are too be expected.

Started the month at 242 was down to 236.6 last Wednesday!
Been hovering around 238 most of the weekend.

I know it's kinda early to worry about but I feel like it might be a platuea starting

I think I will give it till Wednesday before I reevaluate everything

2014-01-28 9:16 PM
in reply to: ktoolz

Expert
Subject: RE: Frustation
Water weighs in at a little over 8 lbs per gallon, so a little water retention due to salt retention or just drinking more typically accounts for the majority of day to day fluctuations. Working out builds muscle, muscle weighs more than fat, if your measurements are improving you probably are gaining muscle and losing fat. Repost after four months and let us know how it's going

2014-01-28 9:48 PM
in reply to: vonschnapps

User image

Yes my little rant will seem pale and thin
2014-01-29 6:35 AM

User image

Veteran

Best way to prevent this type of frustration is to stop stepping on the scale everyday. Weigh in before a long workout to check if you are hydrating adequately but other than that once a week same day same time same...

Always remember you are moving forward and making progress no matter what the scale says. 1LB of fat weighs the same as 1LB of muscle. You will build muscle as you burn fat so give yourself a break and just keep working towards your goal.

2014-01-29 9:59 AM
in reply to: 1_Mad_Madone

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by 1_Mad_Madone

Best way to prevent this type of frustration is to stop stepping on the scale everyday. Weigh in before a long workout to check if you are hydrating adequately but other than that once a week same day same time same...

Always remember you are moving forward and making progress no matter what the scale says. 1LB of fat weighs the same as 1LB of muscle. You will build muscle as you burn fat so give yourself a break and just keep working towards your goal.

Agreed. Perhaps a break from the scale for a couple days could help your mental sanity.
2014-01-29 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4939768

User image

Thanks everyone,

Big drop on the scale this morning to make every feel oh so good!

2014-01-30 9:43 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
I'll second not getting on the scale every day.
Once a week gives you something to shoot for, and a reward when things go well.

My preference is Monday morning so that I am more careful on the weekend.
Daily variations are too large to be of much value, I find. Sure, drops are good but raises are a de-motivating force, and I don't need that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frustation Rss Feed