Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Home finances program/app recommendation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-20 8:06 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Home finances program/app recommendation?
I do the Braciole family finances and do a good job but with room to improve in terms of budgeting and my methods are really outdated (it involves a lot of handwritten notes in a ledger and manual typing into excel).

What I need is a very user friendly program for dummies that can synch basic info from various sources such as our bank account and a couple of credit cards, but that will also allow for some customization and manual data entry. Like TrainingPeaks/Strava/Garmin connect for home finances. I'm really not looking to do anything sophisticated here, just a dummy trying to get out of the stone age and budget more accurately. the last time I tried to "modernize" and improve my method i attempted to use some Quicken program on a 3.5 inch floppy and never got out of the gate with it.

Any recommendation or suggestions?

2014-03-20 8:09 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Home finances program/app recommendation?
My wife uses "mint" . She loves it and it is easy to use, or so I am told. Good Luck.
2014-03-20 8:35 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm a big fan of Quicken.  It syncs EVERYTHING.  We have our banks, mortgage, all car loans, credit cards, student loans, etc... that it just sucks in every day.  It has an app that runs on our phones as well that syncs with everything.

My wife snaps a picture of each receipt with the app when she's shopping and it syncs it right up with the computer file.  The budgeting is really nice as well and as you're shopping the app tells you how much money you have left in each category.  So my wife knows how much is left on the grocery budget by just a quick glance at her phone.

2014-03-20 9:12 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by tuwood

I'm a big fan of Quicken.  It syncs EVERYTHING.  We have our banks, mortgage, all car loans, credit cards, student loans, etc... that it just sucks in every day.  It has an app that runs on our phones as well that syncs with everything.

My wife snaps a picture of each receipt with the app when she's shopping and it syncs it right up with the computer file.  The budgeting is really nice as well and as you're shopping the app tells you how much money you have left in each category.  So my wife knows how much is left on the grocery budget by just a quick glance at her phone.

That sounds great! That would be slick for our business comparison to budget. Do you use it for Cambium or do you have different business accounting software ?
2014-03-20 9:22 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by tuwood

That sounds great! That would be slick for our business comparison to budget. Do you use it for Cambium or do you have different business accounting software ?

We use Quickbooks Enterprise for our business and it's awesome as well.    Cheapest payroll solution on the market and it integrates with everything.
So, same company, but different product lines.
Quicken wouldn't work for a business because it doesn't have a concept of invoicing or purchasing that is needed.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Home finances program/app recommendation? Rss Feed