General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lateral Knee Pain Mystery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-26 8:15 PM

Subject: Lateral Knee Pain Mystery
I have been nursing lateral knee pain with a corresponding inner-thigh pain for over a year now. What started as discomfort has now kept me from running for 9 months.I can walk and squat but within a few minutes of running, i have incredible knee pin that has me limping for 7-10 days. I have flat feet and overpronate. I've seen 2 surgeons, had 2 MRIs, multiple X-rays of hip and knee and the only results are a medial meniscus tear and some delaminated cartilage on the medial femur head. My surgeon believes these findings result in medial knee discomfort but not the extreme lateral pain that prevents me from running. A steroid injection to the lateral knee did help but lasted only 10 days - injections to the hip resulted in no change. I am now seeing my third physical therapist who is completely stumped. A self-diagnosis of mine has me leaning towards a peroneal nerve issue but i have yet to see a neurologist and I'm not sure as this type of nerve issue usually presents in the foot and ankle -not knee. Not sure what these doctors could be missing.

2014-04-30 4:04 PM
in reply to: SPF50

Subject: RE: Lateral Knee Pain Mystery
No matter how you describe your injury, whether it's a tear or strain or sprain or inflammation, your soft tissue is repaired by your own body. I can't tell you exactly what the pain is a result of, but as far as healing and preventing reinjury, you should supplement the healing process with exercises and stretches in order to stimulate blood flow frequently. A standard part of that therapy would be to stimulate blood flow, because the more we promote blood flow, the faster we will heal. And even after healing, you should keep it up as to prevent further injury. Your body continues to heal itself long after the pain has disappeared. It is very common for the full healing process to continue for 2 years or longer, even for rather minor injuries. For further information I have included some links to explain more. http://www.kingbrand.com/Knee-Pain-Treatment.php?REF=36PV103 http://www.kingbrand.com/Knee-Injury-Meniscus.php?REF=36PV50
2014-05-01 1:31 PM
in reply to: polaferriere

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: RE: Lateral Knee Pain Mystery
sent u a private message
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lateral Knee Pain Mystery Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

RE: Lateral retinacular release surgery for knee pain

Started by Dave Tri's again
Views: 2148 Posts: 4

2009-06-12 3:53 AM BikeFu

Lateral Knee Pain

Started by susanp
Views: 12938 Posts: 6

2008-09-12 7:49 PM susanp

Lateral Knee Pain from running

Started by ginafech
Views: 1211 Posts: 5

2008-04-13 8:03 PM JHagerman

left lateral knee pain

Started by awlandkammer
Views: 689 Posts: 2

2007-03-23 2:26 PM DarrellC

left lateral knee pain

Started by teamvwracing
Views: 855 Posts: 4

2006-12-01 5:46 PM teamvwracing
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 29, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a tight IT band on my left leg, but my right knee's pain is in a slightly different area, more in the joint, on the outside of the knee. Is this still an IT band issue?

date : July 28, 2011
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : May 21, 2010
comments : 2
Woke up at 7am and physically could not walk. Pain was shooting in my knee (almost dropped me to my knees). Later I went to my sports doc. He could not simulate the pain whatsoever.

date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!
date : December 19, 2008
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.
date : October 3, 2007
The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.

date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.