Other Resources My Cup of Joe » School fundraising Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-28 5:27 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: School fundraising
For those of you with grammar school aged children, how much money does your school expect you to contribute? My kids go to a parochial (Catholic) school in the western suburbs of Chicago. In addition to the $4K+ tuition per child, we're asked for $ for the fun fair, a school auction, and an annual fund. I saw the #'s from last years fundraising, and they raised over $60K at the Fun Fair, $178,000 at the Auction, and they are looking for $200,000 for the annual fund. This seems excessive to me. The private high school I attended doesn't have that kind of fundraising budget, and I know my blue-collar grammar school (also Catholic) would faint at the thought of over $400K/ year from fundraising.

I'm curious what other schools are asking for/bringing in? Am I out of line to think this is insane? They wanted $250 per couple just to walk into the Auction, where the cheapest item that was donated bid for $500. "Annual Fund contributions are expected to be 100% community participation."
In other words, pay up or be ostracized.

2014-04-28 7:23 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: School fundraising
Wow: that is high. I was PTA president for our Catholic school and our whole operating budget for fundraising was ~$45K. We had one outright pledge drive event which brought about $30K and the rest from a silent auction and dinner.

Get involved in the board and learn why and how you can help,change it.

I don't know the support your diocese contributes, but ours was minimal. We ran very lean, but we were very good with the kids and all worked and supported each other.
2014-04-28 8:12 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by mcgilmartin For those of you with grammar school aged children, how much money does your school expect you to contribute? My kids go to a parochial (Catholic) school in the western suburbs of Chicago. In addition to the $4K+ tuition per child, we're asked for $ for the fun fair, a school auction, and an annual fund. I saw the #'s from last years fundraising, and they raised over $60K at the Fun Fair, $178,000 at the Auction, and they are looking for $200,000 for the annual fund. This seems excessive to me. The private high school I attended doesn't have that kind of fundraising budget, and I know my blue-collar grammar school (also Catholic) would faint at the thought of over $400K/ year from fundraising. I'm curious what other schools are asking for/bringing in? Am I out of line to think this is insane? They wanted $250 per couple just to walk into the Auction, where the cheapest item that was donated bid for $500. "Annual Fund contributions are expected to be 100% community participation." In other words, pay up or be ostracized.

The Catholic Church, (at least in the Indianapolis Archdiocese) has been really hitting on:  Time, Talent and Treasure.   If your school is only focusing on "Treasure," then maybe it's not a good fit for you? 

Our tuition in "rural" Columbus, IN is comparable to yours.   The fundraising is not quite as extensive, as far as I know.  We definitely don't pay $250 per couple for the Annual Auction tickets.  Most of the live-auction stuff (one or 2 items made by each class) does get a little pricey.   I'm sure we don't clear $178,000 at the auction, maybe half of that.

It sounds like your school prioritizes fundraising in order to make tuition accessible for more people.  That money is either going to come from tuition or fundraising.   If you don't like the $$$, maybe find a way to support the schools through time or talent?

2014-04-28 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
My son goes to a private Catholic HS - our tuition is almost $10K a year. In addition with all the various fundraisers etc. we probably spend another $1K a year. It's a lot - but it has been worth every single penny - (please note we are not Catholic) the benefits my son has gotten from the school, the education and the Sisters has been immeasurable. As a matter of fact my husband who was not at all involved with anything school related prior to HS has gotten involved with the PTO and even gets up early on weekends (used to always sleep late) to go to estate sales and garage sales looking for items (and baskets) to donate back to the various school functions.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » School fundraising Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

High school science project locks down school.

Started by Moonrocket
Views: 1261 Posts: 2

2013-05-21 11:28 AM SevenZulu

Fundraising for Luekemia and Lymphomia Society

Started by hoff1732
Views: 615 Posts: 1

2007-06-26 8:34 PM hoff1732

Fundraising Advise

Started by jteddy39.3
Views: 450 Posts: 8

2006-09-08 2:26 PM runnergirl29

Fundraising to fight ovarian cancer-please read

Started by Staredge
Views: 605 Posts: 1

2006-03-03 10:25 PM Staredge

Another fundraising question RE: Wal-Mart

Started by Sassafras
Views: 772 Posts: 8

2006-01-30 1:33 PM runnergirl29
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
comments : 0
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.