General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are my first two Triathlons (Sprint and Olympic) too close to one another (3 weeks)? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-18 4:41 PM

, Georgia
Subject: Are my first two Triathlons (Sprint and Olympic) too close to one another (3 weeks)?
First off, sorry for the long post. Bless your heart if you read this whole thing.

So I am signed up for my first triathlon on August 16th (13 weeks away) in Macon, GA and my second triathlon 3 weeks later outside Augusta, GA on September 6th. The first Tri is a double sprint (Swim 350, Run 1.5m, Bike 13, Run 1.5m, Swim 350), and the second is a standard Olympic Distance. I wanted to sign up for a triathlon but wanted a good challenge. I know that if I wanted to, I could complete a Sprint Tri in about a month from now. However, a Sprint Tri for me isn't about completing as much as it is competing. I would like to take advantage of my 'novice' rank and try to compete for a good time. This lead me to challenge myself more and sign-up for an Olympic Tri. The problem I found is if I want to train for both, those are the only dates that I could do each type of Triathlon in my area. Ideally, I would like to have almost 2 months between the races but I am stuck with 3 weeks. Is this a bad idea? Is it possible? Does it require a certain set of training? Any advice would be great!!! Below is my training plan for the 2 races. Thanks to all who can help!!! THE GOAL IS TO COMPETE FOR THE SPRINT AND COMPLETE THE OLYMPIC WITHOUT DRAGGING MY BODY ACROSS THE FINISH LINE!

My training program is a total of 16 weeks. (1 week baseline, 12-weeks for Sprint, 3-weeks for Olympic)

- 1 week baseline of each event. Know my limits and current pace times. Get the body loose
- Followed by a 12-week 'OLYMPIC STYLE' training program.
- 6 days/week. 3 workouts per event each week.
- Every 4th week is recovery week
- 5th week begins brick training.
- Week 10 is peak week
- Week 11-12 is tapered off leading up to my Tri on a Saturday.
- After 2 rest days, training picks up hard over 2 weeks with an easy week prior to my Olympic.

Any thoughts about the training regimen would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!!

2014-05-18 5:08 PM
in reply to: gogmen12

Subject: RE: Are my first two Triathlons (Sprint and Olympic) too close to one another (3 weeks)?
No, they aren't too close. Some race multiple weekends in a row, some every other week, and some race twice in the same weekend.

Training plan basics seems fine. 3 sessions per sport per week is pretty standard, you'll get results if you stick to it. Not sure what you mean about starting brick workouts in the 5th week. But I'm one of those that believes bricks are not necessary more than a couple times to get a feel for it.
2014-05-18 5:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Are my first two Triathlons (Sprint and Olympic) too close to one another (3 weeks)?

You'll be fine.  You will probably learn so much from the first one that you will be eager to get back out there and go at it again.  That's usually how it goes.  Everything is new the first time around and mistakes are bound to be made.  Then you will want to get back out there and learn from the issues you had in your first race.  3 weeks is plenty of time for recovery.  Is the September race the Hot Dam Olympic at Clarks Hill?  I know you said Augusta, but that is right there close. 

Anyway, I'll be at Clarks Hill for that weekend, racing the Double.  Oly on the 6th, Sprint on the 7th.  If I can do a 1 day turn around, you can do a 3 week turnaround. 

Edited by Dominion 2014-05-18 5:16 PM
2014-05-18 5:20 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

, Georgia
Thanks for the insight ziggie204! I am an amateur in the Tri sport so it's good to know that I won't need much rest in between events. I couldn't edit my post within the 30 minute allotment but in regards to my brick training, I meant to say 2 brick days on the 2 weeks after recovery (5&9) and then again during peak week (10). I hope that clears it a little. I cant imagine doing bricks everyday for about a month lol.
2014-05-18 5:26 PM
in reply to: Dominion

, Georgia
Originally posted by Dominion

You'll be fine.  You will probably learn so much from the first one that you will be eager to get back out there and go at it again.  That's usually how it goes.  Everything is new the first time around and mistakes are bound to be made.  Then you will want to get back out there and learn from the issues you had in your first race.  3 weeks is plenty of time for recovery.  Is the September race the Hot Dam Olympic at Clarks Hill?  I know you said Augusta, but that is right there close. 

Anyway, I'll be at Clarks Hill for that weekend, racing the Double.  Oly on the 6th, Sprint on the 7th.  If I can do a 1 day turn around, you can do a 3 week turnaround. 

I am doing the Macon double and the Hot Dam Olympic on Sept. 6th. When I signed up, they offered me a $30 fee to do the sprint on Sunday, and as tempting as that price point is, I would first like to see how I feel after my first Olympic Tri so I am just doing one. On a side note, I noticed the SBR gear in your pic. I just started working there 2 weeks ago. Bradley and Jody were the first people I met when I moved from West Virginia last August and my Triathlon interest started with them. Once I started working there I had a massive urge to just finally shut up and sign up for a Triathlon. Or 2 lol. My name is Bobby and I'll most likely see you around SBR, group rides, or at Clarks Hill in September. Thanks for the help!
2014-05-18 5:33 PM
in reply to: gogmen12

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Ok.  Well welcome to town.  I stopped in to SBR last week to grab a few gels for my race in Jekyll Island this weekend.  Was that you I met working behind the counter?  Anyway I'm sure I will be seeing you around.  Let me now if there is anything I can help you with, but you are in good hands with Jody and Bradley. 

2014-05-18 8:05 PM
in reply to: Dominion

, Georgia
Originally posted by Dominion

Ok.  Well welcome to town.  I stopped in to SBR last week to grab a few gels for my race in Jekyll Island this weekend.  Was that you I met working behind the counter?  Anyway I'm sure I will be seeing you around.  Let me now if there is anything I can help you with, but you are in good hands with Jody and Bradley. 

Yeah that would be me. 3 purple gel packs to be exact. Stephen Roundtree came in after the race and I was told that the ocean current was brutal at Jekyll. Hope the race went well for you. I'll see you around!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are my first two Triathlons (Sprint and Olympic) too close to one another (3 weeks)? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Two Tri's In Two Weeks w/ One week of Training

Started by XCtoTri
Views: 2432 Posts: 13

2012-08-13 11:55 AM XCtoTri

Advice needed - Two weeks before first Sprint

Started by outlandluc
Views: 1444 Posts: 11

2012-06-25 5:16 AM marcag

Olympic two weeks before first HIM?

Started by sranney
Views: 958 Posts: 6

2006-11-16 7:55 AM Birkierunner

First "sprint" in one week

Started by oilcan
Views: 883 Posts: 13

2006-06-02 9:57 PM chzzpt40

First Sprint in one week

Started by Daredvl
Views: 701 Posts: 4

2005-01-04 6:17 PM Daytona Bill
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 11, 2007
comments : 1
Is one month enough time to recover from my first marathon to go and do my first olympic tri? My alternative options are to do the 1/2 marathon and then do the olympic.

date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
comments : 0
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.