2014-05-30 8:24 AM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Safe to Assume?
Originally posted by Danno77

Originally posted by mike761

Originally posted by jblamb1401

This argument is off the freaking deep end.

I can understand not putting a disk wheel sideways into the wind behind a Corvette, but hanging 15lbs over 2 points on a carbon frame is going to crack the CF. Come on now...

I even did some basic calcs to show everyone it was silly worrying about it, and they still don't understand?

it's such a minor thing that it's not worth getting worked up over, but your "basic calcs" don't even consider the effect of vibrations or torsion, both which are the main point here. I think I even posted above that it wouldn't be a big deal to hang a bike like that in your garage, but on a bike rack it's the compression on the tube, the twisting in the wind, and the vibrations from driving down the highway.

^^^ Actually it does- go to engineering school and get your degree, then spend 10 years do Carbon fiber R&D for military applications, Bike applications, aerospace applications, and medical applications. Then come talk to me.

2014-05-30 10:45 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by jblamb1401 This argument is off the freaking deep end. I can understand not putting a disk wheel sideways into the wind behind a Corvette, but hanging 15lbs over 2 points on a carbon frame is going to crack the CF. Come on now...
I even did some basic calcs to show everyone it was silly worrying about it, and they still don't understand?
it's such a minor thing that it's not worth getting worked up over, but your "basic calcs" don't even consider the effect of vibrations or torsion, both which are the main point here. I think I even posted above that it wouldn't be a big deal to hang a bike like that in your garage, but on a bike rack it's the compression on the tube, the twisting in the wind, and the vibrations from driving down the highway.
^^^ Actually it does- go to engineering school and get your degree, then spend 10 years do Carbon fiber R&D for military applications, Bike applications, aerospace applications, and medical applications. Then come talk to me.

Game, set, match.

I just don't like the hanging style because they are less secure, more bike movement, and there is a potential for pain scratching. They are definitely much cheaper though.

2014-05-30 2:34 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL

I can understand not putting a disk wheel sideways into the wind behind a Corvette, but hanging 15lbs over 2 points on a carbon frame is going to crack the CF. Come on now...

So, when talking to laymen, you use words like modulus and throw numbers out there and expect us to understand, but I'm the ignorent one. I'll come talk to you when you learn to use the english language to communicate with other individuals at their level. I went to school for that.

So, my lesson here is that I should not assume I can decipher stuff over my head. What did you learn?
2014-05-30 3:20 PM

User image

Exton, PA

So, when talking to laymen, you use words like modulus and throw numbers out there and expect us to understand, but I'm the ignorent one. I'll come talk to you when you learn to use the english language to communicate with other individuals at their level. I went to school for that.

So, my lesson here is that I should not assume I can decipher stuff over my head. What did you learn?

Actually those are laymens terms and simplified calcs for what we are talking about.

But this is just a forum, if you would prefer to believe in the guy at the shop that says " dude that's not a good idea the carbon fiber might not handle it" that's your choice. I'm just giving some info.
2014-05-30 5:51 PM

Where did you get your roof rack that is immune to vibration and wind?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Safe to Assume? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Assuming both bikes fit

Started by brreems
Views: 1575 Posts: 12

2012-07-02 5:09 PM KathyG

Assuming...

Started by MUL98
Views: 1118 Posts: 24

2008-04-01 10:38 AM Renee

Is it safe to run in the morning? Pages: 1 2

Started by ChipmunkHeart
Views: 2843 Posts: 35

2005-10-28 6:12 PM LabraNostra

Is it SAFE AT NIGHT?

Started by jchyte
Views: 1586 Posts: 22

2005-09-22 12:21 PM Tania

Safe Biking

Started by oostdyka
Views: 1364 Posts: 12

2004-03-29 5:57 PM montyb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : March 6, 2008
author : Diane1961
comments : 0
As triathlon gains in popularity, there will be more athletes like me: never participated in competitive sports, minimal race experience, and only recently taken up endurance sports.
date : October 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Is it ever advisable to try to lose muscle mass? I've been struggling with a cycle of training to lose weight or rehabilitate some minor injury and only gaining muscle, which adds to my weight.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
It may seem simple, but too many athletes get hurt during the season. We all need to stay safe while we share the roads. Here are some reminders to remain alert to our surroundings.