General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM During "That Time of the Month" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-02 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: HIM During "That Time of the Month"
Good Morning All,

Question for the women out there - it looks like my HIM next month will be during that most lovely time of the month. I can deal with the "logistics," but any tips on how to race through the cramps and fatigue would be most appreciated. (Other than "suck it up, Buttercup!" LOL!)

It's usually the only first 24 hours that are bad for me, so I'm hoping I won't have the bad luck to be at that particular point in my cycle during the race, but doing what I can to prepare and mitigate.

(And no, for medical reasons using the Pill to alter my schedule is unfortunately not an option.)

Thanks!

2014-06-02 9:57 AM
in reply to: PinkPrincess

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: HIM During "That Time of the Month"
this was posted on our local tri club's FB page. I haven't bothered to read through it, but thought it may be helpful to you.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/understanding-your-cycle...
2014-06-02 10:57 AM
in reply to: tstruyk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Thanks! No real suggestions for during menstruation, more on adjustments for mid-cycle ovulation phase, but I found it REALLY interesting because I always heard the opposite was true - athletes performed better mid-cycle than beginning.

This is basically saying if I can keep my head in the game and ignore the bloating/mood swings/etc, I'll actually perform BETTER this time of month. HUH.
2014-06-02 11:20 AM
in reply to: PinkPrincess

User image

Melon Presser

Obviously every woman is different, but both theoretically and on average, women do actually do better on those days.

You're not likely going to feel great to start out with, or possibly even during, but chances are those sensations will clear up as you race, but even if you continue FEELING sub-par, it's not likely to affect your performance (as you can see, the likelihood is the opposite).

I'm assuming because of nix Pill that this can't be done either, but it's a far more temporary state (this excerpt is from Livestrong):

Use Natural Progesterone Cream

Progesterone is the hormone that rises during the first half of your cycle, then decreases during the second half. The dip in progesterone signals your period to start. If you just need to buy yourself a few days, you can keep your progesterone levels up with natural progesterone cream. NPC is available at health food stores; different manufacturers make creams with different concentrations. Starting at ovulation, or at the midpoint of your cycle, apply one-fourth of a teaspoon of the cream two times per day, according to John R. Lee, M.D., of the International Center for Nutritional Research. When you are ready for your period, stop using the cream. The withdrawal of progesterone will cause your period to start.

Increased physical activity the few days before may do it, too, but not exactly a recipe for a smooth taper and getting you to the start line fresh!

Some people think cutting out all spice (even white pepper or mustard, anything remotely hot) at mid-cycle will prolong the second half, thereby delaying menstruation. Alternately, if you want to fire up during mid-cycle, may bring your menstruation on earlier, most effective if started a few cycles ahead.

Various levels of consumption of soy, lavender (not sure about that one, don't quote me on it), shepherd's purse herb, and/or a ton of ibuprofen (not recommended) plus high levels of the B-vitamins several days before are thought to postpone menstruation.

However, going au naturel (so to speak, not literally ) seems like it'd be best for your performance anyway.

In any case, GO IRONHOBBIT GO!

2014-06-02 11:24 AM
in reply to: #5005516

Oh bummer. I take prenatals for the extra iron the week before my period starts and really push extra fluids, seems to help a bit. Good luck to you!!
2014-06-02 3:33 PM
in reply to: Spartypants

User image

I have never done a race that long, but I am one of those women who can feel so run down with 48 hours on either side of the start of my period that it is all I can do to get through a day of work. There have been cycles when I have felt more exhausted from simply going up a flight of stairs than from running a half marathon (yes, I have seen physicians).

Last year I read an article that talked about how most pre-race advice was aimed at men, but with women they found that extra protein and salt helped performance, especially during the luteal phase of a menstrual cycle. Through unfortunate timing, I had two Oly races fall right in that spot and found that it helped. I also found that reducing simple carbs and replacing them with complex carbs helped even me out. I have also found that it helps to avoid alcohol.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM During "That Time of the Month" Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Last Month of IM Training Volume vs Race finish Time

Started by rc63413
Views: 1018 Posts: 6

2008-09-26 8:03 PM JeepFleeb

3 months, 3 times a week

Started by rollinbones
Views: 783 Posts: 10

2008-03-07 9:41 AM rollinbones

Realistic Improvements in Run Time in 3 months?

Started by Spokes
Views: 633 Posts: 5

2006-02-06 9:07 AM oneword

One month enough time????

Started by bsjracing
Views: 1026 Posts: 8

2005-10-10 4:12 PM mprevost

Time above Zone 2 during base building

Started by ellismichael
Views: 593 Posts: 1

2005-02-07 4:56 PM ellismichael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
comments : 0
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.