General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A good way of testing your bike/ run cocktail Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-20 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmond, OK
Subject: A good way of testing your bike/ run cocktail
I've been working on the perfect mixtures for my bike and run bottles however, I've been worried that I might be 10 miles into a 30 mile ride and my mixture of say prune juice and olive oil has some surprisingly adverse affect on my GI tract. What's a boy to do?

So, today I mixed up a batch of Cytomax and Red Bull which has been untested in my bike bottles and consumed it prior to mowing the yard. Yard work takes me roughly 2 hours and consuming my drink prior to hitting the heat and stress of mowing, edging and weed eating was a pretty good test. [I survived.] It's probably not a perfect test of a race day experience but a pretty good step in the right direction and better than finding out on a ride.

Oh, a question for the group:

1. What do you put in your bike bottles?
2. What do you put in your run bottles?

Does anyone really use the mixture of Cytomax, Carbopro, Metabolol Endurance and Red Bull on the bike?

Yours in alchemy,
Chap

2006-08-21 3:10 PM
in reply to: #516775

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: A good way of testing your bike/ run cocktail

K.I.S.S.

don't overthink your nutrition.

also, even if tested during training, it'll most likely be different during a race since you'll rarely (if ever) train at the length of high intensity you race at and the higher the HR the less efficient your body is at digesting nutrition.

hence...keep it simple.

to directly answer your questions.

1)  Perpetuem

2) depending on the race length...water only for Oly; gu/water for HIM; whatever I can get down for IM.

Edited by Steve- 2006-08-21 3:11 PM
2006-08-28 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmond, OK
By the way, I tired Red Bull and Cytomax after a day at the office and it helped get me through a ride.

I also tried a mixture of Cytomax, Met Endurance and Carbopro on a run and it helped get me through a very hot and very humid workout.

Chap

2006-08-29 6:37 AM

User image

Regular
Atlanta
Accelerade in bike bottle and just water for the run. I'm actually thinking of just leaving a bottle in the transition area and taking a small bottle on the bike because I never drink much of it during a sprint. An Olympic I go through two.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A good way of testing your bike/ run cocktail Rss Feed