General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental toughness or bat crazy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-29 1:58 PM
in reply to: Then&Now

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: RE: Mental toughness or bat crazy?
I thought about this thread this morning when I went to swim. I am cold intolerant and whine a lot about training in the cold. Hey, I live in Tucson so most of the year is blazing hot. Right now mornings are cold though. Anyway, I have been swimming in the morning and getting to the point of not hating it. Today the dang pool heater was down! Apparently not long enough for the pool to be freezing but definitely cold. I did my work out. If I can do that then htfu with the 45 degree air temp and swim! Make use of the hot tub if there is one. I LOVE the hot tub after a winter swim.

2015-01-29 3:42 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Regular
I swim in an indoor pool, but tomorrow's outdoor temp at 5:00am is supposed to be below 0. Thinking of getting in the car and driving there to get in an 80 degree pool is hard for me. I think I could handle your situation.
2015-01-29 3:49 PM
in reply to: hessma

I did a big chunk of my training for 70.3 Worlds using an outdoor pool in sub-freezing temperatures - in Kabul, Afghanistan.

*Drops mic*
2015-01-31 5:08 PM
in reply to: UrsusMaximus

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
I watched this show last year, I think on the Discovery Channel, about enduring pain and training your body to tolerate pain better. One of the most effective ways, according to these scientists, was to take ice cold showers. Cold water, it appears, increases your pain threshold.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental toughness or bat crazy? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

had my first moment of mental toughness today for the season

Started by Ganze
Views: 797 Posts: 2

2009-03-05 5:26 PM BodyCheck

Mental Toughness - What do you do? Pages: 1 2

Started by strostertag
Views: 1986 Posts: 31

2009-03-02 2:11 PM fgump

A new use for mental toughness

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1217 Posts: 6

2009-02-18 10:54 AM rottieguy

Need help Building mental toughness Pages: 1 2

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1743 Posts: 30

2006-05-30 10:44 PM Steve-

Mental Toughness

Started by LCT
Views: 1145 Posts: 20

2005-10-21 10:45 AM hangloose
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
On countless occasions, we have heard it from people. You swim how far? You have got to be crazy!
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.

I had a great experience being a volunteer, but used the time to educate myself on anything that could allow me to have a better race or pass something on to the readers at BT.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.