General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain - Moving Around - What Gives? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-23 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
Subject: Knee Pain - Moving Around - What Gives?

Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience with knee pain or injury...

About a week and a half ago on a long run my right knee starting bothering me.  Like an idiot, I tried to run through the pain to see if it would go away, as my knees and ankles typically hurt a little towards the end of every long run.   After about 8 miles in the pain got so bad I had to stop and walk and could barely even do that.  The pain was on the outside of my right knee.   From everything that I read afterwards, it sounded like a clear case of ITB.

The next day the knee was still sore.  Since then it seems to be getting a litte better, albeit slowly from day to day.  However, I can still feel some discomfort.   Weird thing is since I hurt it, the pain has moved from the outside of the knee, to below the kneecap, and now the discomfort is above my knee.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the pain seems to be manifesting itself in different places every couple of days?    Could I possibly be dealing with something different than an ITB injury?   Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Edited by joannh13 2006-08-23 9:08 AM

2006-08-23 12:41 PM
in reply to: #519409

Veteran
Subject: RE: Knee Pain - Moving Around - What Gives?
I have experienced some similar pain / soreness from simple overuse or increasing my weekly milage too fast. Began on the back / outside of my right knee and over the next few days migrated around to the front and lower quad area. It felt very similar to the early stages of tendonitis that I had years back.

How have you been treating it? Was / is there any swelling? Still resting, or are you running again?

I found taking 3-4 days off and consistently icing it alleviated the pain and allowed me to get back into my routine at a lower mileage. Fwiw, I had been running about 10-12 miles per week and jumped up to 16 for two weeks the last time I had the knee pain issues.

2006-08-23 2:29 PM
in reply to: #519409

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
Subject: RE: Knee Pain - Moving Around - What Gives?

I have been icing it almost every night since I hurt it and was wearing an Ace knee brace thing daily up until today.  When I ice at night I also elevate my leg.

I stopped running for a week and tried to do a little bit this past weekend (7 days after injury).  Walked 1/2 mile warmup then alternating 1/4 mile (SLOW) run with 1/4 mile walk.  Could only do about an hour.  In hindsight this was probably too much.   Biked 3 hours this past weekend also and knee felt okay.

Taking this week as a 2nd rest and recovery week.  Planning on only swimming and biking at low levels.   Probably no running at all this week even though it is complete and total mental anguish to cut my training back so much.  Only 2 months & 2 weeks from IMFL so this is really hard to sit back and feel like I'm doing "nothing" compared to my typical training weeks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain - Moving Around - What Gives? Rss Feed