General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainerroad Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-08 2:00 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: Trainerroad
Question for you trainerroad users: How do you incorporate it into your triathlon training? I am going to start using it this week and from what it sounds like, once you do your FTP test, they set you with a training plan. Do you follow this training plan to a T? I'm assuming the training plan they set you up with does not factor in the fact that you will be running and swimming also. So do you guys follow the plan or do you just take some of their workouts and throw it into your training plan however you want?(To me doing this would sort of defeat the purpose of using trainerroad if your not going to train how they recommend. Please give me some insight before I get started! Thanks

2015-03-08 2:58 PM
in reply to: #5098858

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Trainerroad
There are some triathlon specific workouts in the library.

You can build your own workouts or do free rides. Tons of options.
2015-03-08 4:02 PM
in reply to: Nick B

nashville, Tennessee
I guess that's what I don't understand. I know they have a ton of workouts to choose from but do they give you a specific plan as far as when to do certain workouts? Isn't that the idea of trainerroad is that they structure a plan to make you faster? If I just pick and choose workouts in their library then I would feel like I'm just doing my own thing and not following their plan. Is that what most people do though, just pick whatever workout they want to do for the day?
2015-03-08 4:19 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Right now they have "specialty training plans" including a half iron distance plan at low, mid, and high volume. The plan assumes that you will spend half of your workout time on the bike and the other half either swimming or running. The plan lasts 12 weeks total. I've been using TR consistently since December and have used the mid volume triathlon plan since mid January. I've passed on a few workouts to ride outside or do a custom ride, but have probably done about 75% of the workouts in the first 7 weeks of the plan. In the next couple of weeks, it will move into the taper phase, but since I'm not racing that soon, I'll probably go back and do some of the early weeks in the plan (or move up to the higher volume after doing an updated FTP test). They've mentioned that a full IM distance plan is coming, but haven't seen anything yet. For me TR has been very helpful in having a structured plan and staying motivated to ride. Here's a little more on my experience:
http://trited.blogspot.com/2015/02/trainer-road-review-update.html
2015-03-08 4:27 PM

I would suggest taking a look at the sweet spot base. You can choose your volume so that it fits in with your other activities and schedule. I do not follow it to a 't' but u do use the plans to get workout ideas and I try to replicate the IF per workout and TSS per week no matter whether I use one of theirs or chose my own.

I do think it's very beneficial to follow a plan from the website otherwise you may end up guessing at how hard to plan each workout and each week.

2015-03-08 5:32 PM
in reply to: Nick B

I dont follow one of their plans because I'm not going to spend the majority of my bike workouts inside. I've been doing one indoor bike workout a week. For me, if gives me a good weekly very focused workout without worrying about outdoor biking issues like having to watch out for other cyclists, cars, dogs, etc.

2015-03-08 8:58 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've never followed any of their plans.

I know the types of workouts I want to do, and when, so I typically do my own thing.
2015-03-09 8:01 AM
in reply to: #5098867

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
What are your goals and focus (race distances). When is your race. What's your background.
There are different types of training you can work on by phasing one into another, all with the goal of improving your ftp.
2015-03-09 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
If my Tri plan calls for a 1:30 hour ride, I will pick a 1:30 ride from TR and once that corresponds to the intensity I'm shooting for that day. Tons of options.
2015-03-09 1:27 PM

User image

We've actually got a ton of new Specialty plans coming out this spring for different types of tri's, from sprint to full iron distance. While these plans only provide you with bike workouts, Coach Chad (our USAC Level 1 coach who designs the plans) has taken into consideration the fact that you still need to run and swim, and so these plans will provide a training structure that will allow you to incorporate these non-bike workouts into your week, in the best way possible to still maintain the prescribed progression of TSS.

-Trevor from TrainerRoad
2015-03-09 2:16 PM
in reply to: trevorderuise

User image

Master
I've been using their plans and enjoy/appreciate the structure. In my mind, a qualified coach has put them together so that the various workouts each week work together and the weeks work together to elicit a specific response. I'm about midway through the Sustained Power Build plan (mid-volume) and will transition to a HIM bike plan. I start with the bike plan and then layer in my run and swim fitness.

2015-03-09 6:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by trevorderuise

We've actually got a ton of new Specialty plans coming out this spring for different types of tri's, from sprint to full iron distance. While these plans only provide you with bike workouts, Coach Chad (our USAC Level 1 coach who designs the plans) has taken into consideration the fact that you still need to run and swim, and so these plans will provide a training structure that will allow you to incorporate these non-bike workouts into your week, in the best way possible to still maintain the prescribed progression of TSS.

-Trevor from TrainerRoad

Trevor,

I think the original posters questions was how to follow the prescribed training plan and still incorporate non-trainer outdoor rides. I was faced with the same question. I've chosen to do the "low volume" plans and not count my outdoor rides in the plan. So I may have 4 hours on the trainer, using virtual power, and another 3 hours on the bike outdoors. I'm not sure this is the best approach. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Scott I.

Edited by EchoLkScott 2015-03-09 7:05 PM
2015-03-09 8:38 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Originally posted by trevorderuise

-Trevor from TrainerRoad

Trevor,

I think the original posters questions was how to follow the prescribed training plan and still incorporate non-trainer outdoor rides. I was faced with the same question. I've chosen to do the "low volume" plans and not count my outdoor rides in the plan. So I may have 4 hours on the trainer, using virtual power, and another 3 hours on the bike outdoors. I'm not sure this is the best approach. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Scott I.

I've found a blog on TrainerRoad.com that partially answers my question.

http://blog.trainerroad.com/summer-intervals-can-you-really-do-them...

Scott I.

2015-03-11 7:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Originally posted by dfquigley I've never followed any of their plans. I know the types of workouts I want to do, and when, so I typically do my own thing.

x2 on this.  I basically select all my workouts from their library because I know what I want to do.  All the rides are based on your personal FTP, so you will gain benefit from virtually any ride.  If you have 3 rides on the schedule this week, I would recommend at least one ride with intervals above threshold, one being a long ride (steady state or some intervals at FTP), and a third ride with whatever you want.  I guarantee you will see improvements simply doing that.

Edited by sbsmann 2015-03-11 7:56 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainerroad Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TrainerRoad v. Computer

Started by japewang
Views: 1578 Posts: 17

2012-07-11 1:00 PM Rudedog55

TrainerRoad work out group Pages: 1 2

Started by powerman
Views: 2805 Posts: 35

2012-03-28 6:15 AM Rudedog55

I love TrainerRoad!

Started by tenninstr
Views: 2764 Posts: 21

2012-02-18 2:12 PM TriPatrick

UPLOADING TRAINERROAD

Started by roytyson
Views: 1592 Posts: 7

2012-01-06 1:44 PM marmadaddy

TSS in TrainerRoad vs. Training Peaks

Started by mjengstrom
Views: 4214 Posts: 6

2011-11-19 1:53 PM npearson99
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.