General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-12 10:27 AM

User image

Subject: Swimming help
Does anyone know of any clinics coming up in the Cola. Area for swimming ? Can't seem to get people to step up and mentor / show newbies what keeps them drowning :-D

2015-07-13 11:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: ---
same boat!

Edited by bkirby6 2015-07-13 11:16 AM
2015-07-22 3:13 PM
in reply to: bkirby6

User image

Subject: RE: ---
guess they want newbies to drown here in S.C. :-D
2015-07-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: N4SXX

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Greenville has a great masters swim program, and so does Charleston.  Columbia is kind of in no man's land. I'd suggest looking for any time of group swim or masters program in Columbia if it exists. 

2015-07-29 2:16 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Master
Originally posted by Clempson

Greenville has a great masters swim program, and so does Charleston.  Columbia is kind of in no man's land. I'd suggest looking for any time of group swim or masters program in Columbia if it exists. 

Never skip a chance to bash the home of the Gamecocks.

There should be a few places that offer adult lessons. I know a few people who went to pool at USC but I think they were faculty or students. There was or is a Tri-club at the Northwest Y and some of their members may be able to help out. It may take an effort, but I'm sure you can find someone to help. I'm pretty sure there is a masters program at a pool in Lexington but I'm just not sure which one.
2015-07-29 7:51 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

I have spent the past week asking all pools in the Cola. metro they say " wait till next year ! " seems I've heard that statement somewhere before :-O

I'm planning a trip to New York about Oct. for swim improvement clinic and talk about maybe a clinic for 2016 here at Murray for OW Tri's

2015-08-21 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
There is a group that is mainly runners but they also have triathletes in there and I know they do practice swims at one of the lakes there in Columbia. If you visit the Strictly Running store they should give you info or know who to talk to. Hope that helps.
2015-09-11 3:36 PM

Subject: RE: Swimming help
N4SXX,

I stay clear of clinics at this point. However, I'd highly recommend seeking a Masters swim team. I used to be an adult onset self taught swimmer. I started by getting some drill cards from a reputable online source and worked on body balance and thought I was swimming correctly. My first year I did a few Tri's and was a MOP swimmer. After a bunch of wasted time doing it myself with 3hrs a week with little to no improvement. I broke out of my comfort zone and joined USMS and started working out with the local team about 9 months ago. First month was very humbling and embarrassing. Now 9 months later I'd say I'm comfortably a FMOP swimmer and the tailing end of FOP. They say you can't win at the swim but it sure helps to breeze through it and not be gassed getting out of the water. Although I'm still not "fast" holding a 1:25-30/100 my technique, fitness, and confidence is Night and Day from where I was 12 months ago. I have a blast at workouts and every USMS team has a coach on the pool deck to constantly correct your form. You can't really tell where your flaws are until you watch a video which we do often. Also, you'll learn the 4 strokes which all carry over to improve your free. Drills drills and pool time you'll get there. The biggest plus is you'll meet like minded people. I now train with several of my lane mates in running/riding on a weekly basis. I can't recommend USMS enough. At my club you can try it out for 2 weeks free. If you want to improve seek a USMS team.

Good luck.

2016-02-05 11:23 AM

Subject: RE: Swimming help
Yes!

Harbison Rec. Center is having two Swim Clinics from a very talented coach (Zach Edenfield)

[email protected]

Session 2: Feb. 8th, 11, 15, 18, 22, 25 @ 5:30 - 7:00 PM (First day of class will start at 5:00)

Session 3: March 7th, 10, 14, 17, 21, 24 @ 5:30 - 7:00 PM (First day of class will start at 5:00)

Non-Resident to Harbison is $65 per Session
if you happen to be a resident of Harbison community, it is $60

Zach coaches my son, and this is how I know him. I have no affiliation with this program.

Swimming will focus on freestyle and open water techniques for tri. He is coaching individually so you can express your goals for the class and Zach will adjust.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming help Rss Feed