General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-16 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Subject: Help
Hello again, it's been a long time since I've visited the forum and now I need advice really. I'm currently at 274 pounds, should be around 180, have a torn meniscus in my right knee . Have high blood pressure and am now starting to have difficulty breathing even just sitting on the couch. So I need help designing a real program that will work for me. Will me breathing ever come back to normal? Where do I start? How do I start? how about some real world advice.

Thanks,
George.

2015-09-18 12:50 PM
in reply to: Buddaha1964

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: Help
Hey George...

I'm a 49 year old, married father of three and nine years ago I was respectably finishing Sprint tri's in the top 15% of my races... I've battled up and down weight my entire life and at that time I was a svelte 202 lbs. and felt great...

For some reason, I've let myself go and a few weeks ago I hit my all time high at 261

A year and half ago I had the right meniscus fixed and a month ago had my left fixed and I've also felt the labored breathing - I'm assuming all these issues are related to the weight so my only solution is losing it

In the past the most effective weight loss methods for me were Weight Watchers and Atkins combined with exercise.

So three weeks ago I started Atkins and exercising and I'm down 8 pounds

Got a long way to go but I plan on getting to at least 210 then we'll see where it goes.

Every time I've started a program and the weight began dropping it just snowballs and you get more and more inspired to keep at it!

Good luck! Maybe we can travel this road together???
2015-09-19 7:21 AM
in reply to: maxmattmick

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Morning Greg,

I still haven't figured out what works best for me yet, that's why I was looking for practical advice from someone that's actually been there. There is just so much confusing advice that goes completely against all the other confusing advice you just never know what really works and what doesn't.

I tried Atkins but that's one I just can't keep with for very long. What I Think I'm going to do is look for recipes that are 500-700 calories for dinner. Try and keep breakfast and lunch at 500 each then a couple of between meal snacks at around 200-300 calories and see how that goes. There was a blog, Body by McDonalds, that broke down the nutrition I'll have to see if it's still active and check it out.

How do you combine Weight Watchers and Atkins?

Right now at my weight running just plain hurts, but then now I'm reading aerobic exercise isn't the way to go for weight loss it's strength training. Like I said confusing advice But I prefer aerobic exercise and I think where I'm at right now I can't help but build muscle doing any of that type of exercise also.

I'm going to re-vamp my diet this weekend so Monday I'll be able to start fresh, let me know how your goes maybe we can keep each other on track.

George
2015-09-19 9:23 AM
in reply to: 0

Buddaha,

My story can be found on page 2 of the ketosis thread. 60 years old, high bp and cholesterol, started in February eating more or less Paleo. I eat meat, lots of veggies, nuts, some fruit, almost no dairy. I try to make the only carbs I get the ones that come in veggies that pack fiber. I have said goodbye to pasta, bread and starchy vegetables. I generally don't miss that stuff. Your palate and appetite WILL change. I work out and / or run / bike 5-6 days a week. If running hurts get on the spin bike at a gym or buy one for your house. I bought an $1,800 spin bike in like-new condition off of craigslist for $600. You don't even have to spend that much.

I am still on BP meds and going to the doctor to get off them because my BP is almost scary low now. I have lost 32 lbs. Trimming the fat has been fun, rewarding and intoxicating. I just did my first ever triathlon (a sprint, in which I came in third in my 60-64 age group) and I will do my first half Ironman next June.

I don't know if you download and listen to podcasts but the three that have been most helpful to me as regards weight loss have been Primal Potential, Underground Wellness and The Model Health Show, in that order. They are free podcasts. There are some good triathlon podcasts also. The one I like is Triathlete Training Podcast, which mixes advanced stuff with beginner tri information and interviews....both helpful and inspirational.

Good luck with the journey. You can do it.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2015-09-19 9:28 AM
2015-09-21 9:09 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Thanks HaydenHunter, I just started today tracking my calories, carbs, protein and fat in each meal. also walked for 30 minutes today, the plan with that is to walk for at least three days (maybe even the week) then start mixing in short runs gradually increasing the length of time I run until I can run the entire way.

The goal with eating (at least right now) is around 2100-2200 calories for the day have my protein amount to be about half the carb count and the fat count to be about half the protein count. I'll see how that goes for a while and adjust from there.

This weeks numbers:
274 Pounds
BP: 179/95
Pulse: 70 (my blood pressure medication lowers my pulse rate)
My sleep quality for last night was 4-5 (1 being the worst and 10 being a GREAT nights sleep)
Sleep time was 8 hours 15 minutes but I was up for 1 hour 20 minutes in the middle of the night for a total sleep time of 6 hours 55 minutes

The weight, BP and pulse will be weekly numbers. Sleep quantity and quality will be daily as will be the exercise amounts and once I get all set up my nutrition numbers for the day.

George
2015-09-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: Buddaha1964

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
I'm still doing well with low-carb and daily workouts

Got on the scale this morning because I may not be able to tomorrow and didn't lose anything from last week.

But clothes are fitting better and that's a good feeling!

I remember the last time doing Atkins i hit a plateau after three weeks or so - hope to lose again next week!

Good luck to you guys! Keep it up! It ain't easy!

2015-09-24 2:36 PM

Originally posted by maxmattmick

I'm still doing well with low-carb and daily workouts

Got on the scale this morning because I may not be able to tomorrow and didn't lose anything from last week.

But clothes are fitting better and that's a good feeling!

This is indicative of what the scale shows (or doesn't show) when you are losing fat and gaining muscle mass. Your body has a better shape but the scale doesn't reflect the change. What you are doing is working!
2015-10-04 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Who cares what the scale shows if your clothes are fitting better you're doing something right. Congrats.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HELP, HELP, HELP

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 1606 Posts: 17

2007-08-15 8:00 AM oipolloi

HELP, HELP, HELP

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 994 Posts: 1

2007-07-31 9:19 PM Shermbelle

Help me help my siblings

Started by bikeoverrun
Views: 1080 Posts: 9

2007-06-01 1:25 PM chirunner134

HELP.....gaining weight!!!

Started by newgirl
Views: 1047 Posts: 5

2005-03-09 10:58 PM textridave

HELP.....gaining weight!!!

Started by newgirl
Views: 923 Posts: 3

2005-03-10 12:17 PM dontracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2014
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What’s New? Nutrition Update from the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics

date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.
date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips

date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.