General Discussion Race Reports! » U.S. Open Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

U.S. Open Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rockwall, Texas
United States
Pacific Sports
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 1s
Overall Rank = 46/208
Age Group = 30-34 F
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Swim
  • 16m 8s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

Really excited about this swim stream start. I was looking forward to swimming with swimmers regardless of age or gender. I started in the first group and still ended up all by myself. there were 2 people in wet suits that I just couldn't catch up with and no one was close behind. I ended up rounding the last buoy and joining the olympic swimmers. I slowed and drafted them. There was no chance to sight the remaining buoys as we were going directly into the sun. I just trusted the mob mentality and took it easy.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

We have no idea what time. The starting mat malfunctioned so the estimated the swim and transition time together. I thought it went really well. My transition practices are paying off. I saw my friend entering as I was leaving and razed him about his slow swim :) The hill to get out of transition was redonkulous.
Bike
  • 38m 58s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 16.17 mile/hr
Comments:

The most challenging course I've done. Lots of hills and turns and damaged concrete to watch for. Nearly wrecked coming down the last hill. Lady decided to stop right in the middle of the course and I had to grab a lot of break and scream. Not happy with my overall split. I feel like I left something on the course.
What would you do differently?:

Peddle faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

again, this race didn't give transition splits so who knows. I felt like I did well. I didn't face plant on the grassy mountain hill going DOWN into transition pit. I did like that I was one of the first into transition so it was supper easy to rack my bike. No need to move anyone's.
Run
  • 29m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The course was not well marked. I got lost going over/around this decorative circle sitting area and had to back track on the first loop. I'm so disappointed that I didn't break 29 minutes this year. But I do think that if this had been a normal course over roads without stairs or rocks I would have done it.
What would you do differently?:

Recon the whole course. I figured there would be more people ahead of me from the bike that I could follow.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Went back up to hotel and showered. Best shower ever--right after the race! Came back down and watched friends finish the olympic race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to work on riding hills and still running is my weak sauce.

Event comments:

This was the worst post race experience ever. No results for days and then an estimation of our results. No hot food or adult beverages. The swag was sad. On the upside, the course is very challenging with the hills and transition sitting in the low pit area. I will not be back, there are better races out there.

Last updated: 2015-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:08 | 750 meters | 02m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 0/208
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: rectangle. Return back to shore was straight into sun. Black buoy to sight on not ideal.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:58 | 10.5 miles | 16.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/13
Wind: Little
Course: single loop through Rockwall and Heath. Some 2 lane some 4. Lots of hills and raised concrete to watch for. The hill that you start on is the craziest grade but very challenging course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:15 | 03.1 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/13
Course: 2 loops. 2 sets of stairs. some trail/ very big rocky area. 1 very big hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2015-10-23 11:14 AM

User image

Subject: U.S. Open Triathlon - Sprint Course

2015-10-24 5:58 AM
in reply to: #5148565

User image

New user

sarasota
Subject: RE: U.S. Open Triathlon - Sprint Course
sounds like you got "shagged."
Tks for heads up on this course as i'll look up local and make sure I don't ever enter one in TX near this venue, for.....as u say "there are (plenty) of better courses/events out there
2015-10-25 9:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: RE: U.S. Open Triathlon - Sprint Course
I've had great races around this area - but for some reason, this particular one picked such a bad course for both the bike and run. Former races would use some nice wide roads as the main portion of the bike but this one didn't do that and stayed on small roads. Agree that the organizers weren't very organized, and their lack of communication and transparency with what they were doing with the results is just not very professional. Too bad as they got such a great brand name (US Open) for the race.

By the way, my avatar was from the US Open race I did in that location from 2010...much different back then - they had world-class pros in the field (including Javier Gomez)

Edited by m2tx 2015-10-25 9:53 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » U.S. Open Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by steve_k
Views: 677 Posts: 1

2012-10-08 9:57 AM steve_k

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by KSH
Views: 1749 Posts: 5

2011-10-05 7:57 PM HillSlugger

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - International Course

Started by Stude
Views: 1150 Posts: 2

2011-10-03 9:59 AM squirt

Started by lancemc5
Views: 957 Posts: 1

2011-10-02 5:13 PM lancemc5

Started by ernestov
Views: 1230 Posts: 1

2011-10-02 2:46 PM ernestov
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : September 9, 2009
author : monacoiii
I took up swimming to heal from a back injury. I’m a runner. I run marathons. How can I not swim 25 meters? So, in order to force myself to learn, I signed-up for an open water sprint triathlon.
date : July 28, 2008
author : Lagoon
comments : 0
Celebrating a milestone 60th birthday with a Sprint triathlon. I followed the training program conscientiously with one exception--I never got around to practicing an open water swim.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!