General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountains to Main Street - I'm in Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-06 5:55 PM

Subject: Mountains to Main Street - I'm in
And very excited too. I had another reason to go up to South Cove Park at Lake Keowee this afternoon, and it was absolutely beautiful. This only made me more anxious about the upcoming half-iron race. This will be my first long race; all previous have been sprints.
Is anyone else looking to do this race? I sure hope we have a great turnout.

Moukie

2015-12-07 8:13 AM
in reply to: moukie

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mountains to Main Street - I'm in
I initially thought there were be a poor turnout but it looks like registration is closing in on 200. There is a decent chance it may sell out. I am probably going to do the aqua-bike and hang out at the Swamp Rabbit Brewery for awhile
2016-02-03 10:18 AM
in reply to: #5155286

This is my first half ironman. I am signed up as clydesdale but my training is going so well I may not qualify for that, which would be a good thing.
2016-03-07 11:29 AM
in reply to: Jpregel

Looks like registration is already at 350'ish; going to be a fun day.....I hope.
May I ask if you are riding a roadie or tri-bike? I have both, and am much more comfortable on the roadie. But, I am debating getting out the QR to begin getting used to it. The folks I know are all riding their tri bikes.

Is Highway 11 going to be closed for the section we will be on? Would you consider this a hilly course? I have not ridden the course, but hope to before too long.

Thank you
2016-03-18 3:10 PM

User image

Master
I would call it a rolling course. A group is probably going to get together for a preview ride on March 26th. I will post details when they are worked out. I would definitely ride a tri-bike if you have both.
2016-03-23 6:41 AM

I'm looking to do it next year. Found out about it too late to properly prepare. Looks great though

2016-03-28 1:40 PM

User image

Master
I rode the course this past weekend with several other people. The hills weren't as bad as the headwinds. There are long straight open areas that were misery against the wind. Hopefully the wind will blow the other direction for the race. Most of us had 3100-3400 ft of elevation on our Garmins over 57.5 mile.
2016-03-30 11:31 AM

Thanks for the information Pschriver. I am still waffling on which bike to ride, but will have to decide soon. This being my first long race, I am still leaning toward the roadie just because I know the distance will not be an issue. On the tri, the old neck will be very sore after 3+ hours, I am sure.

My only preview of the course may be from the car, as I understand Hiway 11 was kind of sketchy and I generally ride by myself.

Thanks again for the info.
David
2016-03-30 7:49 PM

User image

Master
The Hwy 11 part is fine. There is a bike lane and I felt relatively safe there. The bad stretch is 288 going into Slater and 276 into TR. 288 has no shoulder. It is used by cyclist but also by a fair number of cars. I think you will be fine just driving the course and training on some of the safer routes. There is also a chance the course may change slightly before the race date. The Oconee county part is actually a scenic ride. The point-point route is a logistical problem and probably not worth the hassle.
2016-05-15 6:42 PM
in reply to: pschriver

Wow - I rode the course last night in my car, and have a feeling the hills will be brutal. I have settled into my tri-bike, and have trained exclusively on it for a numb of weeks now. I did, however, wake up this AM and change cassette from 11-25 to 12-27. I will need all the help I can get. Looking forward to the event!
See you there.
2016-05-23 10:47 AM

anybody got a race report?

2016-05-24 8:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Yeah, I posted mine just now. Tough race. Conditions and competitions made it really challenging!

Edited by Tmanishere 2016-05-24 8:47 PM
2016-05-26 12:00 PM
in reply to: Tmanishere

Well, since I started the thread, I guess I should at least report on how I did.

First off, a plug to Setup Events; the race organization was perfect. A logistical maze, but they did a very nice job and I hope everyone was happy.

Pre-race: I had jitters so bad, I seriously thought several times about not participating. This is my first non-sprint event, and I am 50 years old. I am so glad I went through with it. My swim and bike training went well. Run training was great up to 7 weeks out, when I hit a battle with Achilles tendonitis. 4 weeks of no running led to a slight case of IT when I finally started back 3 weeks from race day. My run suffered due to this. Also, the night before the race I was encouraged to set aside my fear of the hills so I put back on the 11-25 cassette and rode my first race on my tri-bike (which I had trained on exclusively for the last 10+ weeks). Good move; I really love that QR bike.

Swim - Breakfast was a muffin and a banana at 5: I had one Stinger waffle one at 7:39 because I felt so empty. At 8AM, I had one GU and a small water bottle with 3 scoops of First Endurance. Swim was as I expected. I stayed calm and at a moderate pace. Could have sighted better, but not too bad considering I had clear goggles on and looked into sun for first half. I was very happy with it. ~42 minutes in the water is good for my ability.

Bike - I aimed to be about 17mph average, and I think that is what I hit. My biggest mistake was not getting water at first stop; a mistake I had fair warning about. My bike computer quit working intermittently, so I never really knew precisely where I was. At what I guessed was about 35m, I ran out of water. I had delusions that I had missed 2nd stop too, so I slowed way down to try to limp to mile 51. Luckily, Pumpkintown stop at mile 40 came in time, so I fueled up, hit the port-a-john and kept on without too much time lost. I rolled in at just around 3:30, I think. I alternated Bonk Breakers gels and First Endurance Sports Drink, with copious amounts of water and never once felt low on energy.

Run - Had to start with a port-a-john visit again - too much water. I had trained well prior to the injury at 8:40ish pace, but knew I could not hold that with my injuries so I started very slow. I am very happy to have just kept running along without any sharp pains at my 9:50 pace. I was so afraid my Achilles or IT would crap out and end my day, so just finishing "injury-free" was a joy. I took one gel flask of First Endurance for the run, and almost finished it. Again, I never felt short of calories, nor the least bit upset to stomach. But, with only 300 calories consumed on run, I may should have taken a little more. Run ended about 2:09 ish.

General: My nutrition worked perfect. The First Endurance Sports Drink and Gel was awesome for me, and I would recommend to anyone. I will stay with that. Overall, I am very happy with my finish of 6:31. A little slower than I wanted, but a tough intro course for a 70.3. I had a great coach, who also raced and did exceptionally well; that made a world of difference. He showed me so much I would have never figured out on my own, and for that I am very thankful.

Moukie
2016-05-26 8:04 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by moukie

Well, since I started the thread, I guess I should at least report on how I did.

First off, a plug to Setup Events; the race organization was perfect. A logistical maze, but they did a very nice job and I hope everyone was happy.

Pre-race: I had jitters so bad, I seriously thought several times about not participating. This is my first non-sprint event, and I am 50 years old. I am so glad I went through with it. My swim and bike training went well. Run training was great up to 7 weeks out, when I hit a battle with Achilles tendonitis. 4 weeks of no running led to a slight case of IT when I finally started back 3 weeks from race day. My run suffered due to this. Also, the night before the race I was encouraged to set aside my fear of the hills so I put back on the 11-25 cassette and rode my first race on my tri-bike (which I had trained on exclusively for the last 10+ weeks). Good move; I really love that QR bike.

Swim - Breakfast was a muffin and a banana at 5: I had one Stinger waffle one at 7:39 because I felt so empty. At 8AM, I had one GU and a small water bottle with 3 scoops of First Endurance. Swim was as I expected. I stayed calm and at a moderate pace. Could have sighted better, but not too bad considering I had clear goggles on and looked into sun for first half. I was very happy with it. ~42 minutes in the water is good for my ability.

Bike - I aimed to be about 17mph average, and I think that is what I hit. My biggest mistake was not getting water at first stop; a mistake I had fair warning about. My bike computer quit working intermittently, so I never really knew precisely where I was. At what I guessed was about 35m, I ran out of water. I had delusions that I had missed 2nd stop too, so I slowed way down to try to limp to mile 51. Luckily, Pumpkintown stop at mile 40 came in time, so I fueled up, hit the port-a-john and kept on without too much time lost. I rolled in at just around 3:30, I think. I alternated Bonk Breakers gels and First Endurance Sports Drink, with copious amounts of water and never once felt low on energy.

Run - Had to start with a port-a-john visit again - too much water. I had trained well prior to the injury at 8:40ish pace, but knew I could not hold that with my injuries so I started very slow. I am very happy to have just kept running along without any sharp pains at my 9:50 pace. I was so afraid my Achilles or IT would crap out and end my day, so just finishing "injury-free" was a joy. I took one gel flask of First Endurance for the run, and almost finished it. Again, I never felt short of calories, nor the least bit upset to stomach. But, with only 300 calories consumed on run, I may should have taken a little more. Run ended about 2:09 ish.

General: My nutrition worked perfect. The First Endurance Sports Drink and Gel was awesome for me, and I would recommend to anyone. I will stay with that. Overall, I am very happy with my finish of 6:31. A little slower than I wanted, but a tough intro course for a 70.3. I had a great coach, who also raced and did exceptionally well; that made a world of difference. He showed me so much I would have never figured out on my own, and for that I am very thankful.

Moukie

Wow. Congratulations of finishing your non-sprint race! That's a pretty big jump! Looks like you raced well too.
2016-05-31 9:30 PM

User image

Master
Great job. You seemed pretty calm at the race start. I honestly think you will find your next 1/2 to be less of a challenge but not easy.
2017-04-24 3:28 PM

That is a pretty long and scary race. How it was?

You can also text through kik so you can share your experience.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountains to Main Street - I'm in Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Paris Mountain Tri

Started by drsues
Views: 952 Posts: 2

2011-12-20 8:53 PM pschriver

Paris Mountain International Triathlon - RESCHEDULED : Official Thread

Started by pschriver
Views: 1912 Posts: 4

2011-08-11 7:34 PM pschriver

Paris Mountain Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by jsiegs
Views: 6554 Posts: 19

2010-04-19 11:27 AM retarmyeng06

Paris Mountain Triathlon

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 1784 Posts: 5

2009-12-28 6:36 PM TROGDOR

Paris mountain ride

Started by pschriver
Views: 1974 Posts: 6

2010-02-24 8:18 PM ratkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2014
author : sahm3k
comments : 4
As I entered the transition area, I got body marked. It was, for me, pretty intense. It made it so real...I was doing this! A triathlon!

date : January 28, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Of the many ironies inherent to youth participation in multisport, the fact that it’s tougher for them than it is for adults might be the most suggestive.
date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.