2003-12-14 11:27 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2003-12-15 5:21 AM
in reply to: #2505

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
Subject: RE: night running safety tips
Good article find Lara SD. I am always on the lookout for more reflective gear since a good bit of my run time is after dark.(Even though this winter I haven't been out much after dark.) Besides reflective gear I use a flashing red LED on my back and a 5 LED headband light. When I see a car I turn the light on.(I have found at times it works for dogs at night also, which is a very scary thing.) Most of the time I run by myself, which in a very rural area (sometimes not a house for over a mile) probably isn't too good of an idea. One other thing that I use is a RoadID (RoadID.com I think) which has my name, address, emergency contact and alergy information on it. I think this is a great thing for people like me that train nearly all the times by themselves.
2003-12-15 8:59 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Where did you get the LED for back and headband? Is there something for back of hat too? I run mostly down a long road on an extra wide sidewalk, but there's a number of intersections to cross. I have also been close to being hit by an old woman on a bicycle who couldn't see my white hat and shirt. Maybe LED's would help.
2003-12-15 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2527

Veteran
The back light I got at Meijers (a local department store similar to Walmart) for around $5 (2" diameter). It has one flashing LED surrounded by plastic reflector material. It uses two ~1cm diameter watch style batteries. I had a back LED that I used to use that had 5 leds and different flashing programs but was powered by 2 AA batteries. This was a little heavier and bigger (~2"x3.5") and really designed for bikes.

The headlight I got on ebay for about $5 but it came from China so I paid $10 in shipping. It is either off, on or flashing and has 5 white LEDs. The headband isn't the most comfortable because there is a plastic base where the lamp attached. This light is comperable to a Pezyl but much cheaper. This light is powered by 3 AAA batteries.

2003-12-15 10:40 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks for the info. I will have to look for them.
2003-12-17 6:51 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
How about the bike. It's still a little dark at 6am here. What is recommended for the bike (I'm not installing a fixed light). Thanks.

2003-12-17 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2617

Veteran
That is a great question that I haven't researched much yet. I know that with the bike you have to have something much brighter because: 1) You are traveling faster so you have to have a beam that travels further and 2) You don't have as many options to avoid cars(that is without causing damage to yourself or your bike). I think I read one review of a bike lighting system about a recommended minimum wattage (light output and not how much power you generate on your bike) but I don't remember the number. I know that they make systems for moutain bikers which should have plenty of light for road bikes. I think most of the better(higher wattage, longer battery burn time, durability and shorter battery recharge time) are pretty expensive ($100-$300). The reason I started looking was because I was thinking of starting to commute partially on my bike. My full commute is about 50 min in a car, so it would take some time to build up to that. Let me know if you find out anything else about bike lighting.

Craig
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » night running safety tips Rss Feed