Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-01-06 2:15 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Early morning workouts
Use to have a tough time waking up. Then I got a dawn simulator light; changed my life! (on most days )

http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/HF3470_60/wake-up-light

2016-01-06 2:51 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Katy, Texas
For those of you that just roll out of bed and workout....umm....I'm just going to say it...don't you have issues with needing to go to the bathroom once the system starts going? I would never think of starting a workout until all biological activities are taken care of, and for that coffee is a necessity. Is that not an issue for you? I'd poop my tri shorts daily...

(Tetrathon%20Men.png)

Attachments
----------------
Tetrathon%20Men.png (110KB - 11 downloads)
2016-01-06 3:03 PM

My training partner (my dog) recently had knee surgery and was diagnosed with hip dysplasia. Due to this my morning routine has changed for the better and worse. I used to get up and head out the door (or get on the trainer) in minutes. I now get up even earlier to take him on a 20-30 minute walk before my workout. However, this has allowed me to eat a little something (usually the taffy like powerbars) before the walk and also get any biological issues settled before my workout. Similar to the others who get up 30 minutes before working out, this wakes me up and gets me warmed up before doing whatever it is that's on the schedule for the day.
2016-01-07 9:22 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by 3mar

For those of you that just roll out of bed and workout....umm....I'm just going to say it...don't you have issues with needing to go to the bathroom once the system starts going? I would never think of starting a workout until all biological activities are taken care of, and for that coffee is a necessity. Is that not an issue for you? I'd poop my tri shorts daily...

Short answer - yes. However, it's typically only an issue on runs (not biking), and only if the run is longer than 3-4 miles. As such, my typical 4+ mile routes near my house include passes by several city parks and playgrounds with facilities available Once I get into the 7+ mile range, I can do loops which go by plenty of early-morning or 24/7 businesses (Waffle House, gas stations, Hardee's, etc.). The added benefit there is that all those smells sure make you want to get home and get some grub!
2016-01-07 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by 3mar

It usually hits me before I leave the house if I have to go.

I only been hit a couple of times during runs with the sudden digestive impact. I keep my routes in 3-5 mile loops of the YMCA. Usually can make it back without issue. There were a couple of times that I had to take a break inside the woods. One of my head wraps is still in the woods.
2016-01-07 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by 3mar For those of you that just roll out of bed and workout....umm....I'm just going to say it...don't you have issues with needing to go to the bathroom once the system starts going? I would never think of starting a workout until all biological activities are taken care of, and for that coffee is a necessity. Is that not an issue for you? I'd poop my tri shorts daily...

That's why I give myself 30-45 minutes in the morning before I head out.  I'll have a cup of coffee as soon as I get up and then usually "take care of business" just before I leave.  Not so much of an issue on swim mornings since I can use the facilities at the poll if needed.

Mark

2016-01-07 10:32 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by 3mar For those of you that just roll out of bed and workout....umm....I'm just going to say it...don't you have issues with needing to go to the bathroom once the system starts going? I would never think of starting a workout until all biological activities are taken care of, and for that coffee is a necessity. Is that not an issue for you? I'd poop my tri shorts daily...

I get up, grab the tablet, and head to the throne room.  I read the morning headlines, do my business, and then get ready to work out.  I'm usually out the door within 20 minutes of the alarm going off.

2016-01-07 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
I never have coffee prior to early morning workouts. I have a chocolate gel with caffeine prior to working out.

Swim days- up at 4:20 am, 50 minute drive to the pool, swim, over to work and one cup of coffee with breakfast.
Bike days- up at 7:00 am or so, out the door 15-20 minutes after waking up, one cup of coffee with breakfast.

I don't run in the morning so nothing for me to report on that front.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early morning workouts Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Nutritional strategies for early morning workouts

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 672 Posts: 1

2009-04-24 12:57 PM Birkierunner

Early Morning workout and eating

Started by excited2tri
Views: 896 Posts: 16

2007-03-28 8:22 AM jcdenton2000

early morning workouts Pages: 1 2

Started by ewre78
Views: 2345 Posts: 28

2006-08-26 8:22 AM ewre78

Nutrition for Early Morning Workouts

Started by jschmitchicago
Views: 1050 Posts: 15

2006-05-31 12:33 PM mcole158

Early morning workouts and breakfast

Started by COgirl
Views: 1616 Posts: 21

2004-04-01 1:47 AM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : September 3, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.
date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
I have been able to swim 200-300 yards without stopping for the past couple of weeks, but this morning I couldn’t swim more than 50. Could not eating make a big differance?

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.