General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra wetsuit question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-22 1:08 PM

User image

Subject: Xterra wetsuit question
I'm seriously considering getting the Xterra Vector Pro wetsuit in the next few days (have a HIM in October), and I'd like to get opinions on size. I'm 5'4" and currently ~205 lbs, which puts me into the Large wetsuit, per xterra's size chart (http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/pages/size-guide). However, since the Medium Large size ends at 199 lbs, I'm thinking I should get that because I should lose some weight before October and wouldn't want a suit that's too big. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on what I should do size-wise? Even if I don't lose the weight, would the Medium Large size still work for me?

2016-03-22 2:38 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Xterra wetsuit question

I'm 5'-7" with a 46" chest and 29" inseam.  I was right around 200 when I bought my Xterra suit.  

I went with a XL because of my large torso and it fits me well.  I was a little worried about the sleeves and legs being too long, and thought about trimming the legs a bit, but they've worked out OK.

It was a little challenging to zip it up on my own at first, but after a few times you kind of figure out the right way to squirm or wiggle to get it zipped (of course it is always nice to have someone else to help out).  

It's not binding at all as long as you have the legs and shoulders pulled all the way up into position.

I should also mention that living in FL, I haven't needed to wear it in any races.  I mostly use it for off-season OW training, so getting it on or off quickly really isn't an issue for me.

Mark

2016-03-22 2:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Other than to get used to swimming in it, is there a reason you need to purchase right away? Over the summertime you may be able to find OWS clinics that have wetsuit trials where you could get a better idea for the fit, plus you will be that much closer to your race weight.

I ordered an XTerra suit and the sizing chart worked out for me (6'3" and 225# at the time).

Edited to add: Saw in your profile that you are from Missouri. If you are in the St. Louis area then Big Shark does have OWS out in New Town (St. Charles) in the May-June timeframe. You can rent a wetsuit there for like $10 and find one that you like and they will credit the rental towards your purchase, so that may be an option.

Edited by CycloneVM 2016-03-22 3:00 PM
2016-03-22 3:08 PM
in reply to: #5173310

User image

The main reasons for purchasing right away are to get used to swimming in it and to make sure I can take advantage of the BT discount. I'm not anticipating that going away, but knowing my luck I'll wait and then miss out.

Unfortunately, I'm on the Kansas City side of Missouri, so the St. Louis area OWS won't work for me. I have rented two wetsuits for races in the past (from wwww.triwetsuitrental.com) and from those experiences I know I need time to get used to swimming in it. My two wetsuit races were by far my worst swims. My sprint swim took between 18 and 19 minutes because I wasn't used to the wetsuit. When I swam a sprint without a wetsuit, I finished at almost 11 minutes even. I'll admit some of that decrease was due to being better trained, but I simply can't believe it was all because of being better trained. Of course, the flip-side of that is that my poor swim wasn't all due to the wetsuit, but I still want plenty of time to train in it before my HIM.
2016-03-22 10:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
How broad chested are you?

I was on the borderline between a medium and a medium-large, but because my chest is broader than average, they recommended erring to the side of going slightly larger, so that's what I did.

I am quite pleased with the medium-large ( I am 5'11" and 175 ish )

Given your height/weight and profile picture I would say you look quite broad, and would err to the side of the large.

Worst case scenario, they have a fantastic exchange policy, just send it back to them and they will send you a different size free of charge.

I also found the customer service person I spoke with did a fantastic job at recommending which size I should get after asking me a few questions.

Good luck!

Edited by dfquigley 2016-03-22 10:19 PM
2016-03-23 6:51 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
Originally posted by dfquigley

I also found the customer service person I spoke with did a fantastic job at recommending which size I should get after asking me a few questions.

^^This. Call Xterra and talk with them about sizing. They are very good to work with.

2016-03-23 7:47 AM
in reply to: #5173310

User image

Perfect. I will call and ask before buying. I decided to wait until around May to buy. One lake in the area says they open their swim beaches on May 1st, but all the others are Memorial Day weekend. I figure if I wait until late April/early May I'll have time to get to the lake at least once or twice with it within their 30 day size exchange window.

Thanks for all the input, everyone!
2016-03-23 1:24 PM
in reply to: #5173436

User image

What happens if you don't lose the weight? Will the wetsuit still fit? Their sizing chart is spot on (I've bought several wetsuits from xterra) I would think it would be best to buy what currently fits.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra wetsuit question Rss Feed