Eugene Marathon
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 46m 52s
Overall Rank = 1321/1667
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 104/116
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:45 for a 7:00 AM start. Breakfast of: blueberry bagel with strawberry jam, banana, 1/2 cup oatmeal with brown sugar, 2 waffles with strawberry jam. Started on orange gatorade and black coffee.
Event warmup:

None. I'm so slow a warm up seems pointless.
Run
  • 4h 46m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out at what I felt was a very easy pace. HR was hanging around 125, and I felt very good. The plan was take the first 4 miles very easy and slowly start picking up the pace. Based on my splits I was managing this fairly well, as my second 5 k was slightly faster than the first.

My fuel and hydration plan was really pretty simple. I was aiming for a gel every 40 minutes, and at 10 minute miles this put me at an aid station roughly every 2 miles. So, gatorade at the first station, gel and water at the second. I planned to alternate this way the entire race. The course only offered gels at miles 9 and 17, so i packed 4 of my own by safety pinning them to the band of my shorts. I also took a half a banana at the two stations that offered bananas.

I slowed slightly between 10k and the halfway point, but not significantly. I was able to stay pretty strong through mile 18 before I started feeling the fade happening. My left knee started to bother me a bit around this point as well.

By mile 20 I was bargaining with myself. Run 10 minutes, and reward myself with 2 minutes of walking. A few small hills forced me to walk a bit more often though. I spent a fair amount of time walking though the last 10k.

This was not a fuel issue so much as it was a fitness issue. My legs were just giving up.
What would you do differently?:

My fuel plan was pretty much spot on I think. I have no plans to change this in the future.
Post race
Warm down:

I shuffled my way across the finish line and through the que to medals, and finisher bags full of food. Met up with my beautiful wife and layed down with my feet up for a few. I made my way over and got ice on both knees before heading over for pancakes, and beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training was nowhere near sufficient to meet my goals. I missed a full 10 days due to knee pain, and life just seemed to happen a lot on weekends causing me to miss many long runs, including both of my 20 milers. The longest I ran was 16 miles.

Given my limited training I was happy to make it to the finish, and slightly beat my previously even more aweful PR.

Event comments:

Eugene calls itself Track Town, USA and I think this community takes a lot of pride in putting on world class running events. I have done 2 Ironman events, as well as Escape From Alcatraz and the organization of this event rivals those.

If you're looking for a world class marathon on a beautiful course head to Eugene.

Last updated: 2016-02-07 12:00 AM
Running
04:46:52 | 26.2 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 104/116
Overall: 116/1667
Performance: Below average
5k 31:04 10k 1:01:41 half 2:14:02 20 mile 3:27:16
Course: Pretty much flat. There were a fill small hills the first 7 miles or so.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-05-05 10:05 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Eugene Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eugene Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Eugene Marathon

Started by LoriItri
Views: 1090 Posts: 1

2008-05-09 6:26 PM LoriItri

Eugene Marathon

Started by dcossey
Views: 1219 Posts: 3

2008-05-05 7:16 AM BellinghamSpence

Eugene Marathon

Started by IRONVIKING
Views: 1519 Posts: 6

2008-05-05 8:14 AM PTinVA

Eugene Marathon

Started by Porchboy
Views: 1054 Posts: 1

2007-05-12 10:49 AM Porchboy

Eugene Marathon

Started by teechur
Views: 1682 Posts: 1

2007-05-01 9:48 AM teechur
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"