BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2017-04-20 12:52 PM
in reply to: flyor64

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Subject: RE: Training Update
We've definitely had spring weather hitting us in Nebraska. Lots of wind and wild temperature swings. I've started getting some biking in outside which is nice. Our traffic around here is bad - not because of a lot of it but because the drivers are not accustomed to seeing bikes on the roads. I've spent most of my outdoor rides on my Surley Pugsley fatbike, staying off the main roads and cruising the gravel roads instead. It's not the same as the tri-bike but its riding and its not on a trainer. I'm about to the point where I can't stand the sight of the bike trainer any longer. On the bright side, I am getting my heart rate higher on the fat bike when I'm pedaling all 30 pounds of it up the hills.

Steve

2017-04-26 5:20 AM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
"Welcome to Norway" update On Sunday night, we went to sleep with it snowing "lightly" outside...it ended up building to a storm that lasted the better part of 36 hours! All told, we had almost 2 ft of snow fall where I live...at the end of April! Wet, heavy spring snow. Monday morning was traffic chaos as over half the cars on the road had switched over to summer tires already. It also put a pretty big damper on outside training.

It's all almost gone now, and the paths and roads are clear. So I was able to get back out on the road yesterday...

2017-05-02 5:20 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
The weather has been fantastic here of late 16C (ca 58F) yesterday and sun. Supposed to be 20C here by the end of the week

Did my first ever brick yesterday. 25K ride followed immediately by a 5K run. I did not want to go too hard on either for the first time.

I must admit my legs felt heavy on the first 500m of the run, but it got better, and I finished the run strong. I gave me a bit of a convidence boost. I've done some "doubles" before with swim and ride on a Sunday, but never as a brik. I think that will be my next brick
2017-05-02 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Our weather has been hit and miss. This weekend the long run and ride were inside, due to snow, rain and 30+ mph winds. Now that I'm in the office, the weather is great and temps are perfect for running outside. It figures. I still haven't signed up for IM Boulder 70.3. I'm at the point where a 10K running distance isn't difficult, and the rides are coming together. I haven't hit the pool yet. Trying to decide if I should just keep building fitness back or do the race knowing it will be less than stellar. I also know I have 3 months left to train, but I know that also means I only have 3 months left. Still need to drop more body weight, but down 40 pounds from when I started. The price increase also kicks in in a couple of days.

I hope everyone's training is going well.

Steve
2017-05-09 6:50 AM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Subject: RE: Swimming
Got a question (or two) about the swim...and thoughts/observations.

I've now been swimming 2 times a week (more or less) since January. Once on my own and once on Wednesdays with the Masters group of our local swim club. I joined them based on input and everything I've read here.

I've enjoyed swimming with the group for social reasons and it helps to motivate me to go every week, but I dont' really "learn" anything from them. They most do their thing and I do mine. They do offer encouragement. Very rarely, the coach of the fast kids, who swim next to us, comes over and I'll get a tip or two. But that's about it. I'll keep with them simply because I need to swim as much as possible before my two races...

Which leads to my questions, in no particular order:

1- My 100m splits are getting faster, but I'm not going to "win any races". I'd say I'll be lucky if I can hold 2:00/100 for the race. That's my goal, based on my swimming so far, but based on everything I've read, that's really slow. So, should I be concerned?

2- I've done lots and lots and lots of intervals, 25s, 50s, 100, 150s, and some occasional 200s. But when I try to go "long" I gas out, and my technique goes to crap. I'm REALLY concerned about swimming non-stop for 1900m based on my dismal results so far. Any thoughts? Tips? Ideas?

3- Breast stroke. I've never really learned it. But I see alot of folks can use that as their "safety" stroke. I watch people in the pool go "all day" slow and steady on breast stroke. They never appear to be short of breath. My "safety" stroke was planned to be side-stroke, which I've used for years. But thoughts about sighting and orientation in open water, and the fact that I seam to be struggling a little with my freestyle stroke, should I use up some some my limited swim time to learn and lock-in the breast stroke?

4- This summer I'll be home visiting family and will have a real opportunity to get some private lessons from a swim coach. I could probably get 4-5 lessons while home. I'm planning to do this, cuz I'm actually a bit stressed about the swim now that I've tried a couple "long" swims that end up being 100s and 200s. See #2. So, will 4-5 lessons about one month before my first race help??

2017-05-14 8:25 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Subject: Challenge Norway cancelled :(
So my big goal of the year..to complete a HIM took a bit of hit last week when the race organizers of the race I was entered in announced it being cancelled. Announced on Facebook with no reason given. Pretty cheesy.

I have found a couple other tris that I could do but none are HIM distance. An oly or a sprint.

Or, I may just do the oly in July I'm signed up for then focus on the Oslo marathon in mid September. I'd love to qualify for Boston, but I need a 3:25 (or faster) for my AG just to enter the lottery for start number!

On a positive note, I had a great swim today. Did a bunch of interval work and then slowed it way down and was able to go long for the first time! did 1000m in 24:14. Not winning anything with that pace, but man it felt good to just swim 20 laps without gassing out! Big confidence boost

2017-05-16 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Subject: RE: Challenge Norway cancelled :(
Sorry to hear that the race was cancelled. At least you weren't waiting in line when the race director decided to cancel it (I had that happen at a marathon when I was standing in line at 4:30 with a few thousand other runners waiting for a bus that never appeared.) Keep up the training base and look for a replacement "A" race.

Have a great summer as well.

Steve
2017-06-13 6:54 AM
in reply to: TriathlonnDad

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Subject: Anyone heard from Jim?
He hasn't posted here in a while. Hope all is well!
2017-07-21 1:37 PM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Subject: Tomorrow's the big day!
My first tri is tomorrow. It's an oly, which is helping me with the nerves. Though I'm not too keen for the swim. I've done the mileage in the pool, but was only able to get 3 OWSs in, and I never got truly comfortable with them. Mostly the cold water on my face. Hate it. The RO did say the water is quite warm for Norway so that may help...plus it's a water start so I'll be out there for a bit to warm up. That's the plan.

I'll let y'all know how it goes...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22

Started by Dominion
Views: 27692 Posts: 534

2017-12-27 3:42 PM Dominion

More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102

Started by cdban66
Views: 51858 Posts: 2530

2017-09-01 11:04 AM cdban66

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38365 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31