Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-09-11 3:45 PM
in reply to: #536815

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Is beer a recovery drink.
Daremo - 2006-09-11 4:20 PM
It says right on the Draught can ...... serve well chilled ......... and that is how I love it!!!

Ah, yes, the age-old debate on the definition of "chilled".....

I'm going to give what I've heard to be the answer here. Way back when, chilled was considered what is now commonly called "cellar temperature". Generally, that temp was around 48-52 degrees Farenheit. When the mega brewers started mass producing beer, the began the idea of serving it ice-cold to actually eliminate a level of the flavor, thus making it easily palatable for a wider market. Frosted mugs do the same thing, by the way.

Personally, enjoy your brew how you see fit. Just be aware that I like mine my way, and will (politely) let you know what that way is. I do not want to see my Guinness served to me in a plastic cup. Ever. Period, end of story.

2006-09-11 5:23 PM
in reply to: #536815

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
Daremo - 2006-09-11 3:20 PM

Kevin_MS - 2006-09-11 1:04 PM

Daremo - 2006-09-11 9:28 AM

Realistic answer .... no, there is not that much carbo. in them, especially compared to a simple energy drink like Gatorade.

Beer drinker's answer ..... yes, of course! Especially a nice frosty Guinness!

Agreed that frosty and Guinness should never be used in conjunction with each other. General rule of thumb is that the darker the beer, the warmer it is served.

As for the double chocolate stout, you can't be beat there...Young's makes the best, but as another hobby, I am a homebrewer as well. I have made a decent representation, but the real deal is still the best.

Kevin

Oh, I'm not getting on you for liking it well chilled. However, I do think you miss some of the flavors of the beer when it is really cold. Try drinking one that is about 48-52 (like the previous poster said) and then one that is well chilled (like 32 or so). See which one really tastes better.

Agreed that the glass makes all the difference as well. Just like wine, beer needs to be served in the correct glass. Makes all the difference...Try a guinness in a tulip shaped legal pint glass at about 48 and tell me what you think...

On topic, there aren't as many carbs as you think in beer, even the "heavy" ones. But, I have beer on tap at the house, and usually pull one off after a long ride on the way into the shower...

Kevin
It says right on the Draught can ...... serve well chilled ......... and that is how I love it!!!
2006-09-11 7:08 PM
in reply to: #535810

User image

Veteran
Lansdale
if you play rugby its the ONLY recovery drink, lol.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is beer a recovery drink. Rss Feed  

of 2