General Discussion Race Reports! » Pewaukee Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pewaukee Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
United States
Positively Pewaukee and Great Lakes Multisport
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 6s
Overall Rank = 100/148
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at Steve's (had gone boating Saturday) and had spaghetti and meat sauce with cheese bread and salad for dinner. Got home from Pewaukee Lake late so didn't eat till about 7:30. After cleaning up and getting kids set up (they were swimming in the pool) and taking a shower, got to bed around 10:30. Slept great until 1:17, then intermittent sleep (David was restless and moving a lot) until alarm at 4. Ate a Kashi almond flax bar w creamy skippy PB and a banana w PB and dannon light yogurt for breakfast. Small bathroom result. Had organized bag last night so was ready to go (bikes already in the van). Left house at 4:45 and arrived at 5, got the last spot in the public lot next to the abandoned gas station (Steve parked at the park).
Event warmup:

Open rack so got a spot near the run/bike out in the middle, I was on the right on the end and David on the left end. Craig a few rows up. Steve came in and went next to me. Short race so just put water in the small tank and had the gel bottle filled w 5oz root beer (forgot to bring Coke) so no caffeine. Had a non-caffeinated Hammer gel at 5:45. Had caffeinated Gu (salted caramel) in bento box for bike. At 6:00 they let us into the lake to warm up, peed, had to get out at 6:10. Wore full wetsuit, water felt warm but was very weedy. David lined up w Craig and the Elites as he was going to go for a fast swim time, I went in first third of the time trial start
Swim
  • 17m 41s
  • 880 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt good, relaxed. Forgot I needed to go hard
What would you do differently?:

Go harder, was in distance mode
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Was able to get cap, goggles and arms out of wetsuit before getting to bike. Sat down and had a hard time getting left leg out over the large disposable timing chip. Dried feet before putting on socks, got helmet and glasses on, then blew nose into towel before heading out.

Not wearing a wetsuit on such a short swim would save time, but do it to practice getting it off which I clearly needed. Maybe take the un-chipped leg out while running so easier to pull out the chipped leg last? Clipping shoes to bike would help too but don't have the right shoes for that...
Bike
  • 1h 21m
  • 21.7 miles
  • 16.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Was sweating a fair amount but compensated well with water. Wasn't sure how much nutrition I needed to take in since such a short race.

Coulda gone harder instead of holding an easy pace. Didn't know how my legs would do if went hard.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Jogged the bike in, racked it (Steve had his facing the other way now but I put my same direction--what are they gonna do at this point?), sat down, put on belt, took off helmet and put on visor. Took off bike shoes and put on running shoes. Felt pretty quick, legs felt good

Do it faster, prob don't need to sit down.
Run
  • 56m 29s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice flat course, was hard to tell who was international as so many sprinters out there. A bit easier on second loop. Was worried about not having enough nutrition but since it was still relatively cool (although I was sweating like crazy) I was OK. If it's any warmer will need to take in something next time

Coulda run faster, wasn't sure how to pace it and ended up doing a half marathon pace instead of 5k.
Post race
Warm down:

Ed and Marji were at the finish line, of course David and Steve were there too. Had a 'giant oatmeal cookie'. Went back to Steve's to shower and get the kids, then met Ed and Marji at the Machine Shed for an awesome brunch. Home to unpack/relax then take Drew to camp gray at 2:00.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just not knowing how to pace such a short race. Worried I would 'blow up' so holding back.

Event comments:

It's a good race/course. Luckily I didn't have any train issues but that is always something to consider for this one. Was disappointed at packet pickup that they didn't have any Women's Medium shirts nor did I get the extra one supporting the military that I bought for David--am hoping they will mail both of those to me. Also, David took first and I took 3rd in our age groups so we are supposed to get some sort of 'prize'--still awaiting that as of the 17th. Overall, the swim is weedy, bike is good (decent hills), and run nice and flat. Was better when Gloria ran it (awesome post-race buffet) but it's still good and I'll likely be back next year (fun weekend at Steve's).

Last updated: 2017-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:41 | 880 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/148
Performance: Average
Was easy to sight heading out, felt like I went pretty straight but felt pulled to the left. Only had a couple of people run into me. On 2nd leg was zig-zagging a bit, realized I needed to push harder since such a short swim. Sun right in eyes when breathing right was a bit annoying but could see the far buoy ok. When swimming in, couldn't make out the buildings I used to sight with in previous years as the trees had grown so big. Could see the buoys so just stayed left of those and kinda followed the people in. This leg went fast but was able to pee before getting out. Lots and lots of weeds swimming in--wish they would have taken the weed machine to that area for the race.
Suit: Full Vortex
Course: Counterclockwise Triangle, buoys to the right
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:00 | 21.7 miles | 16.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/7
Performance: Good
Was a little cool at first but once I got pedaling warmed up and felt great. Got passed by quite a few people in the beginning, then it leveled out and I passed a few. Started sipping water and root beer at mile 5, had the Gu at mile 10. Finished the Root beer when I crossed over Hwy 16. Wasn't sure how hard to go as such a short course. Hadn't ridden it before and sometimes hard to judge the hills so did a bit of grinding on a few of them in big gears but tried to shift down most of the time. Didn't really have to stand for any of the hills but did once in a while just to get off the seat.
Wind: Little
Course: Fairly hilly rolling course, nothing too major. Did a good job shifting down--could tell who the roadies were as they powered up the hills then rested on the downhill. That's when I passed people. The sprinters were a pain as they drifted left--passed 2 of them on the right. Was cool cuz I passed quite a few of them, including this buff young guy on an uphill. Powered it up the last few miles into town. Didn't brake on any hills, tried not to on corners.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:29 | 06.2 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Performance: Good
Legs felt good, no problems. Felt pretty relaxed. Wasn't sure what to do about nutrition so decided to do nothing. Stomach felt good and didn't want to stir it up with Gatorade. Had a Gu in my race belt but figured it wouldn't digest during the short time I was out there so just took water at the stops (skipped the first one that was just up the road from transition). 2 sips of water then dumped the rest on my head.
Course: Flat course, out-back, out-back w water at start and mile 1.5. Tried to keep track of my times for each leg but forgot so was delayed a few secs each time. Got 15:39:04 to end of road, 13:43:08 at turnaround, 12:42:26 end of road, then 14:23:51 to finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2017-07-17 12:28 PM

User image

New user

Waunakee, Wisconsin
Subject: Pewaukee Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pewaukee Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Coeur d'Alene Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by themissj1981
Views: 1261 Posts: 1

2016-08-16 1:59 PM themissj1981

Thousand Islands Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by SenatorClayDavis
Views: 1328 Posts: 2

2016-08-16 10:10 AM cmbell

West Plains WunderWoman Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by burner2
Views: 970 Posts: 1