General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2006-09-14 4:08 AM
in reply to: #538931

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Subject: RE: Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13
I'm awake! *blink* *blink* *yawn*

Morning all, just headed out for a run. John, if you read this anytime soon you better be on your way out or just getting back from your workout! *wink*

2006-09-14 4:16 AM
in reply to: #540286

User image

Master
Yoganerd - 2006-09-13 7:31 PM
 Have a great night everyone... as for me, my feet are killing me... takes a lot of "strength" to stand around in a booth all day, talking to people about our products...  One more day to go!

Have fun being the booth babe for another day!
2006-09-14 4:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
good morning tbz.. how was the run¿?¿?
2006-09-14 5:54 AM

Regular
Good morning all. My first early morning session happened, mostly. I managed to do the bike portion, but decided to go back this afternoon for the strength and some running. Can you say obsessed?
2006-09-14 6:02 AM

Regular
Since this is a weight loss support group, anyone want to discuss eating plans or anything of that sort? As a recreational eater, make that former, I know my daily menu could use some tweaking. I have merely tried to cut down on portion sizes, reduce beer to almost zero, eliminate desserts and snacking and cut back on fat. Of course now that I have written that down, I have depressed myself.
2006-09-14 6:35 AM

User image

Champion
MA

First day of my new job....I did enjoy the last 2 months off training/being home with kids.

What we are eat...good idea:

Breakfast:
2 eggs, 3 pcs canadian bacon, wheat berry bread (no flour/sugar), w/ cashew/mac. nut butter
Snacks bring to work: Banana, apple, grapes, nut mix from trader Joes
Lunch: spinach salad, fresh tomatos, little brown rice with pepper steak on it

Dinner I have no clue haven't gotten that far yet.

Workout...last of 2006 season tonight...30' ride/15' run as I have my last tri Saturday.

What are you guys eating? 

2006-09-14 6:38 AM
in reply to: #540595

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

jph35609 - 2006-09-14 1:02 PM Since this is a weight loss support group, anyone want to discuss eating plans or anything of that sort? As a recreational eater, make that former, I know my daily menu could use some tweaking. I have merely tried to cut down on portion sizes, reduce beer to almost zero, eliminate desserts and snacking and cut back on fat. Of course now that I have written that down, I have depressed myself.
yeah that's a good idea... nutrition is my biggest problem... i mean i lose weight, but i think i could do better... i pretty much did the same you did, plus i'm counting weightwatchers points...

i haven't been to a weightwatchers meeting in like 7 weeks and reading more about nutrition, getting more into the sports and all that really made me think if i want to go back or not... i do my own kind of thing with the points (had to cut some because from 21 allowed points i started gaining weight even though i made good food choices) but i kinda need the group thing..  

2006-09-14 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Good Morning, everyone!

<Okay, guten nachmittag to Kathie!>

It looks as if the early risers have already put in their time, or are lacing up their shoes to begin working out.

Michelle - LOL on booth babe duties!

John - yes, I agree that it would be great to discuss eating plans, strategies, etc. We have many people in our group who have successfully lost a bunch of weight. Others of us (myself included), have been successful with losing weight, only to "successfully" gain some of it back - need to learn to avoid that happening again.

2006-09-14 6:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

ok what i eat...

breakfast: 1 cup cereals (120cals/cup) with yoghurt instead of milk (milk makes me sick) 90cals

lunch: 1 thin slice of whole wheat bread with cream cheese (lowfat) and a thin slice of turkey breast

dinner? no clue.. probably something with green asparagus since i still have that in the house 

2006-09-14 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

One of the best "training" investments that I made earlier this year was to have my resting metabolic rate measured... any fewer calories on a daily basis, and that cuts into lean mass.  I was thrilled to find out that it is 1550... 

This has helped me to set the bar for daily caloric intake... However, knowing what I should take in, versus what I should actually take in is a different matter.

2006-09-14 6:50 AM
in reply to: #540617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
Yoganerd - 2006-09-14 1:46 PM

One of the best "training" investments that I made earlier this year was to have my resting metabolic rate measured... any fewer calories on a daily basis, and that cuts into lean mass. I was thrilled to find out that it is 1550...

This has helped me to set the bar for daily caloric intake... However, knowing what I should take in, versus what I should actually take in is a different matter.

how did you get that measured? 

2006-09-14 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

The fitness club (LTF) offers this as one of their services.

To measure your resting metabolic rate, they strap a mask to your face (looks like something that either a dominatrix would make you wear, or at least something from the dark ages <LOL>, and they hook you up to a machine that measures several things, one of which is CO2.  You are actually told to relax, meditate, etc. for approximately 20 minutes.  Once the readings have stabilized, you get a pretty accurate reading. 

Kathie, Considering how little you are eating, I just wonder if you are eating enough??  This would be a good way to find out if you are starving yourself.

The second test that can be done (while wearing the same mask, with larger breathing tubes) and running on a treadmill (or on a stationary bike).  This pinpoints your anerobic threshold, as well as your various zones for heartrate training and, how many calories you burn in each zone, broken up into fat and sugar... Determining AT was very interesting... based on my age I would have been lead to believe that it was 137 (based on the 180-age)... however, it is actually 46 beats higher.

Both tests were EXTREMELY enlightening.!

2006-09-14 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

yeah i should really do something like that... according to my cals i'm starving myself - and to answer that question that's been here before.. yeah i measure everything i eat so i know i write down the right amount of calories... but i don't feel like i'm starving and i'm not losing weight like i'm starving..

when i was about 11-13 i was anorexic - THAT was starving... half an apple a day max... i was down to 85 pounds (at 5"4') back then... then i started eating like a normal person again and slowly started gaining that sh**load of weight... about 22lbs a year...

about 4 yrs ago i went to see a doctor because of my weight.. she was a doc especially for ppl who want to lose weight... i ate exactly what she told me to but i gained weight instead of losing some... maybe it's my destiny to kinda starve my body...??

this week i've been really bad with eating... ate about 1000 - 1100 cals a day... but it helped me with running and swimming... i doubt that i've lost weight though... saturday i'll know... i'm already scared of the scale... what if i gained some?? gosh i'm pretty messed up in my head..  

2006-09-14 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Kathie,
Perhaps because of your past experiences, you do have a really low resting metabolic rate. 
I do not know if you have the opportunity to seek out a trainer or a nutritionist who can help you to determine how much and when you should be eating, as well as your training schedule, to make sure that what you are doing works for you, and just you.

I do not have enough experience on this topic to offer much advice, other than that there are qualified people who can provide assistance on proper nutrition, and strategies for increasing your metabolic rate.

2006-09-14 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

i've been looking into that a lot lately... the problem is: there are like no presonal trainers in my area and if they are they have no clue what they're doing... wouldn't work for me cuz they're more the "grandma wants to drop 10 pounds and i'll go to the gym with her" kind of trainers...

then there are others who have one plan that has to suit everybody... even this website offers more than those guys and they are soooooooo expensive...

same with nutrition... there are some nutritionists out there, but most of them are some sort of hippies telling you to go vegan or the same thing like with the trainers: one thing has to suit everybody.... they don't get that i'm DIFFERENT!! not even my doctor gets that point...

they think i'm cheating on the eating bla bla bla cuz it's worked for EVERYBODY so far... well geez sorry... at least in one way i'm special lol 

2006-09-14 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Kathie, here in the U.S. a "registered dietician" is a medical professional; a "nutritionist" could be qualified or not, as there are few standards. I would try looking through your insurance; mine covered one session with a R.D., which helped a lot.

For meal plans, my Monday and Tuesday are what I ate. My yesterday didn't go as well as planned; I had a fasting cholesterol test, so I didn't start eating until 11. An early breakfast is KEY for me. I generally aim for 2+ fruits, 5+ veggies, veggie protein, animal protein, a treat, and minimal "white" carbs. I'm putting in my planned Thursday as well. I fsomeone want sto log their current food, I would be happy to suggest a few tweaks.

2006-09-14 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

hey summer...

yeah my insurance covers everything that involves doctors - that's the great thing about germany... but doctors never take me serious... they all think i'm just another fat girl telling them "i've tried everything but it doesn't work" bla bla bla

they've heard the same sh** too often and now they think everybody is like that... they think i cheat when i write down what i eat and what not... i'm frustrated 

2006-09-14 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Today's food isn't going to be pretty. I forgot our lunch, so we'll have to pick around at the food court. Husband's got a meeting this evening, so we're going out for dinner as well. This is not a normal eating day...

(No workout, still recovering from sickness... hoping to get back on the training horse next week!)

2006-09-14 8:18 AM

Regular
John:

My meal plan is rather simple at this point.

Breakfast:two servings of flavored oatmeal or three eggs and two slices of turkey bacon

Mid morning: One diet shake

Lunch: Prepackaged Southbeach lunch

Mid afternoon: One diet shake

Supper: Um, well this is where it tends to fall apart.

Post workout: one piece of fresh fruit.

The big deal with me is getting rid of the soft drinks. I don't like coffee so I was drinkng a large Mountain Dew each morning. If you look at my log, you'll see that I made no real improvemnt in weight during the last two weeks. I went off the pop Monday and I have seen some changes that may have resulted from dropping the pop. Right now the only thing I'm drinking is water, but I actually like water so its not a sacrifice for me.

Edited by ANOVA 2006-09-14 8:20 AM
2006-09-14 8:38 AM
in reply to: #540683

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
kathie - 2006-09-14 8:04 AM

hey summer...

yeah my insurance covers everything that involves doctors - that's the great thing about germany... but doctors never take me serious... they all think i'm just another fat girl telling them "i've tried everything but it doesn't work" bla bla bla

they've heard the same sh** too often and now they think everybody is like that... they think i cheat when i write down what i eat and what not... i'm frustrated 

Hmmmmm. I think that you just have to find the right match for you. I would suggest calling a center/hospital that has multiple doctors, being very upfront about your past issues, including hte eating disorders, and asking for a recommendation.
2006-09-14 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Okay about the food -- a little background: I don't cook and I'm a vegetarian. I tend to eat alot of the same things throughout the week which has the benefit of making my nutrition darn easy to track...

I drink over a gallon of water a day (not because I force myself, but because I like water). No sodas, just not into them. Occasionally I'll have a diet soda as a "dessert" because they taste so sweet to me.

Breakfast: Either a Slim Fast (so convenient) or a PBJ (and I measure my ingredients because it is easy to go overboard with both peanut butter and jelly)

Snack: If I only had a Slim Fast for breakfast I might do a snack size cottage cheese or yogurt for a mid-morning snack. A PBJ will last me until lunch.

Lunch: Frozen meal: organic, all natural, vegetarian frozen meal usually from Amy's Kitchen, Celentano, Cedarlane, or Green Guru. Wide variety of great food from Inidan (yum!), to Mexican, to Italian for these meals and they taste GREAT. I really like this method because they taste as good as restaurant food and I get lots of variety but everything is perfectly portioned controlled.

Afternoon Snack: Usually one of the following: 100 calorie microwave popcorn, fruit, or instant oatmeal.

Dinner: Frozen meal again same as lunch.

Evening snack: If I'm too low on calories I'll throw in some more fruit or another oatmeal.

My log shows I'm trending in the 1100 to 1200 calories per day calories. Proabably that's a bit low for me since I'm 5'10ish and working out this much, but so far I don't feel over-hungry and my workouts seems to be ok. I bet I'd perform at least a little better with more food, though, so I'm mentally working on that.

Edited by TBZ 2006-09-14 8:53 AM

2006-09-14 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
Well, I know what I should eat and how much I should eat, it’s just a matter of actually doing it. I have been trying to eat healthier and in the proper proportions, but to be honest, it’s been hard without a plan.

Like many people we lead a busy life. We all leave home before 7AM and don’t return until after 6PM. After that, there’s meals, homework, baths, and misc housework. My wife is a teacher, so after the kids are in bed, she usually has 1-2 hours of grading and planning to do for the next day. Unfortunately, that means that many nights, we end up meeting at local restaurants because we have nothing planned for dinner and no time to prepare it.

I am ready to try something different next week. I am currently planning all of our meals next week. I plan to buy groceries on Saturday and precook many of the meals for next week on Sunday. It’s not really a good weekend to start something new, because Amy teaches scuba all weekend and I’ll have the kids, but I don’t want to wait any longer. In the past, this has really worked for us and hopefully it will this time.
2006-09-14 9:10 AM

Regular
Sharon - The testing idea appeals to me. Thanks. It seems like that would be good info to have for a variety of reasons. And I like your positive spin on gaining weight back "successfully". A "glass is half full" attitude is much healthier overall. I tend to be more of a "the glass is the wrong size" type, but that is a whole other deal.

Kathie - I have experienced some of the same frustrations you have with not getting doctor's out of their preconceived notions and listening to what you are saying about you. Everyone is not the same. And I like the way you called these differences "special". My wife often calls me special, but I am never quite sure how she means it.

John - Soda is a problem for me also. I drink only diet soda, but I drink a LOT of it. Sometimes with Captain Morgans, which makes it okay, I think. But I do drink too much diet soda, often just out of habit. Too much salt and caffeine, plus whatever the artificial sweetener is actually doing. I am working on switching to water with some success.

Elizabeth - Thanks for the offer to evaluate meal plans. I need to develop one separate from my wife, which is no doubt going to involve prepared foods, but we are fortunate enough to have several markets here that offer healthy prepared meals. I will just have to find the ones that go to the trouble to calculate the nutritional info as well.

Michelle - Your routine seems like a good one and I love the idea of the prepared foods. My son is the only real cook in our house at the moment, but since I am in bed often when he is starting to cook after he gets home from the restaurant, it doesn't work out very well. I am sure we have comparable types of stores in Vermont to buy tasty prepared foods. I just need to find the ones that have gone to the trouble to calculate the nutritional information.

I know that I tend to get myself in routines of having virtually the same thing for breakfast for a while, and often even for lunch. I have never developed a good routine for snacks between meals, which I often feel the need for in the afternoon. And dinner is restaurant food at least 4 days a week between pizza and eating out. I know it is all about choices on an intellectual level, but when I open the pantry door or the refrigerator and see something, I feel like one of those pictures of a shark feeding that you see on Discovery Channel. You know, my eyes sort of roll up into my head and when i look again I have devoured whatever is in front of me. Hmmm....maybe not opening the refrigerator would be a good first step.
2006-09-14 9:12 AM
in reply to: #540757

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
BigBoy - 2006-09-14 8:52 AM

Well, I know what I should eat and how much I should eat, it’s just a matter of actually doing it. I have been trying to eat healthier and in the proper proportions, but to be honest, it’s been hard without a plan.

Like many people we lead a busy life. We all leave home before 7AM and don’t return until after 6PM. After that, there’s meals, homework, baths, and misc housework. My wife is a teacher, so after the kids are in bed, she usually has 1-2 hours of grading and planning to do for the next day. Unfortunately, that means that many nights, we end up meeting at local restaurants because we have nothing planned for dinner and no time to prepare it.

I am ready to try something different next week. I am currently planning all of our meals next week. I plan to buy groceries on Saturday and precook many of the meals for next week on Sunday. It’s not really a good weekend to start something new, because Amy teaches scuba all weekend and I’ll have the kids, but I don’t want to wait any longer. In the past, this has really worked for us and hopefully it will this time.

Once you can discipline yourself to do it, the "big batch" school of cooking is really awesome - your meals are all set, plus you save tons of money. I have about 10 pre-made lunch entrees in my freezer right now - some non-fried eggplant parm and some millet with bitter greens. My guess is they were all under $1 a serving. All I do is add a yogurt and some veggies, and I am set.
2006-09-14 9:16 AM

User image

Master

What I have been the most shocked at since trying to eat better is how WAY FAR OFF my idea of a proper portion size was. I was used to eating restaurant food (either in the establishment or as take out) and the portion sizes are HUGE! But I got used to thinking that those were NORMAL.

When I started eating more frozen meals I was like -- what, 9.5 oz is a DINNER? Are they KIDDING?

So I can only imagine how many calories I previously consumed when going out to eat at say, Carrabbas: part of a shared appetizer, salad with lots of dressing, crackers and/or tons of bread with olive oil, then the main dish -- huge all on it's own, then probably a shared dessert!!!! I bet one dinner there was more than all the calories I consume in a day now. No wonder I was gaining weight!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13 Rss Feed  

of 7