User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: New Tax Bill

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Left Brain

It's taxes.....if you have a good, successful life, you will always pay more from year to year......it's a good thing.   Yeah, I know, this is supposed to be a "tax cut".....you might as well get over that too if you plan on making some decent money.

My wife and I paid over $50,000 in taxes last year.  We feel blessed and fortunate every single day.

We're middle class.....that's life.

LB, i would be ok with a tax increase, i feel similarly.

HOWEVER.  It is supposed to be a tax cut.  It is a tax cut for corporations and rich people, again shifting the burden onto the middle class.  Then, they are going to make cuts to cover it.  Where will these cuts come from?  Medicare, Social Security, etc.  The things that the middle class and lower class depend on to LIVE. 

I'm curious how it actually pans out for you in real dollars Dave.  I'm sure there are places where your taxes will go up, such as the state income tax going away, but the doubling of the standard deduction is also huge and offsets most, if not all of that.

I will say thought that it really sucks when other people come after your hard earned money.  The feeling you're feeling is no different than the feeling anyone else gets when the tax man comes at you disproportionately.  At this rate, you'll be a fiscal conservative in no time.  

i dont take the standard deduction, i itemize my deductions

gotcha, I'll be honest in that I'm still kind of confused as to how it will pan out on my personal taxes.

Mine is fairly simple in that I itemize with normal deductions for house, medical, charity, and kids' college stuff.  But the majority of our income comes from passthrough income from my business.  They talked about reducing it to 25% for all passthrough income, but it's really confusing and I honestly have no idea what it will end up being.
However, that being said, my confidence in the 15% corp tax deduction having a monumental difference in the economy is still very high.  I honestly don't care if they leave my taxes exactly the same or even raise them if my income doubles or triples through my business.

I guess we both will be in a wait and see pattern to see how this all really pans out.

2017-12-08 8:39 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I have about $1000 in student loan interest i can no longer deduct.

I have somewhere around $2500 of property tax i can no longer deduct

I have 4.75% state tax that i can no longer deduct

There were no tax cuts for me in any way.  I'll probably lose around $2000+ in my tax return if this passes.

2017-12-08 8:46 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I have about $1000 in student loan interest i can no longer deduct.

I have somewhere around $2500 of property tax i can no longer deduct

I have 4.75% state tax that i can no longer deduct

There were no tax cuts for me in any way.  I'll probably lose around $2000+ in my tax return if this passes.

I wonder if it will be more advantageous for you to just switch over to the standard deduction.  It goes from $6000 to $12000.
So basically if the total of your itemized deductions is under the $12k then you'd be better off just taking the standard deduction.

If you use an accountant or even tax prep software it will automatically figure out which one is better for you.

2017-12-15 6:31 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Looks like the final bill has been released and it looks pretty good to me.

"Business owners who report business income on their personal tax returns would be able to deduct 20 percent of that income."

This would add ~$7000 directly to the bottom line per $100k of profit in my business.  That's a lot more than I was expecting.

2017-12-15 7:01 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

"Business owners who report business income on their personal tax returns would be able to deduct 20 percent of that income."

This would add ~$7000 directly to the bottom line per $100k of profit in my business.  That's a lot more than I was expecting.

Awesome! Drinks are on you!!
2017-12-15 7:17 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio

Awesome! Drinks are on you!!

haha

Here's a better break down of the old and the new:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-15/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-gop-tax-overhaul-bill

Dave, this looks promising for you because it looks like it still allows medical, interest, and other itemized deductions but just caps them.  The medical deductions even kick in lower.

2017-12-15 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Looks to me like this is principally for the donor class, but i'll likely get a little extra. I'll thank my grandchildren after they are born. They will be paying for this.
2017-12-15 8:06 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Not holding my breath and hoping for good things either.

And Dave, what they said. When investing money, time is your greatest ally, not how the market is trending. You're young, put as much in as you can stand, then add 3% more. Do this for your entire career and you'll retire wealthy. You'll also have the option to retire early if you invest consistently over time. Oh and debt, get rid of it as quickly as possible. Paying someone else interest kills your forward progress.
2017-12-15 8:22 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy Looks to me like this is principally for the donor class, but i'll likely get a little extra. I'll thank my grandchildren after they are born. They will be paying for this.

I know this is just a snapshot in time, but we just hit 4% GDP on the NY Fed Nowcast:
https://www.newyorkfed.org/research/policy/nowcast

The market and corporations are absolutely loving the tax plan and the de-regulation steps Trump is making.

Businesses are coming back (massive growth in manufacturing and construction jobs.  Every report has been adjusted up)
Companies are hiring people  (record low unemployment, record high job openings)
Stock market is soaring (Dow, S&P, and Nasdaq hitting record highs continuously all year)

Your grandchildren are not going to have anything to worry about other than knowing they'll have a job when they graduate college.

2017-12-15 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

Originally posted by Oysterboy Looks to me like this is principally for the donor class, but i'll likely get a little extra. I'll thank my grandchildren after they are born. They will be paying for this.

I know this is just a snapshot in time, but we just hit 4% GDP on the NY Fed Nowcast:

The market and corporations are absolutely loving the tax plan and the de-regulation steps Trump is making.

Businesses are coming back (massive growth in manufacturing and construction jobs.  Every report has been adjusted up)
Companies are hiring people  (record low unemployment, record high job openings)
Stock market is soaring (Dow, S&P, and Nasdaq hitting record highs continuously all year)

Your grandchildren are not going to have anything to worry about other than knowing they'll have a job when they graduate college.

...and this little fact: http://www.usdebtclock.org/#
2017-12-15 8:36 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy

The national debt is kind of a ruse anyways.  It's really just un-banked inflation on the balance sheet.  It will never get paid for and it doesn't really matter.
I mean Obama doubled it in 8 years fro $10T to $20T and what happened?

2017-12-15 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

The national debt is kind of a ruse anyways.  It's really just un-banked inflation on the balance sheet.  It will never get paid for and it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, Dick Cheney famously said debts don't matter. He never got anything wrong did he? That debt needs to be serviced and while it did go up under Obama's watch, interest rates were nearly zero the entire time. The Fed has already raised rates and will likely continue to do so to hedge inflation. At that point the service will start to cost more, and eat into how much is available for spending. Again, the bill is getting passed on to our grandkids, but what the hey, we got ours right?
2017-12-15 8:56 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Yeah, Dick Cheney famously said debts don't matter. He never got anything wrong did he? That debt needs to be serviced and while it did go up under Obama's watch, interest rates were nearly zero the entire time. The Fed has already raised rates and will likely continue to do so to hedge inflation. At that point the service will start to cost more, and eat into how much is available for spending. Again, the bill is getting passed on to our grandkids, but what the hey, we got ours right?

I do get a chuckle out of LIberals who go all chicken little about $1.5T in a tax cut that will at least potentially grow the economy and pay for itself, but whistle into the air with Quantitative Easing, Bail Outs, Cash for Clunkers, and ACA which all destroyed the economy and ran the debt up $10T.
I'm not putting all of it on Obama because we know the crap show he walked into, but we would have been far better off if they would have just let the economy correct itself rather than dump $10T into the economy to try and keep it from correcting.  I'll never understand that.

The debt also has nothing at all to do with revenue.  We have absolute record revenue right now and what's the debt doing?  Going up and up and up and up and up.  We could double taxes and it would keep going up and up and up and up because our idiot politicians cannot stop spending.

2017-12-16 12:01 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

It's taxes.....if you have a good, successful life, you will always pay more from year to year......it's a good thing.   Yeah, I know, this is supposed to be a "tax cut".....you might as well get over that too if you plan on making some decent money.

My wife and I paid over $50,000 in taxes last year.  We feel blessed and fortunate every single day.

We're middle class.....that's life.

LB, i would be ok with a tax increase, i feel similarly.

HOWEVER.  It is supposed to be a tax cut.  It is a tax cut for corporations and rich people, again shifting the burden onto the middle class.  Then, they are going to make cuts to cover it.  Where will these cuts come from?  Medicare, Social Security, etc.  The things that the middle class and lower class depend on to LIVE. 

I'm curious how it actually pans out for you in real dollars Dave.  I'm sure there are places where your taxes will go up, such as the state income tax going away, but the doubling of the standard deduction is also huge and offsets most, if not all of that.

I will say thought that it really sucks when other people come after your hard earned money.  The feeling you're feeling is no different than the feeling anyone else gets when the tax man comes at you disproportionately.  At this rate, you'll be a fiscal conservative in no time.  

i dont take the standard deduction, i itemize my deductions

You may not have to anymore........it depends.  Wait and see.

2017-12-16 12:20 AM

Master
, California

I do get a chuckle out of LIberals who go all chicken little about $1.5T in a tax cut that will at least potentially grow the economy and pay for itself, but whistle into the air with Quantitative Easing, Bail Outs, Cash for Clunkers, and ACA which all destroyed the economy and ran the debt up $10T.
I'm not putting all of it on Obama because we know the crap show he walked into, but we would have been far better off if they would have just let the economy correct itself rather than dump $10T into the economy to try and keep it from correcting.  I'll never understand that.

The debt also has nothing at all to do with revenue.  We have absolute record revenue right now and what's the debt doing?  Going up and up and up and up and up.  We could double taxes and it would keep going up and up and up and up because our idiot politicians cannot stop spending.

Destroyed the economy?  How?  Those things were a reaction to the crash in 2008, and most of those measures were to prevent the bottom from completely falling out.  In that respect it worked.  There hasn't been another big crash since then.  You would've seen the economy really destroyed if the big 3 auto makers were killed off.  Or big banks besides Lehman.  Or big insurance companies, etc.

I don't think most liberals are particularly triggered about the deficit spending, EXCEPT that 1) this tax revamp is a thinly veiled handout to rich people, and 2) the Republicans are supposedly the fiscal deficit hawks, so they're effing hypocrites when they use deficit spending for Grover Norquist's xmas present.  We're talking about the same republican congressmen that refused to raise the debt ceiling in 2011, and caused the USA to get its credit downgraded *supposedly because Obama would not work with them to lower the deficit*.

As for paying for itself: no one in the government even believes that, and certainly not the CBO.

2017-12-16 7:20 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by spudone

Destroyed the economy?  How?  Those things were a reaction to the crash in 2008, and most of those measures were to prevent the bottom from completely falling out.  In that respect it worked.  There hasn't been another big crash since then.  You would've seen the economy really destroyed if the big 3 auto makers were killed off.  Or big banks besides Lehman.  Or big insurance companies, etc.

I don't think most liberals are particularly triggered about the deficit spending, EXCEPT that 1) this tax revamp is a thinly veiled handout to rich people, and 2) the Republicans are supposedly the fiscal deficit hawks, so they're effing hypocrites when they use deficit spending for Grover Norquist's xmas present.  We're talking about the same republican congressmen that refused to raise the debt ceiling in 2011, and caused the USA to get its credit downgraded *supposedly because Obama would not work with them to lower the deficit*.

As for paying for itself: no one in the government even believes that, and certainly not the CBO.

+1 Spud. I highlighted a statement that I have heard before. This is an anti-Keynesian economic thinking. It is certainly debatable, but most economists would NOT have supported the government doing nothing in the late days of the Bush early Obama administration. We were in a tailspin and "let the economy correct itself" would very likely have been a disaster. We know this because the great depression started in Oct of 1929 thus the Hoover administration had this fiasco on their hands for over a full year before Roosevelt took over. During this year, Hoover continued the laissez-faire economic approach that his and previous administrations had adopted. Things just got worse and worse and didn't get better until a bolus of gov't spending occurred in 1930. There were plenty of governments that could not or did not stimulate their economies during that time and they recovered much much slower - many did not until after WWII. Again, the Keynesian approach is debatable but this is really well supported macroeconomic theory.

Look, with apologies to Dick Cheney, both conservatives and liberals are right: deficits and debt DO matter. Indeed, if interest rates are low and no one is clamoring for the payment of the loan principal then the sky is the limit. However, we all know that we are not going to have low interest rates for ever and if China has an economic disaster and starts needing to draw down on US treasuries we will be in deep do-do. Also, unless we are going to default on the good faith and credit of the USA, we need to pay the interest on those outstanding treasuries. At present this is 6.5% ( https://www.thebalance.com/interest-on-the-national-debt-4119024). When interest rates go up this percentage will go up and will really start to restrict what future generations have to spend on discretionary spending. These are undeniable facts.

The next year will be of interest. Rubio already signaled that they are likely to go after entitlements to limit the deficit spending. Trump campaigned on not touching SS or Medicare. Another thing that Trump campaigned on was infrastructure spending. Everyone knows we really need this and IMHO would stimulate the economy much more effectively than this tax cut, but my bet is that this is a promise that Trump will not keep.

2017-12-16 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
If I'm reading correctly, I go from a 25% bracket, down to 22%. I don't itemize because I've don't have debt interest to deduct and the rest of the numbers added up are lower than the standard deduction. We also have pretty decent income that is tax free from muni investments, that brings our taxable income down considerably. So if I go from the 25% down to 22% and the standard deduction doubles; looks like it will work in my favor. I still won't believe it until I do my taxes after the plan is in place. No matter what party does a tax overhaul, I'm going to be leery of their claim that it will work in my favor.
2017-12-16 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

+1 Spud. I highlighted a statement that I have heard before. This is an anti-Keynesian economic thinking. It is certainly debatable, but most economists would NOT have supported the government doing nothing in the late days of the Bush early Obama administration. We were in a tailspin and "let the economy correct itself" would very likely have been a disaster. We know this because the great depression started in Oct of 1929 thus the Hoover administration had this fiasco on their hands for over a full year before Roosevelt took over. During this year, Hoover continued the laissez-faire economic approach that his and previous administrations had adopted. Things just got worse and worse and didn't get better until a bolus of gov't spending occurred in 1930. There were plenty of governments that could not or did not stimulate their economies during that time and they recovered much much slower - many did not until after WWII. Again, the Keynesian approach is debatable but this is really well supported macroeconomic theory. Look, with apologies to Dick Cheney, both conservatives and liberals are right: deficits and debt DO matter. Indeed, if interest rates are low and no one is clamoring for the payment of the loan principal then the sky is the limit. However, we all know that we are not going to have low interest rates for ever and if China has an economic disaster and starts needing to draw down on US treasuries we will be in deep do-do. Also, unless we are going to default on the good faith and credit of the USA, we need to pay the interest on those outstanding treasuries. At present this is 6.5% ( https://www.thebalance.com/interest-on-the-national-debt-4119024). When interest rates go up this percentage will go up and will really start to restrict what future generations have to spend on discretionary spending. These are undeniable facts. The next year will be of interest. Rubio already signaled that they are likely to go after entitlements to limit the deficit spending. Trump campaigned on not touching SS or Medicare. Another thing that Trump campaigned on was infrastructure spending. Everyone knows we really need this and IMHO would stimulate the economy much more effectively than this tax cut, but my bet is that this is a promise that Trump will not keep.

So here's my thoughts on the bailout stuff.  We had the banks which were failing because they did very bad things.  They did not in any way shape or form get punished for their failures.  The government bailed them out.  That just doesn't sit well with me.  I do agree that without question the economy would have dipped much much deeper had the government not done anything, but the people who did bad things would have gone under and the people who didn't would have risen to the top.  That didn't happen.
Then you throw in other bailouts such as the automotive bailouts?  What the heck is that for?  They did dumb stuff and made bad decisions and then we bailed them out?  But the automobile companies that didn't do bad things and didn't make bad decisions didn't get bailed out and weren't allowed to rise to the top.  This is the exact opposite of economics and results in the government picking winners and losers based on who gave them the most money.
Then you look at QE continuing for years and years to falsely prop up the stock market.  Trillions of dollars was added to the debt and given to banks, but the government knew the banks couldn't lend it out so they all just dumped it into the stock market to make money on the free money.  Hence the stock market went up almost exactly in step with the QE money dumping.  It was completely unnecessary and only done so Democrats could say the "economy" was doing good by pointing at the stock market.

I'm not cold hearted enough to say that the government shouldn't have done anything, but the $10T of what they did do was completely unnecessary and wasteful.  They needed to let businesses fail that deserved to fail.

I still don't get the talking point of this tax cut being for rich people.  I am a rich person by almost every standard.  I have a lot of VERY rich friends and for the most part we're all either paying more or getting maybe very small tax cuts.  One friend makes over $1M a year and it's all W-2 income.  His taxes are going through the roof and he's really pissed.  Yet, I've yet to see a person who is middle income or below that has their taxes truly going up.  It's not a tax cut for the rich, it's just not.

2017-12-16 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

+1 Spud. I highlighted a statement that I have heard before. This is an anti-Keynesian economic thinking. It is certainly debatable, but most economists would NOT have supported the government doing nothing in the late days of the Bush early Obama administration. We were in a tailspin and "let the economy correct itself" would very likely have been a disaster. We know this because the great depression started in Oct of 1929 thus the Hoover administration had this fiasco on their hands for over a full year before Roosevelt took over. During this year, Hoover continued the laissez-faire economic approach that his and previous administrations had adopted. Things just got worse and worse and didn't get better until a bolus of gov't spending occurred in 1930. There were plenty of governments that could not or did not stimulate their economies during that time and they recovered much much slower - many did not until after WWII. Again, the Keynesian approach is debatable but this is really well supported macroeconomic theory. Look, with apologies to Dick Cheney, both conservatives and liberals are right: deficits and debt DO matter. Indeed, if interest rates are low and no one is clamoring for the payment of the loan principal then the sky is the limit. However, we all know that we are not going to have low interest rates for ever and if China has an economic disaster and starts needing to draw down on US treasuries we will be in deep do-do. Also, unless we are going to default on the good faith and credit of the USA, we need to pay the interest on those outstanding treasuries. At present this is 6.5% ( https://www.thebalance.com/interest-on-the-national-debt-4119024). When interest rates go up this percentage will go up and will really start to restrict what future generations have to spend on discretionary spending. These are undeniable facts. The next year will be of interest. Rubio already signaled that they are likely to go after entitlements to limit the deficit spending. Trump campaigned on not touching SS or Medicare. Another thing that Trump campaigned on was infrastructure spending. Everyone knows we really need this and IMHO would stimulate the economy much more effectively than this tax cut, but my bet is that this is a promise that Trump will not keep.

So here's my thoughts on the bailout stuff.  We had the banks which were failing because they did very bad things.  They did not in any way shape or form get punished for their failures.  The government bailed them out.  That just doesn't sit well with me.  I do agree that without question the economy would have dipped much much deeper had the government not done anything, but the people who did bad things would have gone under and the people who didn't would have risen to the top.  That didn't happen.
Then you throw in other bailouts such as the automotive bailouts?  What the heck is that for?  They did dumb stuff and made bad decisions and then we bailed them out?  But the automobile companies that didn't do bad things and didn't make bad decisions didn't get bailed out and weren't allowed to rise to the top.  This is the exact opposite of economics and results in the government picking winners and losers based on who gave them the most money.
Then you look at QE continuing for years and years to falsely prop up the stock market.  Trillions of dollars was added to the debt and given to banks, but the government knew the banks couldn't lend it out so they all just dumped it into the stock market to make money on the free money.  Hence the stock market went up almost exactly in step with the QE money dumping.  It was completely unnecessary and only done so Democrats could say the "economy" was doing good by pointing at the stock market.

I'm not cold hearted enough to say that the government shouldn't have done anything, but the $10T of what they did do was completely unnecessary and wasteful.  They needed to let businesses fail that deserved to fail.

I still don't get the talking point of this tax cut being for rich people.  I am a rich person by almost every standard.  I have a lot of VERY rich friends and for the most part we're all either paying more or getting maybe very small tax cuts.  One friend makes over $1M a year and it's all W-2 income.  His taxes are going through the roof and he's really pissed.  Yet, I've yet to see a person who is middle income or below that has their taxes truly going up.  It's not a tax cut for the rich, it's just not.

Jeez Tony, they dropped the top marginal rate from 39.6 to 37%, significantly raised the inheritance tax threshold, and undoubtedly the business tax cut will result in increased dividends at least for a while. If your rich friends don't benefit from this tax cut they need change their tax accountant.
2017-12-16 11:53 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by tuwood.

That's just the narrative to rile up the illiterate masses that won't bother to look any deeper into the subject. If the democrats were doing the tax overhaul we would be hearing about how the plan would be making the rich pay more and the low income earners paying less. But you already knew that, right?

Divide and conquer. Class warfare keeps the poor and wealthy divided and at odds with each other. If the classes ever got together and took on our government as a united front, they would be forced to unf**k the petty stalemate they've gotten themselves into. Sadly, most people are simply too lazy or too stupid to find more than one source to get their news from. If Fox is telling someone they're paying more because they're wealthy and CNN tells the poor guy that the rich are paying less... they have us bickering amongst ourselves and not directing our ire at them, as it should be.

Our government has us divided damn near 50-50 right down the middle. Either democrat or republican. Each party blaming the other for the messes they've created and nobody owning any of it. Our mass media is dutifully reporting right in line with the party that is ultimately financing their existence. They play up and try to make us believe that a democrat has to be a left wing liberal; while a republican has to be right wing conservative. I vote republican for the most part because they offend me less than the democrats. I don't fit the stereotype on social issues, but will be labeled as racist, anti-(insert class here) merely for voting republican. I favor the republican for their fiscal policy. Yeah, that's stupid because they've proven to be just as irresponsible as the democrats when it comes to fiscal policy. I'm getting tired of all of it, just as my fellow democrats provably are. But as long as they can keep us nipping at each other, they can continue to run roughshod over our country.

We're all getting screwed by the income tax system and will continue to get screwed by it. The higher income people getting screwed the most and we should all be offended by that. But we won't be as long as they can make us jealous of the other guy.

2017-12-16 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Jeez Tony, they dropped the top marginal rate from 39.6 to 37%, significantly raised the inheritance tax threshold, and undoubtedly the business tax cut will result in increased dividends at least for a while. If your rich friends don't benefit from this tax cut they need change their tax accountant.

Can you explain to me why you appear to be upset about inheritance taxes? Why should my kids have to pay tax on money that I already paid tax on? My kids were subjected to the same sacrifices we made in order to save for retirement, so they have skin in the game. My girls shared a bedroom and bathroom while growing up, both work for spending money. Now all our financial diligence is paying off and things are comfortable. Then, I die and they have to pay tax on my estate, that has already been taxed? How is that anyone's business how much someone's family inherits? That's just bending over and giving our government more money to throw in the trash.

2017-12-16 12:21 PM

Master
, California

I think the point here is that we're dealing with a global economy nowadays.  If the big 3 had been allowed to go under, you can take an educated guess where the auto manufacturing would be now (China).  This also would've resulted in much much higher unemployment in the USA.  Consumer spending drives 2/3 of the economy and this would have resulted in a vicious circle of less spending = more businesses going under = less employment = less spending.  Much like the great depression.

My grandmother is still alive and has some remarkable memory of how that whole thing went.

2017-12-16 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Originally posted by mdg2003 Can you explain to me why you appear to be upset about inheritance taxes? Why should my kids have to pay tax on money that I already paid tax on? My kids were subjected to the same sacrifices we made in order to save for retirement, so they have skin in the game. My girls shared a bedroom and bathroom while growing up, both work for spending money. Now all our financial diligence is paying off and things are comfortable. Then, I die and they have to pay tax on my estate, that has already been taxed? How is that anyone's business how much someone's family inherits? That's just bending over and giving our government more money to throw in the trash.

I know you are replaying to Oysterboy, but for the record, I am not against that change (see my Tax Reform post on this board).  But what ticks me off is that the middle class benefits are being paid for by the deficit spending, and expiring.  Meanwhile the business tax rate change and items that help the rich are permanent.

Make the whole effing thing permanent or make it all sunset in 10 years.  I don't care which.  But as it stands right now, it is blatantly unfair.

Edited by spudone 2017-12-16 12:25 PM
2017-12-16 12:26 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Honestly, I'm not upset about anything other than the fact that we are passing on an inevitable tax hike to our grandkids (and as they are currently unborn I can't get that upset). As the principal point of this "tax reform" was to lower the business tax rate they could have made this tax bill revenue neutral through several mechanisms by just reforming some of the BS loopholes that have been put in the code over the last decade or so. One thing that does have me a bit upset was the fact that Trump said he would fix the earned income tax credit but they didn't even touch this.

As for the inheritance tax, we will long have the fight about whether perpetual generational wealth is a good thing for our society. But the fact that this new tax bill limits SALT write-offs, the republicans have taken the argument that we should not tax taxed income off the table.
2017-12-16 12:47 PM

Master
, California

I didn't read through the full bill yet but just curious - did they make any changes to the carried interest provision?

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » New Tax Bill Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

tax reform - where do you stand? Pages: 1 2

Started by spudone
Views: 1791 Posts: 47

2017-09-28 9:12 AM tuwood

And now bill maher..

Started by Left Brain
Views: 668 Posts: 6

2017-06-05 2:47 PM Hook'em