General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ankle situation - best running shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-29 6:13 PM

User image

Subject: Ankle situation - best running shoes?
I stoped training 3 years ago because of a pain in my ankle . I am now starting again, combining walking and slow jogging.

I am 56 years old and my weight is 171 pounds.

What running shoes should I use in order to avoid ankle injury?

Thanks!

Helmuth

2018-03-29 7:33 PM
in reply to: trihtrefftz

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ankle situation - best running shoes?
No absolute way to tell from such limited info, but it sounds as if you may be a severe overpronator and may benefit from a support shoe. You should go to a running specialty store and tell them your past problems, then let them do a fitting process. Getting shoes that work with whatever physical limitations you may have is only part of the equation though. You also need to have a sensible training program to get back into running, such a Couch to 5K. Because you've had some problems in the past, do not attempt to self analyze based on what some internet site may say.

Good luck.
2018-04-12 9:59 AM

User image

Sarasota, Florida
Your ankles can be hurting because of a repetitive strain injury to your lower leg muscles. The muscles primarily involved are your tibialis anterior (to the outside of your shin bone, they cause your foot to lean toward the pinky side of your foot), peroneals (on the very outside of your lower leg, they rotate your foot toward your arch) and your calf muscles (which insert into your Achilles tendon and lift your heel up off the ground). When any or all of these muscles are tight, you feel it in your ankle, and also they cause plantar fasciitis pain in your arch.

I've been working with endurance athletes since 1989, teaching them how to self-treat the muscles that cause injuries due to repetitive strain. The self-treatments are simple to do, and I teach them, and a LOT more, in my book "The Pain-Free Athlete." You can also see them on my Instagram posts (@JulstroMethod). You self-treat these muscles with a tennis ball, and with the knee of your opposite leg. I suggest you do the treatments every day until you no longer feel pain, and then always do them after you have had a long training run or race.

Wishing you well,
Julie Donnelly

YOU are your own Best Therapist? Visit www.FlexibleAthlete.com and www.JulstroMethod.com to discover logical solutions to chronic aches and pains, and sports injuries.

2018-04-12 10:09 AM
in reply to: Donskiman

Originally posted by Donskiman

No absolute way to tell from such limited info, but it sounds as if you may be a severe overpronator and may benefit from a support shoe. You should go to a running specialty store and tell them your past problems, then let them do a fitting process. Getting shoes that work with whatever physical limitations you may have is only part of the equation though. You also need to have a sensible training program to get back into running, such a Couch to 5K. Because you've had some problems in the past, do not attempt to self analyze based on what some internet site may say.

Good luck.

So on board with the specialty running shoe stores. I knew so little about my feet and shoes when I started. And paid for it with 'issues'.

Good running shoes are expensive, yet worth every penny.
2018-04-12 10:10 AM

User image

Buttercup

Get thee to your local running store and get a gait analysis and shoe fitting.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ankle situation - best running shoes? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Advice..good bike/good deal?

Started by mikeymac
Views: 1197 Posts: 5

2017-11-28 8:38 PM pistuo

To run or not to run?

Started by teamHaggiethemrs
Views: 791 Posts: 6

2017-08-18 4:03 PM teamHaggiethemrs

Running shoe insoles

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 442 Posts: 1