Other Resources The Political Joe » Kennedy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-04-02 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Kennedy
No, not the "legendary lover" JFK, I'm talking Justice Anthony Kennedy. A lot of talk about him retiring soon. Some say if the dems take the Senate in Nov the seat would likely remain vacant till 2021. I was thinking the same thing.

So here is dems worst nightmare: Kennedy retires this spring and is replaced by another Gorsuch-like justice. Then later this year, 85 yo liberal Ginsburg retires also or has more health issues and has to step down. That would stack the SCOTUS for the next 30 years.

The rep worst nightmare is dems take the Senate in Nov, Kennedy and Ginsburg both hold on till the, and then the dems take the WH (and hold the Senate in 2020.

Laws and executive orders are easily reversed or changed but court precedent tends to be much harder to reverse.

2018-04-02 2:08 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Kennedy
Originally posted by Rogillio

No, not the "legendary lover" JFK, I'm talking Justice Anthony Kennedy. A lot of talk about him retiring soon. Some say if the dems take the Senate in Nov the seat would likely remain vacant till 2021. I was thinking the same thing.

So here is dems worst nightmare: Kennedy retires this spring and is replaced by another Gorsuch-like justice. Then later this year, 85 yo liberal Ginsburg retires also or has more health issues and has to step down. That would stack the SCOTUS for the next 30 years.

The rep worst nightmare is dems take the Senate in Nov, Kennedy and Ginsburg both hold on till the, and then the dems take the WH (and hold the Senate in 2020.

Laws and executive orders are easily reversed or changed but court precedent tends to be much harder to reverse.

No, we have the McConnell rule in effect now. No SCOTUS unless the same party is in the White House and the Senate. For the dems to take over the Senate is a heavy lift, I think most analysts have the senate shading GOP in 2018 as 6 years ago (2012) was an Obama election year, but not impossible.
2018-04-02 2:18 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Kennedy
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Originally posted by Rogillio

No, we have the McConnell rule in effect now. No SCOTUS unless the same party is in the White House and the Senate. For the dems to take over the Senate is a heavy lift, I think most analysts have the senate shading GOP in 2018 as 6 years ago (2012) was an Obama election year, but not impossible.

No to what? Agree McConnell did just what the dems....Reid's Rule of simple majority. McConnell simply extended that to the simple majority to the 'advise and consent' function of Congress as the founding fathers established originally.

Oh wait, you mean not replacing Scalia till Obama was gone. Yeah, that was political hardball at it's finest. LOL

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Kennedy Rss Feed