Dallas Athletes Racing
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 42s
Overall Rank = 72/126
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Up about 3:45, had a bagel and a DDP, got ready and went to the bathroom. Everything had been packed up the night before, except the bike. Left the house about 5:00am
Event warmup:

Set up transition, gabbed with TSW, her brother, and our nephew, then put on the wetsuits and splashed around in the water a bit.
Swim
  • 13m 31s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Solid swim; wanted to beat 15 minutes and smoked that goal. Didn't feel like it was going to be that way because I got a little winded during the early scrum and was concerned that would impact me the rest of the way. But I didn't see anybody from the group behind me until almost the turn back home, which is later than I normally would. Stuck with my basic strategy (10-12 strokes, then up to doggie paddle a bit to sight and catch my breath), and I kept that up until I started to feel dirt under my fingernails near the swim exit. The breathing intervals were longer than I wanted, because I'd gotten winded early, but I kept swimming and I guess kept more or less on line. After the turn for home, I had to belch a few times, which is a sure sign I did some gasping along the way, so need to keep relaxed more in the water. Pretty sure I saw a fish below me at one point, a first for one of these swims.
What would you do differently?:

Try to keep a little calmer, even if it means swimming a little slower, early until everyone sorts themselves out.
Transition 1
  • 04m 16s
Comments:

Love having wetsuit strippers on hand, makes it so easy. Longer T1 because there's about a quarter-mile run up to the transition area, plus getting on the ground for the strippers. I also chose to put socks on in T1, had to sit down to do that and they went on a little slow. Given all of this, surprised T1 wasn't longer.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 54m 41s
  • 16.1 miles
  • 17.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Solid bike, pretty pleased. Still frustrated I can't go faster than 18mph, but I'm certainly good with this. Maintained a relatively consistent pace, I think, and tried to take it easier on the hills, particularly the two that were longer and steeper; actually dropped to the small ring for those. Great day for a ride through some pretty country; got some queer looks from some of the local horses, who probably don't see this kind of activity every day. Road and shoulder surface were pretty much terrible most of the ride.

Nothing; good ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Decent T2. One of my shoes didn't cooperate too well going on, which took a little longer. But going with bungee laces to save the tying time is good.

Nothing. OK transition given I'm not riding and running sockless.
Run
  • 31m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Fell just shy of breaking the 10:00 pace mark, quite frustrating, but this was at least a much better run than in my two previous races. Knee was "there" but not like it has been. After 12 minutes I implemented a 1/2//3/2/1 strategy, pushing hard-ish for the interval, then jogging easily for an equal interval. Part of the three-minute interval was uphill, so that made it slower than I'd hoped. Hardest part was the first half mile, just getting legs going. Walked through the water stops so I could throw some water down, and for a few seconds during some of the rest intervals.

Just gotta keep pushing, remember even a little walking can mess up the time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and relived the race with J3, cut up with TSW and her brother. Took high fives for completing my 50th tri. Discussed breakfast plans

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run was the culprit here. Still don't feel fully trained there, but still a pretty good race. And a solid result for my 50th event.

Event comments:

Great event for DAR, my second year in a row doing this; they just do a great job and bring a really fun "let's celebrate life and living" vibe to their events. Pretty accommodating too. TSW asked the announcer if he could give me a shout out for this being my 50th triathlon, and he was happy to do it. Even added a comical bit about TSW looking for me to repay her for all of the race fees over the years.

Last updated: 2018-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:31 | 500 yards | 02m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/126
Performance: Good
Suit: Zone3 Full
Course: Clockwise Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:41 | 16.1 miles | 17.67 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back from state park. Rolling hills, including a couple of steeper ones,.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:24 | 03.1 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back with a couple of little side jogs, all on paved trails through the state park. Almost all shaded.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes