United States
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 25m 18s
Overall Rank = 8/30
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:40am to eat, pack the car. Drove 115 miles to Prescott, AZ, by 7:30am. Had a little coffee on the way and enjoyed the beautiful drive.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1/4mi and stretched to warm up, it was a little chilly (compared to Phoenix)! Didn't realize the race was starting on the side of a mountain, and the start line was pointed UP. Uh oh.
Run
  • 25m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Going from Phoenix (1000'elev) to Prescott (6200'elev) was a huge change. In the first 1/4 mile I was wheezing like one of my lungs had stopped working. Then with a constant hill climb until the turn-around , I was in trouble.

Managed to stay fairly close to the front, passing a few people on some of the steeper parts. Once I hit the turn-around, I flew down the hill. Probably averaged a 9 min pace up and 7 min pace back. Felt good the whole way with just a little cramp towards the end. Too much water/coffee before the race?
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe push harder up the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged around and stretched a little. Ate a banana, yogurt, some water. Cheered on other finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Elevation and hills hurt me. Not much of either in my hometown. This race was to help with a duo early next month being held near Flagstaff, AZ, at 8000' elev.

Event comments:

Good pre/post race refreshments. Started right on time and there were plenty of helpful volunteers. Total turnout was around 75 people for the 10k, 5k, 2mi, so it was small. Surprisingly it was the first race I've done where racers stayed around the finish line to cheer for other finishers. Had a nice small town feel.

Pictures show the drive up to the race site and a happy finisher!

I don't know how big my AG was, but I got 2nd. My first hardware!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-09-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:18 | 03.11 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 0/30
Performance: Good
HR was way too high early on with the steepest of the hills.
Course: http://www.groomcreek.org/run/Race_Elevation.pdf What a course. It started with a fairly steep climb for about 3/4 mi to the highway, then changed to a moderate climb to the turn-around. Keep in mind, this is at around 6200' elevation.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes