General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » To Tri or Not to Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-03 6:18 PM

User image

Subject: To Tri or Not to Tri
Hi everyone!

I'm brand spanking new here. I found BT because I'm debating racing this weekend.

I'm a married, father of 2, working 1 &1/2 jobs and somehow trying to find the time to do sprint triathlons. (The 1/2 job is pretty much to cover my triathlon habbit)

I've always been athletic, playing sports growing up and men's club rugby after college. I retired from rugby after dislocating my shoulder several times.

About a year ago I didnt have a training plan and was not where I wanted to be in terms of fitness. After cheering on my best friend in his first sprint triathlon, I decided that I'd try doing a Triathlon and that would help motivate me to work out.

Now I have 3 sprints under my belt, my first was last August and I've done 2 this spring. The first one I over trained for, I probably did enough training for an Olympic. After the holidays, some laziness, & a month of bronchitis, I wasn't where I wanted to be for my second. After more laziness, and a last minute push, my third Sprint sucked, but I made it. Now I was planning on racing this weekend, but I really don't feel like I'm in shape for it.

I'm pretty sure I could finish it. It wouldn't be pretty, I'd probably end up walking a chunk of the run. So my question is do I suck it up, push through it, or skip it and focus on the next race?

2018-07-05 12:37 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: To Tri or Not to Tri

It's your life, which means it's your $$ and your time.  If you want to race knowing that you'll likely walk much of the run and you want to spend precious $$ and time that way, sign up and do it.  Alternatively, if you'll leave the race grouching at your supportive family because you didn't perform to your expectations, skip it.  

You can wait for another race, but know that tomorrow isn't guaranteed.  You can suffer a bike accident in training.  You can have a family emergency that trumps that future race.  You can get sick or injured (I missed doing a planned HIM twice). What you cannot do is back up time and do this race after deciding initially to not do it.  

2018-07-05 5:25 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Yep. I came to a similar conclusion. I stepped back and took a look at my goals and motivation, and realized it was just another excuse. I'm doing this for my own health wellness and enjoyment. Skipping just because I won't make a personal best is a poor reason.
2018-07-11 12:30 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

So did you do it?

I can relate to your feeling of skipping just because it won't be a personal best. I make a lot of excuses of why I probably won't perform well in training and in racing. I raced last weekend in a sprint and was already planning my excuses in my head but I had a PR, so maybe I need to stop holding myself back!

Hope the race was fun!
2018-07-14 9:31 AM
in reply to: Passionforpotential

User image

Thanks. I was right about my fitness.. My times weren't quite as bad as I feared, but the run sucked! However, the course was beautiful and now I'm determined to race it again in top shape.
The Ft. De Soto Series in St. Petersburg, FL is a local sprint/international series, it probably doesn't make most people's radar, I'd suggest putting it on your bucket list just for the course though.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » To Tri or Not to Tri Rss Feed