United States
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 45m
Overall Rank = 1/3
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

It was cold and rainy. We got there later than we usually would (around 5:50-6), I chatted with people, set up transition, and it was already time to start. After we gathered for the pre-race meeting,though, they stalled for a long time (over 15 minutes) so we ended up starting late. It was for the best, because it was much brighter out and probably safer for the swim.
Event warmup:

Um . . . some arm circles while we were waiting at the swim start. They also had my wave out there treading water for a long time because they had to pull a guy from the wave before ours out of the water and the boats were in our way.
Swim
  • 06m 58s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim. They held us in the water for a long time and then there was a weird start where the RD said "5 seconds" and then partially pressed the horn, so we weren't sure whether to go - he really pressed the horn a few seconds later. Once I knew it was the real start, I went like I was shot out of a cannon. The girl next to me also went out fast. I think she was a little ahead of me at first, but we basically swam together through the first two buoys. After that, the course turned slightly left, so I changed course and ended up swimming right over the back of her. Not sure if that threw her off or something - I had to stop and breaststroke over to the other side of her - but I ended up ahead of her from shortly after that point. When I got to the turn buoy, I got a bit confused since the course was a little different. I thought we were turning, but stopped to clear my goggles and do breaststroke to confirm. I think the problem was that, despite being the third wave, there was almost no one in front of us because they held us for so long while they pulled someone out of the water. Once I got around the buoy, I was golden (and basically alone). I had no problems getting over to the dock and turning into the boat launch (where I usually run into a ton of traffic from earlier waves). I was a bit slow and tentative on the swim exit because I know that boat ramp has a big step - I have stubbed my toes on it multiple times this summer - but I managed to avoid it and jog out to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a really great swim for me. I felt strong and calm - there was nothing to annoy or frustrate me out there.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

I jogged into transition, got over to my things, and put my helmet on. Then I wiped my arms off a bit and started on my shoes. Jeff came in while I was there, so I chatted a bit while I got my shoes on. Another woman, Jess Reichert (who I talked to before the swim at NJ State last year and works with Beth Coleman), came in while we were talking and managed to get out before me. That rushed me a bit, I think, and I decided I didn't need my bike windbreaker - a decision I regretted as soon as I got to the mount line.

Toweling off my arms slowed me down a bit and was probably unnecessary because of the rain. It made me more comfortable in the very short term, but cost a little time The main thing that slowed me down was my watch, which I forgot to take off until I'd already unracked my bike. In the future, that needs to come off as I'm running into transition and put on my bike right away.
Bike
  • 36m 22s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to attack the bike, because that was it for me. I was able to get up to speed well and really tried to both keep up a high cadence and push the envelope. I passed a few people right away, but couldn't catch Jess ahead of me, though she was within sight most of the time. When I got over the Turnpike and to the first left turn, the police officer clearly did not think I was coming up as quickly as I was and was telling a small box truck to go through. I wasn't willing to slow down, so I signaled that I was turning and then yelled "I'm going through! I'm going through!" I took a shallow angle at the turn so I could get in there early and the truck, which ended up turning behind me, paused, so it all worked out. But really, I was way too close to the intersection for the officer to be giving traffic the right of way (and signalling ME to stop!) After that, I just focused on trying to bike hard the whole way. and tried to catch Jess. I got her with about two miles to go, as we were headed back toward Hightstown. I was really paranoid that she would come right back at me, so I went really hard toward the finish. I did slow down enough to be safe at the end.

Nothing now. This was an excellent bike for me today. In the future, though, I need to train harder on the bike, because me working hard because I don't have to run after isn't that much different from my normal bike leg. I need more than one internal gear.
Post race
Warm down:

I hung around until Jeff came into T2, and then walked (limped a little - my hip did bother me a little afterward) over to the finish line. I had thrown on a long-sleeved shirt and long pants after I finished, but once I got to the finish line, got my medal, and stood around for a bit, I was really cold. Warmer clothes would have made me much happier as we waited for the results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury to my hip flexor prevented me from doing the tri as planned, but the aqua bike turned out to be an awesome option for me.

Last updated: 2018-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:58 | 500 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 1/3
Performance: Good
Suit: zoot tri top and shorts
Course: Upstream toward the bridge where there was one turn buoy and then a diagonal line took us in to the dock. Different from past years, when the course was much more squared off.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:22 | 11.2 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 1/3
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out, loop, and back down county roads that are fairly well maintained.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge