General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » So, So, Incredibly New Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-09-11 10:53 AM

Subject: So, So, Incredibly New
Hi, my name is Natalie. I'm so new I didn't even know a super sprint tri was shorter than a sprint tri... just sayin'.

I am determined to lose weight. I have found that when I have a goal to work for, it makes it a little easier. So, I decided on a super sprint tri. I've got the run down. I mean, I'm very slow, but I can run consistently far enough for a super sprint. I am a novice swimmer and an even more novice cycler.

If anyone has any tips on how to break into these disciplines, that would be wonderful!

I'm also looking for suggestions on a bike. I'm considering a hybrid bike because I'd like it to be useful for more than just an occasional ride/race. I'm not sure about brands, sizes, types, anything.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

2018-09-11 11:13 AM
in reply to: BakerBabe911

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: So, So, Incredibly New

Welcome! 

If you can get hooked up for some swim lessons, you'll make a lot of progress quickly.  Check out YMCA, college pools, and Master's Swimming (some Master's programs provide more instruction than others).  

A hybrid bike makes a lot of sense if you're only going to have ONE bike.  Go visit ALL of your local bike shops, ask questions, take test rides.  Chances are, one of the shops will have a bike that you like and one will have sales people you like (if you're lucky, the bike and salespeople you like are in the same shop).  

In addition to the bike, you'll need a helmet, floor pump, water bottle (and holder), spare tube, tool kit, and something to put the tool kit and tube in.  You might also get a frame pump or inflator because most of us aren't lucky enough to get a flat at home.  PRACTICE replacing the tube (a good sales person/mechanic might coach you).  

You won't need (YET) bike shoes or clipless pedals.  Your choice whether you get bike shorts now or wait.  They make a huge difference on road bikes, maybe not so much on a hybrid.  

If you're riding around town, you may want a rack and bike lock/cable in case you stop at a coffee shop or store.  

When you ride, ALWAYS have ID (and not just on your phone)!!

2018-09-12 1:03 PM
in reply to: BakerBabe911

Welcome to the madness. The good madness.

I too, used tri to keep losing weight. I didn't know there were triathlons that weren't a bazillion miles long.

I used a hybrid for 2 years before I graduated to a road bike and then onwards. And of all my bikes, my hybrid is my favorite. It's like riding a pillow. And I use it to tool around up to the pool, down to the coffee shop, or out with the kids. It goes places my other bikes won't go.

I'm a big proponent on saving money up front on bikes. Doesn't mean get a junker. But if you get a name brand like Trek, Cannondale, Specialized (others can chime in with brands), etc. you're in better shape, I think than a Big Box Store import. I wouldn't shy away from used ones. But, you may look at spending $100 or so..or more to have it tuned up, or maybe some new cables and stuff if it's been sitting for awhile.

The more you save up front, the more you have later when you get bike envy. And you'll get bike envy. Then again, if you expect to do a lot of tooling around like I do on a hybrid...even after graduating to more specialized bikes, it doesn't hurt to have a good one.

Swim a lot. The more you swim, the more confident you'll be when you do. It's also the discipline you'll make the most progress at the fastest. Assuming you weren't a swim teamer or aren't already a swimmer. It's the binary part of the racing. You can gut out rides and runs, but swimming is a little more difficult to "gut out" unless you're in a pool and don't mind hanging on to the edge.

Enjoy the moments when you go "one mile further" or spend your first full hour out there sweating.
2018-09-12 6:58 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by jhaack39

I wouldn't shy away from used ones. But, you may look at spending $100 or so..or more to have it tuned up, or maybe some new cables and stuff if it's been sitting for awhile.

Swim a lot. The more you swim, the more confident you'll be when you do. It's also the discipline you'll make the most progress at the fastest. Assuming you weren't a swim teamer or aren't already a swimmer. It's the binary part of the racing. You can gut out rides and runs, but swimming is a little more difficult to "gut out" unless you're in a pool and don't mind hanging on to the edge.

Enjoy the moments when you go "one mile further" or spend your first full hour out there sweating.

^^This^^.

Nothing loses value faster than used sports equipment. There are likely plenty of people selling bikes that will work as a starter...probably at prices that are 20 cents on the dollar. If you hit your local bike shops you can learn about sizing that's optimal for you. You can also learn about the various bike features. Once you have the base knowledge you can shop for a used bike to get started and save significant bucks....which you can invest in swim lessons!

Good luck! Have fun!

Steve
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » So, So, Incredibly New Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New to BT. Not new to tri

Started by RowToTri
Views: 877 Posts: 3

2018-06-13 1:54 AM ethanscott

New to this website but helping triathletes since 2001

Started by JulieDonnelly
Views: 631 Posts: 2