United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 5s
Overall Rank = 6/49
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Ate breakfast. Rode 1 mile to course. Did a couple bike laps around course. Set up transition marked . got body marked
Event warmup:

Ran 2 laps around entire block. Swam in indoor pool. Was too warm. Did some warmup laps in lain.
Swim
  • 06m 39s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

You swing 17 lengths with a counter on the end to keep track. You share a lane with someone sles too.
Swam in the same lane as one of the masters coaches. This was good in that I had someone in front of me to try to keep up with. I was steady with her for the first 150 but then messed up a flip turn and she pulled way away from me. I stopped doing flip turns after that. If I was smart I would have kept up for drafting.
What would you do differently?:

Keep up to draft
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Run from the pool, out the big gate (normally closed) and to T1 on the lawn infront of the swim center. Timing mat is in between the pool and T1 but I think they did math to subtract some time on the swim.

I had trouble getting my socks on. different socks
Bike
  • 18m 16s
  • 10 kms
  • 32.85 km/hr
Comments:

The course is a square around the high school and Albany Memorial Park. You do 11 laps on the 0.55 mile course with each "leg" of the square about .14 miles. Therefore, it is impractical to get into aero position and I don't see anyone in the aero position.

I passed a lot of slower bikes. The organizers try to get the faster bikers in the first heat and I was in the second heat so that is not his fault. One person passed me at the very end as I slowed to get out of my shoes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Got caught up with another participant entering transition. My spot was right where the bike in goes. So we "danced" around each other. Then apologized to her so I was in transition longer than I should have been.

Not run over Innocent people in the transition area.
Run
  • 12m 18s
  • 2.6 kms
  • 04m 44s  min/km
Comments:

Part of the course is over grass/dirt. (You can run in the street but you are coming at bikes and a city van was also parked in the street.) I always checked my watch there so I felt really slow. Then got a time under 8 min/mile so I was happy.

I really wanted to try to run at 7 min mile but my mind refused to let my legs run that fast. I am happy with 7:41
Post race
Warm down:

got a massage

Event comments:

I'm going to say this is the best because this was my first triathlon 5 years ago. The race is for beginners and it is a great place to start. The race director has that in mind and tries to arrange the heats so that people of similar abilities are biking and swimming together. Distances are all short and manageable. I think Steve (the director) said that over half the people doing the race were doing their first triathlon. Also it is a super sprint so this is a good distance for those wanting to see what is like.

The experienced athletes are all friendly and helpful.

The money goes to benefit Albany sports so it goes for a good cause.

There is food after races (again, brazen racing has ruined me for any other post race spread) and lots of massage tables and not a long wait.

Last updated: 2018-10-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:39 | 400 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 7/49
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Swim 17 length in the Albany high pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:40
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:18:16 | 10 kms | 32.85 km/hr
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 5/49
Wind: Some
Course: Start west on Portland from T1. Turn right on Key Route. 1 block, turn right on Thousand Oaks. Make first right onto Carmel. Go 1 block, turn right onto Portland. Repeat 10 more times for 11 laps total (each lap is 0.55 miles).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:12:18 | 02.6 kms | 04m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 10/49
Course: 3 laps around the park and school. This year though they have runners cross behind transition so that they do not cross paths with bikes going into transition. This put it as 1.6 miles. In the past, you stuck to the street but did an extra half lap to end up by the tennis courts. This was not an option this year because of construction
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes