General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have set the standard low. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-17 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Subject: I have set the standard low.
I decided to do my mock triathlon today since I planned on doing a 5k run on the 27th. I did well in the swim portion considering I have actually spent little time training. I usually do water aerobics or goof of with my sister in law instead of training for the swim. Time was 11.54, I did not do flip turns and my suit kept falling down. It took me five and a half minutes to change and get upstairs to the bike. I felt really good on the bike and felt could have gone faster if I could have found the right settings. I was averaging about 86 rpms. I usually average about 78 when training. Had lots of energy at the end. time was 47.36 Took me all of about 30 seconds to fill up my water bottle and head for the treadmill. I started off ok averaging 4 miles an hour for the first mile but then developed a shooting pain in my calf going up my leg after a quartermile the pain was so bad I slowed down to a walk. It took a while before the pain went away but only ran an additional halfmile and walked the rest for a time of 52.55. :-( Although I am very discouraged with the run portion I was pleased with the rest and feel by the time I do this again in february I will be a very happy camper with my improvement.
However the run portion has caused me to realize how much I have to improve it and makes me wonder if it is even worth showing up at the 5k. While in the summertime there are many people out there running and some with bad times in the winter the more serious runners only tend to show up I looked at last years race standings and the slowest runners time was 36 minutes. My best 5k in working out has been a 43 minute. Since I am not a quitter, I will run the race but with have to set a much slower finishing goal of 45 minutes.
The 30 minute goal was too fast anyways for where I am at. Thanks for listening to me grumble.

Edited by kgart 2003-12-17 11:24 AM

2003-12-17 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2628

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: I have set the standard low.
Congrats on finishing your Tri....I am hoping to find a way to do one here soon. My problem is I don't have a pool (local HS) where I run (home) or bike (gym). Don't be too bothered/discouraged by your time nor your feelings about the run. It was only a 'to see where I am at' training run. Depending on what your goals are for the 'real' races, if it is just to finish and have fun, you finished this one, right?

Speaking towards the 5k, if most of your training is on a treadmill there are a few things to take into consideration going into your race. First they are different in that running on a road is a little more difficult on the body so at first you may feel tight. Second, in a race you will be running with others and that should help your pace, especially if you haven't run much with others. The trick is to stick to your planned pace and not to try to keep up with the pack. My first road race was a 10K and I had only run 4 miles once during training at about a 10 min pace. When I ran the race my goal was just that 1 hr. I finished in 54 minutes, quicker than I had planned, farther than I had ever ran and other than being dead at the end feeling very good about the accomplishment. My suggestion is to take the who cares attitude about your time. Treat it like a training run, afterall you aren't trying to qualify for the Olympics on the 27th, but rather trying to improve yourself and this is a great opportunity to do just that. If you want to really feel bad, don't look at the last place time, look at the winners time......I know they could run a 10K and beat my 5K time. :-) Chin up dude, you are working on bigger things than these runners, how many of them swim, bike then run?
2003-12-17 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Rio, Thanks for the encouragement. I have also been training on an indoor track and on the road but the snow is pretty bad this year. I think that is why I am so discouraged with my 5k time because I know it will be even slower on the road but as you said this is just to see where I stand for now and It will improve. Once again, Thank You.
2003-12-17 2:25 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Did you learn something from doing your mock tri? If you learned one thing, no matter how big or small it was, it was a great event for yourself. Great report!
Keep up the good work!

Still Tri'n,
Michael
2003-12-17 5:00 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
yeah, u better show up at the 5k!  your mock tri was a success in my book...it made u evaluate where your at relative to your goal...it gave u a chance to re-access what u need to focus on to acheive your goals in 2004.  better knowing now than race day.  u have some running to work on.  check out that 5k...and run your race like u planned.  look forward to hearing about it.
2003-12-17 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2631

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
No problem.....I can promise you I will need the encouragement myself along the way. I am thinking of doing the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon in May. I am sure I will need some pushing/pulling and possibly even carrying to get that one done. ;-)

2003-12-18 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Congratulations on finishing your mock tri! Great job! You now know that you are able to finish and have that confidence. You alos know what you need to work on. Maybe add some bike to run bricks to get your body used to it? Don't worry about your times compared to others. If the winner of your race went to a big event such as olympic trials, they would probably finish in the back too. It's all relative! Strive to do YOUR best and not someone else. You just accomplished something that > 90% of people never have! Great job!
2003-12-18 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
Awesome job on finishing your tri. It is never easy to keep going when your not meeting your expectations and your body is asking yourself why are you doing this. However, your building your mental toughness and just finishing your mock is a job well done! As you said, your not a quitter and I believe you. Just showing up takes a good amount of guts and finishing the distance in any amount of time is an accomplishment not everyone can attain. And hey, you may find some extra adrenalin on race day, just don't over do it.
2003-12-19 10:09 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: I just checked in...great way to start off the season!!!
2003-12-20 7:40 AM

kgart - youre an animal for pushing through and finishing your mock tri - congrats! have fun running through the roch cha cha snow in the 5k - youve already proved to yourself that youre not a quitter so enjoy the run and keep everything at your pace. as people have said - there are prob gonna be a bunch of stick men at the 5k who just run but you have bigger fish to fry and a couple other sports to worry about. pls keep us up on how everything goes and good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have set the standard low. Rss Feed